Beakman

July Closer Thread 2017

Johnson imploded just now. But on the bright side I actually need a win more than a save currently lol. But seriously, that was really bad.

nevermind, just replaced. There goes my chance for a win lol

Edited by HaloFanatic17

Familia is getting scooped up in Yahoo, the opportunity to get a closer for free for the stretch run is running out

46 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Familia is getting scooped up in Yahoo, the opportunity to get a closer for free for the stretch run is running out

A LOT of injured are expected to come back soon after the ASB meaning plenty of new open DL slots.  I think an August 1st return might be optimistic for Familia but still the more I read the more it looks like a return this year is happening barring a setback (which is clearly possible given its the mets).  Still he was a stud closer last year and is well worth a look if you're getting an open DL slot this week.

18 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

A LOT of injured are expected to come back soon after the ASB meaning plenty of new open DL slots.  I think an August 1st return might be optimistic for Familia but still the more I read the more it looks like a return this year is happening barring a setback (which is clearly possible given its the mets).  Still he was a stud closer last year and is well worth a look if you're getting an open DL slot this week.

Castro,  Davis,  etc 

7 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Castro,  Davis,  etc 

Conforto/McCarthy are back today.  Nunez, Hendricks, Holliday, Salazar (if for some reason you still own Salazar).  Even Bumgarner and Trout look like they're getting close.

12 hours ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Johnson imploded just now. But on the bright side I actually need a win more than a save currently lol. But seriously, that was really bad.

nevermind, just replaced. There goes my chance for a win lol

Haha I own Rodney and Johnson - suffered back to back epic implosions.  Jim Johnson job should be secure for now.

5 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

Haha I own Rodney and Johnson - suffered back to back epic implosions.  Jim Johnson job should be secure for now.

Plus the most likely candidate to replace him, Vizcaino, is on the DL.

Like Rodney, it seems Johnson always has a ton of leash. I don't think this is a "dreaded vote of confidence." And yeah, Viz on the DL helps.

Braves fans have nicknamed  Snitker "Game 7" because he uses his bullpen like every game is game 7.

theres no real threat to Johnson now.  AJ Minter has moved up like 4 levels in less than a month.  Will probably be in Atlanta right after the asb.  He has closer stuff, but injury prone

There's no way they remove Reed from the closers role when familia returns this season. Reed has been lights out and 100 times better then familia this season. The chance he has is if Reed gets traded. 

Edited by radioflyer9

7 minutes ago, radioflyer9 said:

There's no way they remove Reed from the closers role when familia returns this season. Reed has been lights out and 100 times better then familia this season. The chance he has is if Reed gets traded. 

He's almost certainly going to be traded

10 minutes ago, radioflyer9 said:

The Mets will have nothing to play for come August 1, chances are they will either trade Reed, or Familia gets the role cause they again have nothing to play for 

Started Suter, started Knebel, and he blows up my whole pitching day...

At least Chapman got a cheap win, but damn not cool 

7 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Freaking Knebel

Dammit!!!

So chances of Reed getting traded seem to be high correct? What about Justin Wilson? Would love to see him go to the Nats

45 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Freaking Knebel

Pretty much.  Hopefully anyone else that pitches today can correct it, but he's been a mess since I traded for him.  I figured I was getting another really good closer to go with Jansen,  but he literally can't find the plate since I got him.

May or may not be overreacting, but I may send him packing in another trade and try again.

1 minute ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Who here watched Chapman?  Did he look better?

Facing Broxton sure helps every pitcher lol.  He looked good

25 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Who here watched Chapman?  Did he look better?

He and Betances looked a lot better, like themselves.  Hope it stays that way.

Could be a good test for Colome today. Tampa currently up 1-0 in the top of the 8th, shaping up to face the middle of the Red Sox order in the 9th. 

35 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Could be a good test for Colome today. Tampa currently up 1-0 in the top of the 8th, shaping up to face the middle of the Red Sox order in the 9th. 

Colome made that look easy...not