Beakman

July Closer Thread 2017

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, ktierne3 said:

Less DL slots = higher quality pickups on the waiver wire

Which can be a negative as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Diaz at it again. Going to get the loss. 

 

He's just been plain bad this year. Really disappointing, a lot of people figured he'd take a step up to the elite tier this year. Instead he's taken a major step back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saves are hard to come by jeez. Diaz and Knebel. Of course Brach with perfect inning non save. 

Edited by Members_Only_76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Saves are hard to come by jeez.

 

They really are.

 

I mean think about it logically: First you need to be winning, it can't be by more that three runs, and you actually need your pitcher to not give up the lead. And there can only be one save recorded per game.

 

That's a lot of variables.

 

Illustrating this, there have been 1,311 wins in the league this year, 21,618 strikeouts, 1,300 holds and only 623 saves.

 

That's why I've never taken my closers for granted.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off topic...

Fwiw, the main reason why most leagues only have 1-3 DL spots was due to website limitations when that DL slot designation was originally created. That's no longer the case, but Like everything else in the fantasy world, leagues are slow to change and we accept the hand full of DL slots as the norm.  Can you imagine if the Mets only had 2 DL slots?  

 

Im of the opinion in dynasty leagues you should have numerous DL slots.  At some point you'll have to cut your roster down to a legal amount anyways.  Im

already seeing competition issues with teams out of the race having to start guys on the DL because they don't want to drop anyone 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

 

They really are.

 

I mean think about it logically: First you need to be winning, it can't be by more that three runs, and you actually need your pitcher to not give up the lead. And there can only be one save recorded per game.

 

That's a lot of variables.

 

Illustrating this, there have been 1,311 wins in the league this year, 21,618 strikeouts, 1,300 holds and only 623 saves.

 

That's why I've never taken my closers for granted.

 

 

Two things that will be way down this year vs last or 2 years ago are saves and 200ip pitchers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep reading how it's definitely Kahnle if Robertson gets dealt. Anybody else think that might not be the case? He was lights out until he started getting save chances. Now he gives up runs every outing. It doesn't seem like he has it to close and would be better in a setup role. Swarzak anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stutin said:

any reason to hold dyson over the break?

If you are talking about Sam Dyson the closer for the SF Giants, I can't understand why you are asking

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stutin said:

any reason to hold dyson over the break?

Yes.  He's the closer, doing good, and who knows how long Melancon will be out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

would like to hear thoughts on the cards situation right now.....

 

the boss or rosie for the 2nd half?

Oh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TC84 said:

I keep reading how it's definitely Kahnle if Robertson gets dealt. Anybody else think that might not be the case? He was lights out until he started getting save chances. Now he gives up runs every outing. It doesn't seem like he has it to close and would be better in a setup role. Swarzak anyone?

I still think Jones ends up the closer in Chicago .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, the real donny baseball said:

 

Any thoughts on his health?I've been trying to keep up with him but haven't seen much.

espn player card from today

 

Jones (elbow) played catch Friday but remains on a cautious rehabilitation schedule, according to manager Rick Renteria, Dan Hayes of CSN Chicago reports. "We're going to continue to take it slow with Jonesy and see what we have to do going into the break," Renteria said.
Spin:
Jones is with the team on its current road trip, which was an encouraging sign, but will slow down his activity over the All-Star break. Presumed to be next in line for saves after closer David Robertson, Jones' immediate future with the White Sox is less clear.
 
news_breaking.png
88x21_RWdotcom_trans.gif
Sun, Jul 9
 
Jones (elbow) joined the White Sox on the team's current road trip, Dan Hayes of CSN Chicago reports.
Spin:
Seeing Jones travel with the White Sox for the first time in three road trips is an encouraging sign, but the right-hander hasn't thrown off a mound in more than a month.
 
 
 
88x21_RWdotcom_trans.gif
Tue, Jul 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

espn player card from today

 

Jones (elbow) played catch Friday but remains on a cautious rehabilitation schedule, according to manager Rick Renteria, Dan Hayes of CSN Chicago reports. "We're going to continue to take it slow with Jonesy and see what we have to do going into the break," Renteria said.
Spin:
Jones is with the team on its current road trip, which was an encouraging sign, but will slow down his activity over the All-Star break. Presumed to be next in line for saves after closer David Robertson, Jones' immediate future with the White Sox is less clear.
 
news_breaking.png
88x21_RWdotcom_trans.gif
Sun, Jul 9
 
Jones (elbow) joined the White Sox on the team's current road trip, Dan Hayes of CSN Chicago reports.
Spin:
Seeing Jones travel with the White Sox for the first time in three road trips is an encouraging sign, but the right-hander hasn't thrown off a mound in more than a month.
 
 
 
88x21_RWdotcom_trans.gif
Tue, Jul 4

 

Well yeah.Everybody is up on that.This is more of an eyes on thing,not an antiquated internet service report deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, the real donny baseball said:

 

Well yeah.Everybody is up on that.This is more of an eyes on thing,not an antiquated internet service report deal.

no need for that comment 

 

do you really think anybody here on this forum has "eyes" and knows any inside scoop on Jones?

 

you're an ???....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, the real donny baseball said:

 

Well yeah.Everybody is up on that.This is more of an eyes on thing,not an antiquated internet service report deal.

 

oh yeah..i am sure there are plenty of peeps on here who work for the sox organization.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

no need for that comment 

 

do you really think anybody here on this forum has "eyes" and knows any inside scoop on Jones?

 

you're an ???....

 

Some people watch games they have played and are familiar with.Thus they can notice intricacies and details that are not discernible to people who have not.

 

 I am sorry if  I offended you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jones has renewed elbow soreness, as per today's reports. He seems more likely to get season-ending surgery than close games this year. I think your "eyes" have deceived you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, quemortal said:

Jones has renewed elbow soreness, as per today's reports. He seems more likely to get season-ending surgery than close games this year. I think your "eyes" have deceived you.

 

he is not looking for "reports"...he is looking for peeps who know jones personally to chime in..

Edited by ASHLANDARROWS1992

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.