Beakman

July Closer Thread 2017

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

I bet Phelps is dealt.  He's a nice asset for playoff contenders out of a bullpen.  Think I saw today Yanks inquired on him.  

i stashed Phelps thinking the same thing, but it is a good bet that Ramos and Phelps will be gone and the reigns turned over to barraclaugh even with his control being erratic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bush has thrown 4 scoreless innings and allowed only 2 base runners this month. Since nobody else has claimed the role anyone else think he could get the first crack post All-Star break ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Buster Olney on espn says teams lining up to get Justin Wilson from Tigers.  Is there a good stash here?

 

They've been using Rondon to set up Wilson the past 2 weeks.  Greene hasn't been great recently.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

They've been using Rondon to set up Wilson the past 2 weeks.  Greene hasn't been great recently.  

 

Rondon hasn't been all that good EVER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good or not, Rondon has been getting the 8th inning duties lately.  That would usually signal he's next in line, although he did get blown up a bit on the 8th.  

 

You'd also have to think the Tigers want Rondon and Jimenez to be their future 8/9 combo, so they want them to succeed.  Despite less than stellar results they keep pushing Rondon into these prominent positions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, handyandy86 said:

Good or not, Rondon has been getting the 8th inning duties lately.  That would usually signal he's next in line, although he did get blown up a bit on the 8th.  

 

You'd also have to think the Tigers want Rondon and Jimenez to be their future 8/9 combo, so they want them to succeed.  Despite less than stellar results they keep pushing Rondon into these prominent positions.

 

I was watching the game last night and it was Greene who got the 8th. Was Rondon unavailable? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thinking of trying to acquire norris, talk though that he may be dealt....any thoughts on him actually closing for a new team IF he does get dealt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Purple Hippo said:

 

I was watching the game last night and it was Greene who got the 8th. Was Rondon unavailable? 

 

Greene looks great in a bullpen role.  He should be closer when J Wilson is moved especially considering Rondon hasn't really shown enough to close imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up Kela just in case he gets the closer gig. Any thoughts on if he might be the closer after the break? It seems like that's the way it was trending before he went on the DL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, radioflyer9 said:

I picked up Kela just in case he gets the closer gig. Any thoughts on if he might be the closer after the break? It seems like that's the way it was trending before he went on the DL

 

I'm holding onto him because I'm like 85% it's gonna be him. I think Bush came in the 6th or 7th inning last night. 

 

It looked like Kela all the way until the DL stint, and only after the fact did the manager announce a 3-way committee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, David Aames said:

anyone think viscaino gets the job soon? also, why was he soooo  bad last year?

Vizcaino is on the DL for a strained finger. Assuming this finger is not a big deal, have to think he would be the favorite to take over if Johnson gets traded. I don't see him taking over  unless Johnson gets traded, hurt or has a couple more blow ups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Purple Hippo said:

 

I was watching the game last night and it was Greene who got the 8th. Was Rondon unavailable? 

 

Rondon was unavailable since he pitched 3 of the precious 4 days. 

 

Also last night Greene actually got the 7th, came back out for the 8th, got an out and then walked the next 2 batters and got the hook for J. Wilson to get a 5 out save. So not exactly a banner game / ringing endorsement for Greene either. 

 

I don't have any bias in this situation and I think whoever got the job could be a gong show, but most recent usage suggests Rondon. If after the ASB the Tigers use Greene in the 8th with Rondon available that would be telling, but yesterday's usage doesn't tell us much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

 

Rondon was unavailable since he pitched 3 of the precious 4 days. 

 

Also last night Greene actually got the 7th, came back out for the 8th, got an out and then walked the next 2 batters and got the hook for J. Wilson to get a 5 out save. So not exactly a banner game / ringing endorsement for Greene either. 

 

I don't have any bias in this situation and I think whoever got the job could be a gong show, but most recent usage suggests Rondon. If after the ASB the Tigers use Greene in the 8th with Rondon available that would be telling, but yesterday's usage doesn't tell us much. 

 

I haven't been following the Detroit situation too closely, I was genuinely asking why Rondon wasn't in there. I had the game on in the background and saw Greene pitching in the 8th.I'll probably be avoiding both guys altogether. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fletch44 said:

Vizcaino is on the DL for a strained finger. Assuming this finger is not a big deal, have to think he would be the favorite to take over if Johnson gets traded. I don't see him taking over  unless Johnson gets traded, hurt or has a couple more blow ups.

 

Also I'd add the likelihood of JJ being dealt seems surprisingly slim. I know everyone automatically pegged ATL as sellers, but all the latest rumors have them buying and making a WC push. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Street is due back right after the break . What happens with him ? 

Bedrosian -Street -Norris until a trade ? Who is the last man standing when the smoke clears ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, motown magic said:

Street is due back right after the break . What happens with him ? 

Bedrosian -Street -Norris until a trade ? Who is the last man standing when the smoke clears ? 

Norris is clearly the closer until/if he gets traded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, street sharks said:

 

I'm holding onto him because I'm like 85% it's gonna be him. I think Bush came in the 6th or 7th inning last night. 

 

It looked like Kela all the way until the DL stint, and only after the fact did the manager announce a 3-way committee. 

 

Bingo! I'm with you, stash Kela everywhere. Everything was pointing towards him before he got put on DL.  I don't think there were any save chances after he got put on DL, so nobody ran with the job.  It really appears that Kela will be the closer or at least given a crack at it when he returns - which should be their first game after ASB.

Edited by champy41

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, motown magic said:

Street is due back right after the break . What happens with him ? 

Bedrosian -Street -Norris until a trade ? Who is the last man standing when the smoke clears ? 

 

Before he went on the DL Street wasn't sniffing 9th inning anyway, so I'm not sure what would change now.  The pretty clear pecking order is Norris is closing, Bedrosian in the 8th, and any combination of Street, Hernandez, Middleton, Parker before that.  

 

Also I wouldn't hold my breath for a trade - Angels are in the WC race and as I outlined in an earlier post, they have almost zero history of selling assets even in their most dire years.  The only way I see a trade happening right now is if LAA actually use their bullpen depth to upgrade another area of need, but for now I think their closing situation is pretty settled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Scott Merkin on Twitter:

 

White Sox reliever Nate Jones underwent nerve repositioning surgery in his right elbow on Tuesday. He will miss the remainder of this season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.