Beakman

July Closer Thread 2017

All I've heard about Phil Maton is his high spin fastball, but all that's gotten him so far is having balls spinning over the outfield fence at a high rate.  I think Yates is the guy there if Maurer and Hand are shipped.  

I'm skeptical there will be much movement at the deadline unless teams get creative or someone caves.  I guess we'll see.  The teams who are or should be sellers are either notoriously difficult to deal with or rarely sell.  Then there's teams like the Rays (who would be in the playoffs as of today) and Royals who many envision as sellers, but really aren't.  

9 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

All I've heard about Phil Maton is his high spin fastball, but all that's gotten him so far is having balls spinning over the outfield fence at a high rate.  I think Yates is the guy there if Maurer and Hand are shipped.  

I'm skeptical there will be much movement at the deadline unless teams get creative or someone caves.  I guess we'll see.  The teams who are or should be sellers are either notoriously difficult to deal with or rarely sell.  Then there's teams like the Rays (who would be in the playoffs as of today) and Royals who many envision as sellers, but really aren't.  

He has only given up 2 homeruns and both in Philly in the last game he pitched. His HR/9 for his MiLB/MLB career is 0.4. Compare that to Yates at 1.7.

23 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

I agree on this point, especially for AL teams.  The last place team is still only 7.5 GB of a playoff spot, and a lot of the "would be" sellers are surprisingly right in the hunt (TB, MIN, KC, LAA, etc).  There are really only 2 or 3 teams that I can see being sellers in the AL, which would be OAK, CWS, and maybe DET.  The Sox look poised to sell after trading Quintana, but Robertson is signed another year, and being patient with their controllable assets certainly worked in netting them a max return for Quintana, so I doubt they trade Robertson unless they get the huge return they want.  OAK and DET have some arms to move, but none that would likely result in them being closers on their new teams.

The NL is a little more wide open, but most of the teams that are definite sellers don't have much to sell.  I think the Nats still need to pick their poison and make a move, which will cause some closer re-shuffling, but for the most part I think this deadline will be more about loading up on reliable MR arms than teams making that big splash.

11 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

He has only given up 2 homeruns and both in Philly in the last game he pitched. His HR/9 for his MiLB/MLB career is 0.4. Compare that to Yates at 1.7.

Those home runs still happened.   I like Maton's future, but Yate's usage and stats so far point towards him next (or third) in line.  

8 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Those home runs still happened.   I like Maton's future, but Yate's usage and stats so far point towards him next (or third) in line.  

Yes, but you have to have a larger sample size to say he is giving HRs up at a high rate. As for Yates I just don't see it, except for the high SO rate. Yates has 1 career save. Maton has been bred a closer and has 30 career minors saves. Yates actually might even be traded as well since he is putting up the best numbers in his career. He was awful up until this year. Might as well cash in on this.

^  Agree with that... but Yates was bred as a closer too in the Tampa system.  Not sure how many saves he had, but it was quite a few.  I do feel like Maton is the better long term spec there, but Yates being the guy who would get saves if Hand & Maurer were dealt today.  

7 hours ago, RenegadeGM said:

From Scott Merkin on Twitter:

White Sox reliever Nate Jones underwent nerve repositioning surgery in his right elbow on Tuesday. He will miss the remainder of this season

Remember the guy who assured us his "eyes" were telling him Jones would be closing soon?

Is it time to pickup  Arodys Vizcaino!? It seems like he was going to get a chance before he hit the DL with how bad Jim Johnson has been. Plus the fact that Johnson will probably be traded, I assume Vizcaino will take over as closer? Thoughts?

Familia throwing, may be back, may not 

1 hour ago, radioflyer9 said:

Is it time to pickup  Arodys Vizcaino!? It seems like he was going to get a chance before he hit the DL with how bad Jim Johnson has been. Plus the fact that Johnson will probably be traded, I assume Vizcaino will take over as closer? Thoughts?

Theres worse stashes, but it's not given the braves will deal johnson.  

Miami officially announces they want to trade Ramos and Phelps.  If they read this thread they would have known that is what they want to do a month ago.

Keone Kela (shoulder) accompanied the Rangers on their trip to Kansas City.

Kela is nearing a return after missing the past two weeks with shoulder soreness. "I threw this week during the All-Star break and my arm felt great and responded well the next day," he said. "I feel ready, my mind's there." It doesn't look like Kela will be activated on Friday but he should be back at some point during the Rangers' upcoming road trip. Kela could become a closer option upon his return as the Rangers have struggled to find consistency in the ninth inning.

Source: rangers.mlb.com

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/mlb/texas-rangers/article161273213.html

TEXAS RANGERS

JULY 13, 2017 5:24 PM

Closer option Keone Kela hopes to rejoin Rangers’ bullpen in KC

BY STEFAN STEVENSON

sstevenson@star-telegram.com

KANSAS CITY, MO. 

Keone Kela hopes to return to the Rangers’ bullpen in the next few days. The reliever has been on the disabled list with right shoulder inflammation since July 3. He’s eligible on Friday, the day the Rangers start the second half against the Royals at Kaufman Stadium.

Manager Jeff Banister said it’s unlikely Kela will be activated before Friday’s game. Kela said his shoulder responded well after throwing during the All-Star break. He threw long toss during Thursday’s optional workout at Kaufman Stadium.

“It feels really good. I’m pretty confident I’ll be able to come back after the break,” he said. “My body tells me I’m ready. I feel ready, my mind’s there.”

Kela has been suggested by Banister as a likely candidate to assume the closer role, which has been vacant since Matt Bush blew multiple saves in June. Kela said being a closer has always been a career goal, but he isn’t campaigning for the job either.

“The label of being a closer never really swayed how I’m going to pitch,” he said. “I know what comes with being the closer, you have to go out and get the 27th out ... but at the end of the day, I just try to focus on getting those three outs regardless of where they’re at.”

Kela has two saves in his career, including one on May 21 at Detroit.

“I just want to contribute the best I can to the team, I don’t really care where it’s at. If it’s the sixth inning, beautiful, if it’s the ninth beautiful,” said Kela, who has a 2.64 ERA and 42 strikeouts in 30 2/3 innings. “I understand the significance of the ninth inning. I know it’s a role I’d definitely gravitate towards but at the end of the day wherever I pitch I’m happy.”

Stefan Stevenson: 817-390-7760, @StevensonFWST

Looks like J Wilson not saving for the Tigers is almost a sure thing. Who do we like, Greene or Rondon?

40 minutes ago, arthurpete said:

Looks like J Wilson not saving for the Tigers is almost a sure thing. Who do we like, Greene or Rondon?

Why is almost a sure thing? What did I miss?

Just now, dsd10988 said:

Why is almost a sure thing? What did I miss?

I haven't seen anything other than just rumors by beat writers and columnists about teams being interested in Wilson. Nothing at the trade deadline is a sure thing no matter how many rumors are flying around about any given player. 

37 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

I haven't seen anything other than just rumors by beat writers and columnists about teams being interested in Wilson. Nothing at the trade deadline is a sure thing no matter how many rumors are flying around about any given player. 

Nobody said its a for sure thing but every Tiger not nailed down is swirling around the trade rumors....they are clearly open for business. J wilson has been linked to several teams...its only a matter of time. So, whether you want to argue about putting stock into rumors before the deadline is really aside from the point i was getting at...who is the next man up if and when it happens and why? Rondon seems like the logical choice with his past experience but im not tapped in to the situation like others on here, especially Tiger fans.

some sights have alex, some have bruce, some have shane....lol

totally up in the air IF justin gets dealt is what it appears to be.

As a home town Tigers fan I think they'd give Shane the first crack. Rondon was supposed to be the next big thing for us and closing. But from what I've seen I don't think he's got what it takes mentally. Just my two cents and with this team closer has been a sore spot for a long time. It's a hard thing to predict who's next in line and who can handle it really. 

If the plan is to rebuild which I hope it is trading away Wilson makes no sense to me. I guess unless the Tigers can land good young talent. Especially since he seems legit and a young closer would be great to have now and for the future.

Edited by snarf snarf

Yeah the Tigers situation is kind of messy if J Wilson gets dealt. Rondon was horrible in his first few outings with the Tigers in April and continued to struggle with his control in AAA before being called up again this summer so I would honestly be surprised if they went with him. A Wilson hasn't been very good either especially recently, giving up runs in 4 of his last 7 appearances. Greene has been their best bullpen arm, though his K/BB ratio isn't that of what I would want in my closer but my money is on him for now. Though I wouldn't be shocked if Joe Jimenez gets a call and is given a shot.  

Side note for Jimenez...He's been tearing it up again in AAA this year. In 18.2 innings he's only given up 4 runs and he's K'd 29 while walking 10. 

Edited by BostonCajun

2 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

I wouldn't call 10 walks in 19 innings "tearing it up".

Yeah the 10 walks aren't great but the rest of his numbers are really good. ERA of 2.04, FIP of 2.62, xFIP of 2.94, GB% of nearly 40% and HR/9 of .51. Those are all really good numbers. Granted it's still AAA and he did poorly in his first cup of tea this year but he has better stuff than everyone else in that bullpen right now.