Beakman

July Closer Thread 2017

49 minutes ago, b0nfire said:

... he was barely able to hit 99 today 

LOL

What a bum. Get someone else in there ASAP, and send him to the minors. It's only 99. We are so screwed.

feel the ridiculousness

He was probably partying hard during the break, popping bottles of Cristal, choking his old lady and shooting his gun into the air.  All these activities involve different hand muscles and arm motions than throwing a baseball.  He'll be fine, just needs to shake off the rust and get a few innings under his belt.  Buncha worryworts up in here.

51 minutes ago, JCD said:

LOL

What a bum. Get someone else in there ASAP, and send him to the minors. It's only 99. We are so screwed.

feel the ridiculousness

The above is regards Chapman.  99 mph is getting a lot more common than you would think.  Major league batters can hit 99 just fine if the location is off.  Just throwing fast isn't enough these days.  You need control too.  He had no real control tonight.  He had no focus either.  He never checked Mookie on that double steal.  He just really looked kind of out of it.

Dyson in some serious trouble. Bases loaded, already given up a run. 2 outs up by only one now.

Squeeks his way to a shaky save. Don't think there's any worry though. He's been solid for awhile.

Edited by maguirekm

I'm not worried about Dyson either since he's been pretty good for the Giants otherwise.  Sure, it wasn't pretty, but it was still better than a few of the other closers tonight.

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well even leaving out his intentional walk to Hanley he walked tonight none better then to Benintendi.  And hit Moreland with a 99 mph ball that was about a foot inside.  He didn't seem to have much control tonight at all.

That was Betances who hit Moreland. 

6 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

The above is regards Chapman.  99 mph is getting a lot more common than you would think.  Major league batters can hit 99 just fine if the location is off.  Just throwing fast isn't enough these days.  You need control too.  He had no real control tonight.  He had no focus either.  He never checked Mookie on that double steal.  He just really looked kind of out of it.

I didn't realize he was all over the place.  If he can't locate secondary stuff, MLB hitters can just sit on his 100mph fastball and tattoo it.  

6 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

The above is regards Chapman.  99 mph is getting a lot more common than you would think.

Interesting. The speed difference between a pitcher's fastball and change-up has always been a popular indicator. Iirc, anything less than 10 mph and you might find yourself in trouble. But that's neither here nor there. I wonder if the same relation can be drawn between reliever fastball mph and leaguewide reliever fastball mph.

Indeed, Chapman's fastball mph is down this year while leaguewide reliever fastball mph, surprise surprise, is up.

Btw that Chapman inning was hilarious: three weak -- legitimately weak -- groundballs, an IBB, and a walk.

You might question the decision to walk the bases loaded perhaps. Hanley is no slouch and the walk creates a force at every base. But it leaves Chapman, who is a high strikeout and walk guy anyway, with little margin for error with the hehe bases loaded.

1 hour ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Btw that Chapman inning was hilarious: three weak -- legitimately weak -- groundballs, an IBB, and a walk.

You might question the decision to walk the bases loaded perhaps. Hanley is no slouch and the walk creates a force at every base. But it leaves Chapman, who is a high strikeout and walk guy anyway, with little margin for error with the hehe bases loaded.

Yeah, Chapman was pretty unlucky. The first hit would have been a routine grounder to 3B if the third baseman wasn't on the line protecting the double. The next hit was an above average difficult play to SS who, instead of going to first for the out, made an off-balance throw to 2B that drew the 2B off the bag. Next is a routine grounder to 2B that he just booted. Intentional walk. Walk. Game over.

Chapman did look all over the place with his control but he also got pretty unlucky. I'm a Sox fan too, so not being an apologist.

2 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

you are so right

that was an ugly game to lose --- signed a New York Yankee fan

All the Betances guys clamoring for a Chapman injury, Betances has been just as bad recently

7 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

All the Betances guys clamoring for a Chapman injury, Betances has been just as bad recently

betances was lights out during the 5 week stretch as closer when chaps was on the DL...

maybe the role is what keeps him focused...lol

Edited by ASHLANDARROWS1992

Their best reliever by a mile has been chad green and has no shot to close

Edited by kidtwentytwo

Albers overall numbers are solid but man, any time he's called on in the 9th he's shaky. Obviously they're likely to acquire someone, but anyone else still holding on right now? If there's a save opp, it's likely him as of now, right?

Claudio, bush, kela - who is getting the next save opportunity for Texas?

11 minutes ago, Pernil said:

I believe it's Kela once he gets activated.    I'd ignore the Claudio save last night

3 minutes ago, motown magic said:

Bush 

he's pitched well last four times out 

I disagree with this. 

Based on last night's game, it looks like a closer by committee situation until Kela comes back with Claudio/Leclerc available in the 9th based on matchup. 

In my opinion, Bush looks more comfortable in a set-up role. This is a guy who has shown mental instability throughout his career, it does not seem smart to switch his role every few weeks. Just leave him in a set up role where he's shown consistency since last season and see if Kela can handle the closer job the rest of the season. 

39 minutes ago, Pernil said:

pick a name out of a hat....that is as good as anyone giving you an answer on here because it is a total crapshoot at the moment....bottom line

42 minutes ago, dsd10988 said:

I disagree with this. 

Based on last night's game, it looks like a closer by committee situation until Kela comes back with Claudio/Leclerc available in the 9th based on matchup. 

In my opinion, Bush looks more comfortable in a set-up role. This is a guy who has shown mental instability throughout his career, it does not seem smart to switch his role every few weeks. Just leave him in a set up role where he's shown consistency since last season and see if Kela can handle the closer job the rest of the season. 

Kela is a mental knucklehead too, the guy was left in AAA at the beginning of the season for being unprofessional.  Kela deserves a shot at the closer job when he's healthy though.

I imagine Doolittle would close over Madson.

1 hour ago, SpecialFNK said:

I imagine Doolittle would close over Madson.

I'd be most intrigued with Doolittle if he got the closer gig but either would have value in most leagues if they got the 9th. You never know with Dusty so I'm going to try to roster both.

Edited by meh2

21 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Wouldn't they want to use Doolittle in lefty situations?

His numbers vs lefties this year: 24 batters faced. 0 hits. 0 runs. 0 walks. 12k's. I tend to agree with you. I'd lean slightly more toward Madson closing.