Beakman

July Closer Thread 2017

I think Rosie takes the job and runs with it in St.Louis.  At this point, he's easily their best option to close.  Oh looks awful and Cecil is not a closer.  I'd feel very confident if I owned Rosie.  

1 hour ago, SpecialFNK said:

I imagine it's been covered, but Boston is scouting David Robertson of the White Sox (along with Frazier). I have to think Kimbrel keeps closing, but that would be a loss for saves from Robertson owners.

That would be an interesting grab, the rest of the AL East and especially the Yankees probably have a pretty good idea of how to hit him. Of course, he's probably the best bullpen arm on the market so I'm probably overthinking it.

1 hour ago, SpecialFNK said:

I imagine it's been covered, but Boston is scouting David Robertson of the White Sox (along with Frazier). I have to think Kimbrel keeps closing, but that would be a loss for saves from Robertson owners.

@JonHeyman
Following
More

yankees & red sox scouts in Chi to watch frazier & robertson. boston more at @FlavaFraz21 yanks more at @DRob30

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu said:

This bullpen is still pretty clearly a matchups play.  The two saves he's gotten over the past couple of days have both been against lefty-heavy parts of the opposing order.  I think those that are anointing Claudio as "the guy" aren't paying full attention to the specific scenarios.

Agreed, definitely playing matchups.  However Grilli came in to pitch the 9th of a tie game today and blew it (2H, 1BB, 1 ER), and Grilli was disgustingly horrible in Toronto earlier this year, so I'm not sure Bannister knows what he's doing.  Bush got last out in the 7th BTW.  

I'm assuming with Kela coming back very soon that he will take over, but I'm shocked he would use his best relievers in the 7th and 8th (matchups or not) and then go to Grilled Cheese in the 9th.  

I don't think the Red Sox are after Robertson but who knows.  Maybe Dealin' Dave wants to send Devers over to join Moncado and Kopech.  Why not completely empty the pantry.

No, they are scouting Frazier, alas.  But they do probably need another reliever now that Joe Kelly went on the DL.  But not Roberston.  But they do want to add a set-up or 7th inning guy.

Just now, The Big Bat Theory said:

I don't think the Red Sox are after Robertson but who knows.  Maybe Dealin' Dave wants to send Devers over to join Moncado and Kopech.  Why not completely empty the pantry.

No, they are scouting Frazier, alas.  But they do probably need another reliever now that Joe Kelly went on the DL.  But not Roberston.  But they do want to add a set-up or 7th inning guy.

Dave doesn't care.   He just wants to gut your farm system. ;)

4 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

There is no way Devers is being dealt for a Todd Frazier rental and Robertson..

2 minutes ago, soxfan94 said:

Chavis...Dalbec...

Just now, 96mnc said:

Chavis...Dalbec...

That's more realistic. I think Sox do end up making a move for Frazier as they've shown they really don't want to rush Devers (despite his dominant minor league season) and Frazier will be cheaper than most of the other rumored options (Lowrie, Solarte, Harrison, etc). It'd be nice if they could acquire Robertson also, but It'll definitely depend on the price. Sox farm system isn't the best right now after the Sale and Pomeranz trades.

1 hour ago, soxfan94 said:

Hello.  My post was sarcasm.  Though I fear Chavis may be on the table at some point.

The rest of the A's bullpen is complete and utter dog****. I can't find a single guy other than Casilla that looks worthy of being on a major league roster, no less a fantasy roster.

Interesting bit on the Cardinals' closer situation, in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch:

Zach Duke’s imminent return from elbow surgery offers one internal option, and another surfaced along the Allegheny River this weekend.

He’s familiar with the ninth, and his number is next to be called, Red 44.

“Has to be,” Matheny said.

Trevor Rosenthal appeared in all three games this weekend and was both efficient and ruthless. He retired all six batters he faced in the first two games, struck out four, and did so on just 24 pitches. That economy made him available Sunday, and though he hit the first batter he faced he then got three quick outs, including a strikeout. Including the final game before the All-Star break, Rosenthal has pitched in five of the Cardinals’ past six games, and he has struck out 10 of the 16 batters he’s faced. He has not allowed a hit in six innings.

Rosenthal traces this recent success back to Luke Weaver’s promotion from the minors. The two paired up to play catch before games, loosen up their arms, and Rosenthal saw how Weaver eased back on his throws. Since, Rosenthal has done the same and found a feel for changing the velocity of his fastball and relying on a mix of pitches.

On Friday, Rosenthal threw more offspeed pitches (six) than fastballs (five), and on Saturday and Sunday he favored his fastball, but shifted it between 94.7 mph and 99.3 mph.

“Leading up to the break I kind of was going through a funk trying to figure things out,” Rosenthal said. “The results were good. Throwing hard. My fastball was there. Everything just didn’t feel great. Past few days have felt more like the previous years. I’m on top of it. I’m just more conscious of trying to approach the hitters in more ways, not just trying to blow by them on every pitch.”

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/ninth-inning-hurts-cardinals-again/article_76db4f35-4295-5ab3-91aa-144019ec4705.html

Just picked up Rivero after he was dropped for some reason.

Score today was 4-3 any reason why he didn't pitch to save? Sorry new to baseball so this might be obvious to most.

17 minutes ago, Kamura said:

Just picked up Rivero after he was dropped for some reason.

Score today was 4-3 any reason why he didn't pitch to save? Sorry new to baseball so this might be obvious to most.

Pirates won it on a walk-off hit,  bottom of ninth, blown save for the Cardinals, so no save opportunity for the Pirates.

11 hours ago, soxfan94 said:

Hold my beer.

dave-dombrowski.jpg

So is Cody Allen droppable now? Hasn't gotten a save in a while I thought it was going to be a committee but looks like Miller has the job now

15 minutes ago, jeffr913 said:

So is Cody Allen droppable now? Hasn't gotten a save in a while I thought it was going to be a committee but looks like Miller has the job now

no way will I drop Cody Allen.....

Is Kela going to regain the job when he comes back this week? Also what are the chances Vizcaino becomes closer? Seems like the Braves won't trade JJ if they're still hovering around .500 come July 31

Nationals knew they had to get a closer. does that mean they were targeting Madson to be the closer, or also knowing they needed bullpen help overall was this targeting bullpen and at the same time found out Doolittle was also available and thought hey we can get out closer too.

:huh:

I see this..

are the Yankees really trying to get Robertson, or are they trying to raise the asking price for the Red Sox or trying to keep him away from the Red Sox.

Edited by SpecialFNK

Doolittle has only gone back to back days this season like twice.  One would think all signs point to Madson for now.