Beakman

July Closer Thread 2017

26 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Doolittle has only gone back to back days this season like twice.  One would think all signs point to Madson for now.

5 times.

If Dave trades Devers I'll drive into Boston and punch him repeatedly in the grapes.

A note on Jim Johnson:

People seem to be waiting for him to lose his job, either to trade or performance. If I'm not mistaken, he leads the league in blown saves this season. But a few things-

I don't think ATL sells. They just got Freeman back and are in the thick of the WC race. Sounds possible that they may acquire pieces, not trade off. 

Regarding his performance, a deeper dive suggests he may be pitching the best HE EVER HAS (Yeah, I was surprised too).

His career K/9 is 6.84. He's spent much of his career as a ground ball pitcher. This year his K/9 sits at 11.16. And his BB rate remains essentially unchanged (2.92 career  BB/9, 2.90 this season). 

While his ERA currently sits above 4, his FIP (2.35) and xFIP (3.03) are lower than his few dominant seasons when his ERA was in the 2s. His GB% is a little lower than his career, and his LOB% is lower than his career, but one of the largest reasons for his inflated ERA may just be bad luck. 

Considering the performance, "risk of losing job," and trade concerns, this is a closer I'd be looking to deal for in fantasy. Can probably get him fairly cheap. 

Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said on Fantasy Sports Radio on SiriusXM on Monday morning that Ryan Madson was the team's initial target with the Athletics before the deal was expanded to include Sean Doolittle.

The Nationals haven't decided who will close following the trade, but it's something for fantasy owners to think about as they weigh who to pick up in the back-end of this bullpen. Madson is right-handed while Doolittle is left-handed, so he could have the edge even if the Nats play the matchups.

1 hour ago, SpecialFNK said:

are the Yankees really trying to get Robertson, or are they trying to raise the asking price for the Red Sox or trying to keep him away from the Red Sox.

I think there are some legs to the rumor the Yanks want Robertson.  With the shakiness of Chapman and Betances recently, they probably figure it couldn't hurt to have another experienced closer in the fold, just in case.  The fact he has succeeded in NYC is a bonus, like Warren was last year.  I think it's more likely the Red Sox are already talking to the White Sox about Frazier and figure it can't hurt to run up the price on Robertson for the Yanks while they're there.

1 hour ago, Smushmachine said:

5 times.

Heard it was less than that.  Good looking out.  

I still think it's Madson though.  

24 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

A note on Jim Johnson:

People seem to be waiting for him to lose his job, either to trade or performance. If I'm not mistaken, he leads the league in blown saves this season. But a few things-

I don't think ATL sells. They just got Freeman back and are in the thick of the WC race. Sounds possible that they may acquire pieces, not trade off. 

Regarding his performance, a deeper dive suggests he may be pitching the best HE EVER HAS (Yeah, I was surprised too).

His career K/9 is 6.84. He's spent much of his career as a ground ball pitcher. This year his K/9 sits at 11.16. And his BB rate remains essentially unchanged (2.92 career  BB/9, 2.90 this season). 

While his ERA currently sits above 4, his FIP (2.35) and xFIP (3.03) are lower than his few dominant seasons when his ERA was in the 2s. His GB% is a little lower than his career, and his LOB% is lower than his career, but one of the largest reasons for his inflated ERA may just be bad luck. 

Considering the performance, "risk of losing job," and trade concerns, this is a closer I'd be looking to deal for in fantasy. Can probably get him fairly cheap. 

They basically gave him away two years ago in one of the worst trades the Braves have made in a long time. I'm not sure what they could get for him now.  It's not like Vizcaino or Minter (who could be Kimbrel 2.0 coming up) is a model of health either.  One reason they brought in all these old guys to pitch is to take some mileage off their young arms.   Contending or not, keeping him around outweighs the crappy prospect they'd get for him.  Especially if the going rate is what Washington gave up yesterday.  

13 minutes ago, radioflyer9 said:

Rosenthal is officially the new closer for the Cardinals now! Just scooped him up. 

source?

12 minutes ago, radioflyer9 said:

Rosenthal is officially the new closer for the Cardinals now! Just scooped him up. 

Where did you see that? On this site it says next in line but not that he is the official closer now.

1 minute ago, pierceNKC said:

source?

Rotoworld reported that Matheny said Rosenthal is next in line for the closer role. 

1 minute ago, scoh123 said:

Where did you see that? On this site it says next in line but not that he is the official closer now.

I think it's just poorly worded by Rotoworld. Oh wasn't used in the 9th in what was a clear save situation. Next in line for the next close basically means he's the closer (I think). 

1 minute ago, Random Dude said:

Rotoworld reported that Matheny said Rosenthal is next in line for the closer role. 

"next in line"...after Oh.

rumors of the rays in talks to acquire wilson from detroit. if he's going to be traded, this is an ideal outcome as he'd become their closer with colome being so bad

1 minute ago, Rho said:

rumors of the rays in talks to acquire wilson from detroit. if he's going to be traded, this is an ideal outcome as he'd become their closer with colome being so bad

I think its been discussed before -- but Detroit would be looking at Alex Wilson or Rondon next in line, correct? I'm guessing there isn't much clarity to the situation, though.

Jimenez could loom as the guy to own later this season.

Was surprised it was Cecil with the last chance. He had been pitching well of late, but so has Trevor. Wonder if Cecil gets another opportunity. Next in line could mean after another chance with Cecil or when the next save opp come up. It looks like another Wash situation.

Edited by scoh123

16 minutes ago, Rho said:

i wouldn't be so sure of that with boxberger still in the mix.

41 minutes ago, Random Dude said:

38 minutes ago, pierceNKC said:

"next in line"...after Oh.

In my opinion, the fact that Oh did not close yesterday shows that he has been moved to the back of the line. He pitched on the 14th but did not pitch on the 15th. I don't see any reason he should have been unavailable to close the game yesterday. 

My money would be on Rosenthal to get the next save opp. 

44 minutes ago, Rho said:

Colome had a bad stretch but hasn't been awful. In no way do I believe Wilson becomes the closer if he goes there. He's a lefty set up guy almost anywhere he goes. He's not getting traded to close. 

40 minutes ago, jamesisharden said:

I think its been discussed before -- but Detroit would be looking at Alex Wilson or Rondon next in line, correct? I'm guessing there isn't much clarity to the situation, though.

Jimenez could loom as the guy to own later this season.

I'd put Shane Greene ahead of AWilson based on recent usage. But absolutely zero clarity, so take that for what it's worth.

Edited by Backdoor Slider

IF rosie gets the the gig starting with the next opportunity, i will set the over/under of appearances before he loses the "gig" at (3.5)...who wants action?..lol

over 3.5 = (+120)

under 3.5 = (-130)

4 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Better be Greene over Wilson and Rondon. He's their best option.

4 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Better be Greene over Wilson and Rondon. He's their best option.

Better be ? lol

1 hour ago, pierceNKC said:

i wouldn't be so sure of that with boxberger still in the mix.

This. 

Plus,  I think Wilson slides in with Box as set up guys for Colome helping to make it a 6 inning game.  

7th - Box or Justin 

8th - Box or Justin

9th - Colome

3 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

This. 

Plus,  I think Wilson slides in with Box as set up guys for Colome helping to make it a 6 inning game.  

7th - Box or Justin 

8th - Box or Justin

9th - Colome

EXACTLY this......

and if colome continues to struggle, there are 2 more than capable guys waiting to take over his gig...maybe that will keep him focused..lol

29 minutes ago, Topgun said:

Better be ? lol

Well Rondon is bad. Alex Wilson isn't that great. I'm saying it better be Greene or this looks to be a grim situation like the Nats