Beakman

July Closer Thread 2017

Shane Greene sported a 7.50 era in June, but has calmed down since.  His bb/k ratio leaves a little to be desired.  

There isn't a ton of places right now where a contender would trade for a current closer (Wilson, Robertson, AJ Ramos etc) and that current closer would close outside of Washington.  

i look at shane greene's numbers from last year....wow.....sooo sooo bad but wasnt he a starter?

Edited by David Aames

1. No the Red Sox aren't trying to trade for Dave Robertson.  There might be a couple of other arms in the White Sox bullpen they would kick the tires on but they are there scouting Todd Frazier, not David Robertson.

2. No Alex Colome wouldn't lose his job to Justin Wilson if a trade occurred.  Wilson would become their lefty set-up guy.

3. No Rosenthal won't end up the StL closer.  Not long term anyway.  He always finds a way to mess himself up.  (He must also lead these closer threads in predictions at his promotion each and every single month this season.  We are up to the boy who cried wolf status on him at this point).  Whatever he has recently "fixed" in his delivery will go all wonky within weeks.  It always does.  At which point Oh will be suddenly pitching well again and they flip flop again.  Second option, Cecil sneaks in and implodes like he did in Toronto.  Sane option, Cards go get Dave Robertson.

6 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Well Rondon is bad. Alex Wilson isn't that great. I'm saying it better be Greene or this looks to be a grim situation like the Nats

Gamelog shows that outside of 7/8 vs Cleveland Rondon has been lights out since his callup.  I admittedly haven't been watching though. 

42 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Well Rondon is bad. Alex Wilson isn't that great. I'm saying it better be Greene or this looks to be a grim situation like the Nats

Bruce Rondon has been pitching the 8th inning lately (go look)  ... so I have to assume he might be in-line to close "if" Justin Wilson gets traded

so who (if anyone) is trusting rosey at this point?  does he get the next save op or does Oh?

Wilson to St. Louis could happen.  TB seems more likely though due to their deep farm system.

I am not sure how much the Detroit closer even matters.  Detroit is a sneaky terrible baseball team.

Doolittle and Madson, Nats had 5 different scouts scout those two guys. Sounds like the Nats wanted a majority opinion on those two and got it...

2 hours ago, Rho said:

rumors of the rays in talks to acquire wilson from detroit. if he's going to be traded, this is an ideal outcome as he'd become their closer with colome being so bad

Wilson will not become the Rays' closer if he is dealt there. Colome will remain the closer. The only way Wilson would get saves, imo, is if Colome and Box both either get hurt or both suck to high heavens. 

Justin Wilson has been a lot better than Colome has.

1 minute ago, SpecialFNK said:

Maybe so, but Colome is, and will be the closer unless he is traded, don't see that happening at this point. Not a Colome owner.

3 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

irrelevant when it comes to who is going to be closing in tampa IF justin gets dealt there....

we'll see what happens if Wilson goes to Tampa Bay.

I certainly wouldn't be dropping Wilson expecting that he wont be closing anymore.

if Colome continues to pitch how he has been TB wont have to think twice about removing him from the role. even since that terrible 5 game stretch Colome has still given up hits and walks. Wilson has simply been the better pitcher.

47 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Bruce Rondon has been pitching the 8th inning lately (go look)  ... so I have to assume he might be in-line to close "if" Justin Wilson gets traded

I did. He got lit up last Saturday for 3 runs in 2/3 of an inning and while it was the 8th inning, they were losing 1-0 when he came in. 

The next day the Tigers were up, Greene pitch 1.1, the 7th into the 8th, then passed it on to JWilson for the save. He was the trusted set up guy. So not really sure what you're looking at. 

So closermonkey is saying "Nationals announce Madson as their closer." Yet the link included shows sends us to Rizzo saying it won't be a committee. We knew that. But it says that Rizzo told MLB Radio that all signs point to Madson closing. 

Anyone hear this?

10 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

So closermonkey is saying "Nationals announce Madson as their closer." Yet the link included shows sends us to Rizzo saying it won't be a committee. We knew that. But it says that Rizzo told MLB Radio that all signs point to Madson closing. 

Anyone hear this?

I'd be shocked if the Nationals don't go for another reliever to close before the deadline.  Their bullpen has been dreadful, Doolittle and Madson aren't the full solution to their problem.  They will help tremendously, though.  Friend is a die hard Nats fan and he feels the same way.

Just now, DemOrioles said:

I'd be shocked if the Nationals don't go for another reliever to close before the deadline.  Their bullpen has been dreadful, Doolittle and Madson aren't the full solution to their problem.  They will help tremendously, though.  Friend is a die hard Nats fan and he feels the same way.

Possibly, but with Madson & Doolittle in the 8th & 9th, and Albers, Romero, Kelley, etc to be used in other situations, I actually think their bullpen could be quite efficient. 

Just now, Backdoor Slider said:

Possibly, but with Madson & Doolittle in the 8th & 9th, and Albers, Romero, Kelley, etc to be used in other situations, I actually think their bullpen could be quite efficient. 

It definitely could and Madson and Doolittle are great upgrades.  Still think they could benefit from and probably should sign a sure fire closer which would boost it even more.  Romero, Albers, Kelley...they just aren't very good.

5 minutes ago, DemOrioles said:

It definitely could and Madson and Doolittle are great upgrades.  Still think they could benefit from and probably should sign a sure fire closer which would boost it even more.  Romero, Albers, Kelley...they just aren't very good.

Romero & Albers both have pretty solid numbers. Awful 8/9 guys, but perfectly acceptable as 7th inning guys. But we'll see. Wouldn't be shocked if they add another arm (though they may need it to be a SP).

35 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Anyone hear this?

Closermonkey made a correction on this, so disregard. Still up in the air. 

So just so I'm clear, Greene has been pitching the 8th with the lead like a setup guy and Rondon has been pitching the 8th when they are down?

Here is the usage and situations for Rondon and Greene (last five appearances). I'll let you all make your own conclusions. 

Rondon Usage and Situation

7/16 - 8th inning, Losing by one run

7/8 - 8th inning,  Losing by one run

7/6 - 8th inning, Winning by three runs

7/5 - 8th inning, Losing by one run

7/1 - 8th inning, Winning by three runs

Greene Usage and Situation

7/16 - 10th inning, tie game

7/14 - 6th inning, Losing by one run, replaces Verlander after he issued two walks 

7/9 - 8th inning, Winning by two runs

7/8 - 6th inning, Losing by one run, replaces Verlander with two men on base and two outs

7/6 - 7th inning, Winning by three runs

I remembered a post (10 days ago) that @handyandy86 wrote that Rondon has been pitching the 8th inning and he believes he might be next in line. I didn't believe him so I went digging and they dude was spot on .... Rondon has been pitching the 8th inning.

4 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

So just so I'm clear, Greene has been pitching the 8th with the lead like a setup guy and Rondon has been pitching the 8th when they are down?

Not exactly. Greene's usage has been spotty as well. I went back to the previous Sunday's usage, because it was last true save situation. 

@Random Dude did a great job of digging actual usage before I could respond. 

No worries. I was just having some fun. This is Ausmus. It very well COULD be Rondon if Wilson is dealt. Or Greene. Or AWilson. Or Jimenez up. There's no real clear answer.