Beakman

July Closer Thread 2017

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

No worries. I was just having some fun. This is Ausmus. It very well COULD be Rondon if Wilson is dealt. Or Greene. Or AWilson. Or Jimenez up. There's no real clear answer. 

correct --- how about the Cards/Rangers bullpen? or when Norris was injured.

43 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Possibly, but with Madson & Doolittle in the 8th & 9th, and Albers, Romero, Kelley, etc to be used in other situations, I actually think their bullpen could be quite efficient. 

That pen isn't adequate if they have designs on a World Series run. They have a guy for the 7th and 8th, now. They need a high-end closer and then they'll be fine.

this Doolittle vs Madson debate could e mute if the Nationals acquired a true closer.

Even after acquiring Sean Doolittle and Ryan Madson from the A’s yesterday, the Nationals remain interested in bolstering their bullpen, FanRag’s Jon Heyman tweets. Tigers lefty Justin Wilson is of particular interest to them, per MLB.com’s Jon Morosi (also via Twitter)

The Nats reportedly had “substantive” talks with the Marlins about David Phelps and AJ Ramos before acquiring Madson and Doolittle, though it’s uncertain if they’ll circle back on either of those arms.

watching PTI on ESPN Kornheiser just said that apparently Madson has said he doesn't like pitching the 9th, and his ERA is a full run higher in the 9th (or 8th?).

I have no idea how accurate that is, but if so then that could mean Madson wont be the closer.

this from baseballreference.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=madsory01&year=2017&t=p

7th- 12.1 IP, 1.46 ERA.

8th- 20.1 IP, 2.21 ERA.

9th- 5.0 IP, 0.00 ERA.

be interesting to see if that is what Madson has said

18 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

this Doolittle vs Madson debate could e mute if the Nationals acquired a true closer.

I don't think Wilson's 11 career saves makes him any more of a "true" closer than Madson or Doolittle. Personally, I'd still bet on Madson even if all three were in the mix.

Heard the rizzo interview 

They are all sitting down and they will go with what works best . He would not name a closer . 

Just now, Backdoor Slider said:

is he for sure the closer?  he's chillin on a lot of waivers waiting to be scooped up.

13 minutes ago, herschel said:

Apologies if this was already posted in here.  Don't remember seeing a recent Melancon update.  Doesn't look pretty for those that own him....

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/14/giants-notes-right-hander-mark-melancon-isnt-close-to-returning/amp/

guess sam dyson got the gig for an extended period.

10 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

is he for sure the closer?  he's chillin on a lot of waivers waiting to be scooped up.

no, not for sure.  that being said, he shouldnt be unowned in most leagues....

3 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

we'll see what happens if Wilson goes to Tampa Bay.

I certainly wouldn't be dropping Wilson expecting that he wont be closing anymore.

if Colome continues to pitch how he has been TB wont have to think twice about removing him from the role. even since that terrible 5 game stretch Colome has still given up hits and walks. Wilson has simply been the better pitcher.

In 4.1 inning since that 5-game stretch, he's given up 3 hits and 2 walks, and both walks were in the same game. So don't talk as if he's still getting knocked around. It's one thing to say that Wilson has been the better pitcher (which does not mean he'd be the new Rays' closer), but it's another think to insinuate that Colome has been giving up a lot of hits since that awful stretch. 

Nats can go ahead and acquire AJ ramos.  But he still isn't as good as 2 guys they just acquired.  In fact he sucks also.

11 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

In 4.1 inning since that 5-game stretch, he's given up 3 hits and 2 walks, and both walks were in the same game. So don't talk as if he's still getting knocked around. It's one thing to say that Wilson has been the better pitcher (which does not mean he'd be the new Rays' closer), but it's another think to insinuate that Colome has been giving up a lot of hits since that awful stretch. 

5 base runners in 4.1 IP, while also only having 3 K's.

his last game is the first time he has not given up a hit or a walk since May29.

anytime a closer is giving up base runners that has to be concerning.

while Colome has been doing what he has been doing Justin Wilson has been fantastic. that doesn't mean there would be an automatic switch if Wilson was acquired, but there would be a really good option to go to if Colome was to continue to give up base runners.

Edited by SpecialFNK

16 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Nats can go ahead and acquire AJ ramos.  But he still isn't as good as 2 guys they just acquired.  In fact he sucks also.

everybody has an opinion like everybody has an

11 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

everybody has an opinion like everybody has an

So what's your opinion then?  A guy with 5 walks per 9 is better?

28 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

5 base runners in 4.1 IP, while also only having 3 K's.

his last game is the first time he has not given up a hit or a walk since May29.

anytime a closer is giving up base runners that has to be concerning.

while Colome has been doing what he has been doing Justin Wilson has been fantastic. that doesn't mean there would be an automatic switch if Wilson was acquired, but there would be a really good option to go to if Colome was to continue to give up base runners.

You said he's giving up hits, insinuating that he's still getting knocked around (based on your past posts). He's only given up 3 in 4.1 innings. Not only is that a huge improvement over the 5-game stretch, but it's pretty darn good in and of itself (a pace for 65 ip and 45 hits).

5 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

So what's your opinion then?  A guy with 5 walks per 9 is better?

If I was managing the Nationals I rather have AJ Ramos as my closer than either Madson or Doolittle.

Ramos is a premiere closer who has been almost perfect this year in closing situations... 2 blown saves is freaking good in my book. Add in what he did the last two years AJ gee the Nationals would be doing jumping jacks if they landed AJ 

8 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

If I was managing the Nationals I rather have AJ Ramos as my closer than either Madson or Doolittle.

Ramos is a premiere closer who has been almost perfect this year in closing situations... 2 blown saves is freaking good in my book. Add in what he did the last two years AJ gee the Nationals would be doing jumping jacks if they landed AJ 

Guess I just wouldn't want a guy with a 1.30+ Whip the last 2 years touching the mound in crucial playoff games.  I don't really consider him much different than Madson.  Ramos has horrific control.  He's a ticking time bomb.

Edited by Cmilne23

assuming rosey isnt available tonight?  hes pitched 3 games in a row.....

6 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I did. He got lit up last Saturday for 3 runs in 2/3 of an inning and while it was the 8th inning, they were losing 1-0 when he came in. 

The next day the Tigers were up, Greene pitch 1.1, the 7th into the 8th, then passed it on to JWilson for the save. He was the trusted set up guy. So not really sure what you're looking at. 

As per usage by @Random Dude the day you're talking about Greene setting up Wilson, it was likely only because Rondon was unavailable after pitching in 3 of the last 4 days.  In that said game Greene was also given a quick hook in the 8th after giving up a walk and they made Wilson go for a 5 out save.  

If anything that to me says Ausmus lacks confidence in Greene, and would rather stretch his closer for 5 outs when Rondon is unavailable.  Not saying it's right or smart or whatever, but it definitely seems like Rondon is getting that setup work. 

Nevermind

Edited by jdbob11

Why was Britton not closing tonight one day after Buck said that he thinks he is ready to rock the 9th?  Call me crazy, but is it possible he is moving elsewhere??  Inquiring minds want to know......I WANT TO KNOW!!!  Anyone have knowledge on whether he was actually even warming up in either the 8th or 9th?  This is interesting if he wasnt.