Beakman

July Closer Thread 2017

1 minute ago, jdbob11 said:

So Matheny is an Fn liar and I wasted a move on Rosenthal. 

Siegrist is the CLOSER

because Rosie pitched the last three

Just now, Dr. Whom said:

Siegrist is the CLOSER

because Rosie pitched the last three

Yeah I didnt see that before I made my post.  Matheny stated that Rosenthal is the next in line for the gig so come tomorrow he better be getting the save opps. 

2 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

So Matheny is an Fn liar and I wasted a move on Rosenthal. 

latest?cb=20121205194057

Wow, Cespedes swings on 3-0 and ends the game in a DP

13 minutes ago, Michael Bluth said:

This

I'm so peeved lol. Brach has been in my lineup nonstop for months it seems. Literally the first day I bench him he gets a save! Just have to laugh sometimes. 

2 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I'm so peeved lol. Brach has been in my lineup nonstop for months it seems. Literally the first day I bench him he gets a save! Just have to laugh sometimes. 

Buck Showalter:

On using Brach instead of Britton: “At some point Zach’s going to get more into that mix, obviously. If Brad hadn’t had two days off and hadn’t pitched just once since the break ... Brad needed to get back out there. He was strong, almost too strong. I came into the game hoping this would be a good opportunity to pitch him back-to-back with the long layover from the day game to the night game. He’s done that down below. It’s not like he’s never done it. But Zach is close to doing what he’s done for us in the past.”

(I'll believe it when I see it, Buck).

Rotoworld blurb: "It looks like Cecil is the guy to own right now in the St. Louis bullpen, though he did just blow a save Sunday in Pittsburgh."

Actual comments from Cardinals manager: "Matheny said that had Siegrist not walked Curtis Granderson to start the ninth, he might have left Siegrist in. There was nobody warming up when the Cardinals batted in the ninth and Matheny said, “I just don’t know how to take him out after he struck out three guys on 10 pitches.”

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cards-get-six-in-sixth-to-beat-mets/article_d109b549-7090-5975-81df-b0337902c853.html

Also, Rosenthal had pitched three straight days.

In other words, ignore the knee-jerk Rotoworld blurb.

20 minutes ago, slaphitter said:

Rotoworld A-Team must be on vacation

Rotoworld has an A-Team?  Who knew. 

OT:  In other news if the Rotoworld writer uses the words "slash" or "slashing" or "slashed" in one more post about hitters i am going to reach through my computer and throttle them all.  Someone send them a new word a day type of calendar because their vocabulary has become seriously stunted.  (Hint: It is okay to even use the words hit and hitting on occasion at the very least).

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Rotoworld has an A-Team?  Who knew. 

OT:  In other news if the Rotoworld writer uses the words "slash" or "slashing" or "slashed" in one more post about hitters i am going to reach through my computer and throttle them all.  Someone send them a new word a day type of calendar because their vocabulary has become seriously stunted.  (Hint: It is okay to even use the words hit and hitting on occasion at the very least).

I like how when a guy goes from the suck to having 1 decent game he has "broken out".

That used to be an actual term with meaning.

So with all this yapping about Rotoworld, do yall still get your breaking news from them?

Twitter is an amazing resource, follow the local beat writers.

I am now just using rotoworld for news and not advice. I think Rosie is the closer and he has pitched the last 4 games

I'm pretty convinced Rosenthal is the closer in STl, and unlike some on this thread I think he easily runs with the gig.

everyone still betting on rosenthal? cecil gettin some love on yahoo adds...

11 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Why did I bench Brach? Where's Britton?

9 hours ago, Michael Bluth said:

This

You two benched Brach? Do you guys have just designated spots SP/RP?  Most of my leagues just use the P spot. If the leagues have the designated spots I will in most times never have a RP sitting on the bench.It seems to me you guys are wasting a valuable stream spot.  I will roster and extra hitter "or a" starting pitcher 

6 minutes ago, pierceNKC said:

I still think it's Rosie. And I wouldn't put too much emphasis on transaction trends for majors site like yahoo, espn, cbs, etc....While I too look at them I think of all the joke leagues out there where anybody who picks up a save is dubbed the new closer and people jump like hyenas. 

22 minutes ago, pierceNKC said:

Are people just forgetting or ignoring that Rosie pitched the previous 3 days?  Cecil is not the closer.  Rosenthal was on rest.

22 minutes ago, pierceNKC said:

I watched the 9th inning and Cecil didn't look sharp.  The first batter he faced was Conforto who hit a laser right at the right fielder.  A. Cabrera then lined a single.  He was down 3-0 to Cespedes when he inexplicably swung at a pitch out of the strike zone and grounded into a DP.  Matheny had Oh start warming up after Cabrera hit the single.  If anything Cecil dug his hole deeper.

13 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

You said he's giving up hits, insinuating that he's still getting knocked around (based on your past posts). He's only given up 3 in 4.1 innings. Not only is that a huge improvement over the 5-game stretch, but it's pretty darn good in and of itself (a pace for 65 ip and 45 hits).

he has been "giving up hits".

he gave up another hit last night (double) that came around to score on a wild pitch.

it's not just hits, it's base runners that are concerning for a closer.

he has been fortunate that when he has been giving up base runner/runs that he has still been getting saves.

I also see this from rotoprofessor, which I agree with.