Beakman

July Closer Thread 2017

7 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Madson hates closing

Time for him to sack up

is Swarzak starting to pitch more like himself? he was lights out most of the first half. His era was 5.5 last year. Clippard is no better 

Swarzak "should" be the next in line, but the way he was used last night wasn't a good sign.  Unless they name someone, it's going to be difficult to sort this one out until we see a few games.  Zack Burdi is a good dynasty stash here.

13 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Zack Burdi is a good dynasty stash here.

"White Sox pitching prospect Zack Burdi is likely to undergo Tommy John surgery" 

I like Burdi but do you think he'll be good to go next season?  Obviously plenty of time to heal but not sure of the extent of injury

23 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Swarzak "should" be the next in line, but the way he was used last night wasn't a good sign.  Unless they name someone, it's going to 

I agree here. I have a funny feeling they are going to go to the Clip Show. He was terrible for the Yanks recently, but does have the experience and I can see the sox trading Swarzak as well as some others have stated already. Why keep him if he has his highest value he is ever going to have.

14 minutes ago, Palmetto08 said:

"White Sox pitching prospect Zack Burdi is likely to undergo Tommy John surgery" 

I like Burdi but do you think he'll be good to go next season?  Obviously plenty of time to heal but not sure of the extent of injury

Scratch that then.  I thought Nick was the Burdi with TJS.  Apparently it's both of them

1 hour ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

dear god you are dazed and confused to say the least...lololol

i corrected my statement earlier in the thread. 

try to keep up, guy.

Chicago - I'll be floored if Hahn doesn't sell off Swarzak for a B- or C-level prospect.  He's in the final year of his deal and will be a UFA next year.  He's primarily pitched the 7th.  Clippard meanwhile has the closer contract and prior experience.  My guess would be Clippard gets the gig, at least for the rest of this season.

Detroit - interesting situation given the push to trade Wilson.  But as others have posted, good luck reading the next in line ... Greene, Rondon, Alex Wilson, Jimenez?  Who knows?

Atlanta - Vizcaino is due back any day now (or may head out on a short rehab).  Atlanta has lost 2 in a row.  They're now 8 GB of Colorado in the WC.  They've already let it be known last week that they would listen to offers on Teheran.  They play one more against CHC, then head out for a 7 game west coast swing through LA and Arizona.  After 4 games in Philly, they get those same Dodgers back at home.  If Atlanta got really hot over the next week and managed to gain ground against those two NL West teams, then maybe they hold steady.  As it is, I expect Johnson gets sold.  As pointed out earlier in the thread, he's pitching the best ball of his life, and most MLB teams aren't stupid.  Neither is Atlanta.  Sure they just got back Freeman, but can RA Dickey, Jaime Garcia, and Teheran really lead a staff to the playoffs?  Come on ...

14 hours ago, miasma16 said:

For all of your whining during that stretch about how otherworldly bad he was, I figured you'd agree with me. He was terrible during that SSS, a 1.13 WHIP is not "too many baserunners" no matter how you try to rationalize it.

This is a ridiculous post. 28 guys have 10+ saves this year. 7 have a sub-1.00 WHIP.

Are you suggesting that there are only 7 quality closers in the majors? Your posts about Colome were nonsensical a few weeks ago and they're even worse now. Bow out.

why are you only using sub 1.00 WHIP? picking numbers out of thin air.

1.13 isn't "bad" but it's certainly not "good".  Colome is at 1.28 WHIP on the season.

putting runners on base is not good for a closer.

it's their job to close out the game. any runner on base makes that more difficult, especially for the closers that are not getting K's.

I don't know why this would be debated.

I will say last night's clean inning with 2 K's is a big step in the right direction.

Don't you play fantasy baseball? You don't know what WHIP is? 

1 minute ago, miasma16 said:

I whipped my girlfriend and got arrested.  We made up and I whipped some cream....

32 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

of course I know what WHIP is, what is the issue?

ideally a closer should not be putting runners on base either from a Walk or a Hit.

on the season Colome has given up 56 walks+hits in 43.2 IP. that is not good.

in the situations when closers do put runners on base, it is a plus if they can get K's so that the batters are not making contact.

last year Colome had 11.28 K/9. this year he is down to 8.04 K/9.

last year he had 2.38 BB/9. this year he is up to 3.71 BB/9.

walks are up, K's are down. that's not good.

he has shown the ability to be better than he has been, but so far he has not been as good. he could go on a stretch now where he put's up numerous innings like he did last night (1IP/ 0H/ 0BB/ 0R/ 2K) but he could also go the other way too.

6 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

of course I know what WHIP is, 

Alright then. 

YOU SAID that allowing over a baserunner per inning is allowing too many baserunners. 

That is why I used a 1.00 WHIP, which is allowing a baserunner (ignoring hit batsmen et al, so I am even using a statistic that unfairly favors your argument) per inning. 

75% of closers (more, actually, but that's irrelevant) have a WHIP over 1.

Are you stating that 75% of closers are doing their job inadequately? Yes or no? I couldn't care less about the rest of your rambling post, let's take it one thing at a time. 

Edited by miasma16

I think Allen probably is a good buy low. They just haven't had a lot of save opps since they gave Miller a break from fireman, which I think he's back at now.

All my David Robertson owners, what are you doing with him?  IMO it's a long shot for him to get saves any time soon in NY, except for an opp here and there when Chap has gone a couple of days in a row, if that.

3 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

All my David Robertson owners, what are you doing with him?  IMO it's a long shot for him to get saves any time soon in NY, except for an opp here and there when Chap has gone a couple of days in a row, if that.

I'm cutting him. Only hope for saves is if Chapman's "struggles" are due to injury. Not sure I can wait it out.

Saw this little blurb.  The A's obviously see something they can fix in Treinen

New A's reliever Blake Treinen will take on a middle relief role for now, but manager Bob Melvin believes he has closer potential down the road. Treinen, 29, was acquired from the Nationals along with Jesus Luzardo and Sheldon Neuse in exchange for relievers Ryan Madson and Sean Doolittle. Both Doolittle and Madson held down late inning roles for the A's, so Treinen has a great shot of pitching his way into a seventh or eighth inning role. He has had a rough year overall, with a 5.73 ERA and a 1.62 WHIP. However, his 3.75 FIP and 2.28 ERA from a year ago indicate Treinen may be able to turn things around. Those in holds leagues can consider adding Treinen, but he is unlikely to get any save opportunities unless the A's trade veteran closer Santiago Casilla.

Who sets up for NYY?  Betances or Robertson?

2 minutes ago, B&F said:

I'd be pretty surprised if Robertson gets the 8th. Nevertheless, it's important to remember that it wouldn't be the first time the Yankees were giving Robertson higher-leverage innings than Betances.

7 minutes ago, B&F said:

Not that it's gospel, but CloserMonkey has Robertson playing set-up in the 8th.