Beakman

July Closer Thread 2017

4 hours ago, miasma16 said:

Alright then. 

YOU SAID that allowing over a baserunner per inning is allowing too many baserunners. 

That is why I used a 1.00 WHIP, which is allowing a baserunner (ignoring hit batsmen et al, so I am even using a statistic that unfairly favors your argument) per inning. 

75% of closers (more, actually, but that's irrelevant) have a WHIP over 1.

Are you stating that 75% of closers are doing their job inadequately? Yes or no? I couldn't care less about the rest of your rambling post, let's take it one thing at a time. 

over an extended time period, then 1+ more base runners than IP should not be considered "too many" base runners.

but it's more than just WHIP alone. I think it's also how often a closer is putting runners on base. when it happens consistently then I think it should be considered too many base runners.

I know it's not fair of me to use a smaller sample size, however over Colome's last 22 appearances (going back to May22), he has had only 5 games where he did not give up a hit or a walk. to me that is allowing too many base runners. Colome in June had 2.00 WHIP. in July so far he has 1.58 WHIP.

I'm not the only one picking on Colome, even a fantasy baseball person thinks so..

the entire reason Colome was even brought up again is because it was questioned what would happen if Justin Wilson was traded to TB, where some were saying no chance Colome would lose the job. if Wilson was traded to TB and if Colome continued how he has in June and July, then it shouldn't be a stretch that Wilson could get a shot to close.

that is why I was talking about Colome, but I can drop it since Wilson to TB might not even happen.

Buck says let's pray Britton gets a clean save so we can trade his a**

That Rotoprofessor guy is extremely reactionary.  He said the same thing about Casilla last night and usually if you give up runs in consecutive appearances you are "monitored".  

Welcome back Vizcaino...hopefully just knocking some rust off in a non save opportunity.

.2 IP, 3 hits 1 run - 5 batters faced

Any thoughts going forward with him?

Edited by Palmetto08

35 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

over an extended time period

Sigh. No.

22 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

any closer that is giving up more base runners than IP is risky.

5 hours ago, miasma16 said:

Alright then. 

YOU SAID that allowing over a baserunner per inning is allowing too many baserunners. 

That is why I used a 1.00 WHIP, which is allowing a baserunner (ignoring hit batsmen et al, so I am even using a statistic that unfairly favors your argument) per inning. 

75% of closers (more, actually, but that's irrelevant) have a WHIP over 1.

Are you stating that 75% of closers are doing their job inadequately? Yes or no? I couldn't care less about the rest of your rambling post, let's take it one thing at a time. 

So? Yes or no?

38 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

over an extended time period, then 1+ more base runners than IP should not be considered "too many" base runners.

but it's more than just WHIP alone. I think it's also how often a closer is putting runners on base. when it happens consistently then I think it should be considered too many base runners.

I know it's not fair of me to use a smaller sample size, however over Colome's last 22 appearances (going back to May22), he has had only 5 games where he did not give up a hit or a walk. to me that is allowing too many base runners. 

Greg Holland, 3rd best closer per the Player Rater behind Kenley and Kimbrel, has only 6 games in his past 22 appearances (1 inning or more) where he has not given up either a hit or a walk. 

I'm really not sure where you're going with this. Most closers have a WHIP close to one, and most give up either a walk or a hit more often than they don't. This really isn't anything that's up for debate. 

2 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Greg Holland, 3rd best closer per the Player Rater behind Kenley and Kimbrel, has only 6 games in his past 22 appearances (1 inning or more) where he has not given up either a hit or a walk. 

I'm really not sure where you're going with this. Most closers have a WHIP close to one, and most give up either a walk or a hit more often than they don't. This really isn't anything that's up for debate. 

A WHIP of 1.00 is great and anybody that's played fantasy baseball for more than a week knows it, and that includes for closers. He's attempting to manipulate statistics to support his crusade against Colome. The funny thing is he doesn't even need to. Colome hasn't had particularly good numbers (outside of the saves) so it doesn't even make sense that FNK is making half of the arguments he is. But he simply seems convinced that Colome's status as a closer is on shaky ground when it isn't, and is trying to make his point by exaggerating beyond the bounds of the reality of the statistics he keeps using.

10 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Where he's going with it is that he seems to enjoy arguing in circles. It's why I've learned that when I get in a disagreement with him, I state my point a couple of times and then get out. Otherwise, it can become unending because he circles back around to the same arguments over and over and over. 

6 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

A WHIP of 1.00 is great and anybody that's played fantasy baseball for more than a week knows it, and that includes for closers. He's attempting to manipulate statistics to support his crusade against Colome. The funny thing is he doesn't even need to. Colome hasn't had particularly good numbers (outside of the saves) so it doesn't even make sense that FNK is making half of the arguments he is. But he simply seems convinced that Colome's status as a closer is on shaky ground when it isn't, and is trying to make his point by exaggerating beyond the bounds of the reality of the statistics he keeps using.

Outside of that 5-game meltdown, he's actually had good numbers...even though his k/9 is down this year. Of course, the 5-game meltdown counts just like the rest of the games, but it does seem to mark an anomaly in his season. 

51 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Holland in June had a 1.31 WHIP. in July he has 1.25 WHIP. those numbers aren't really good.

another important factor that I mentioned is K's. Holland has gotten more K's, meaning that is less batters making contact/putting the ball in play. the more K's a closer can have the more he can get away with putting more runners on base.

46 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

why do you continue to want to use the "1.00" WHIP in comparison to Colome? if Colome had a WHIP of 1.00 you would have a point, but Colome does not have that.

41 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Outside of that 5-game meltdown, he's actually had good numbers...even though his k/9 is down this year. Of course, the 5-game meltdown counts just like the rest of the games, but it does seem to mark an anomaly in his season. 

it's more than just a bad 5 game stretch. it was the entire month of June. every single appearance in June (9 appearances, 10 IP) he gave up at least 1 hit, as well as he had a stretch of 14 straight appearances giving up a hit. not once in June did he have a clean inning.

can anyone find another closer that went an entire completed month where they did not have even 1 clean inning?

to reiterate, I'm not suggesting Colome be replaced. I've pointed out that his bad numbers have been more than just a 5 game stretch.

The vacuum is on the fritz in San Fran... he just walked Brantley to load the bases and up comes Jose Ramirez

Edit- 0 runs allowed.  He got him to fly out to hold on for the save.  5-4 SF. 

Edited by 6Kill

Dyson did not look good, getting a called strike on multiple pitches that could have gone the other way including one that looked clearly outside by a good 6+ inches.

Dyson was also getting squeezed on both sides of the plate

The two posts above this here do not compute.  lol

55 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

Dyson did not look good, getting a called strike on multiple pitches that could have gone the other way including one that looked clearly outside by a good 6+ inches.

Dyson pitched 2 innings last night.   It's a miracle he was able to get it done today period.

1 hour ago, MrMartyBarrett said:

You can add Clippard all you want, as can my league mates.  No shot I'm going near that mess

Logically this makes sense, but in a world where Sam Dyson can switch teams and all of a sudden turn it around completely, I wouldn't rule Clippard out. 

He's looked bad this year but he has closing experience and a pretty solid track record. 

Any update on Kela's bullpen session from yesterday?  There were reports a couple weeks ago that he could be activated once the ASB was over so hopefully everything is okay...

9 minutes ago, Zig Zag said:

Any update on Kela's bullpen session from yesterday?  There were reports a couple weeks ago that he could be activated once the ASB was over so hopefully everything is okay...

Latest I've read is we find out tomorrow. Bullpen session yesterday, rest today, see how he feels tomorrow. Feels good, activation is likely.

Clippard was actually good until mid June then the wheels fell off 

Also, Relievers can get away with putting guys on base if they have a high K rate.