Beakman

July Closer Thread 2017

7 minutes ago, Csiebert5 said:

Jason grili to the rangers! Think he starts closing out games for them? I think they've had it with all the injuries and just wanted to get a veteran that had experience closing out games! What's everyone think?

I doubt the Rangers will end up salvaging an actual closer from the Blue Jays' trash. 

But I guess stranger things have happened. His K:BB isn't terrible. 

Edited by Fiveohnine

Does anyone think maybe Texas acquiring Grilli is indication that Kela's shoulder issue is somewhat serious?

3 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Does anyone think maybe Texas acquiring Grilli is indication that Kela's shoulder issue is somewhat serious?

I am not the Texas Rangers team doctor .... so I don't know

do we have a doctor in the house?

5 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

i stayed in a holiday inn express last night....

10 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Me!  But I'm a pediatrician...

So I want to say it's probably croup?

19 minutes ago, street sharks said:

I think it indicates their bullpen sucks and they know there is competition for any arm that can be lifted above waist high.

5 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Me!  But I'm a pediatrician...

So I want to say it's probably croup?

I heard it was lice

31 minutes ago, street sharks said:

They said Kela has been having issues for five weeks and a DL stint hasn't been necessary, so no. 

25 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Who carries the veteran baseball presence in the Texas bullpen? Before today I mean. Jeffress at 29? Maybe Barnette at 33?

If it's not obvious, I think that bullpen lacks player leadership. Seems like a disjointed group of guys from what I've read and the telecasts I've listened to.

Would Grilli really even be a good add if that is the case? I recognize I could be way off base here, but as long as we're pontificating... 

Any update or news on M. Melancon? I've been out a few days. Thanks in advance.

PIT update....

Hurdle went to Watson against some lefties in the top of the 7th. Definitely seemed like a Rivero type scenario, so Hurdle may be starting to trust other guys more which could lead to less pre 9th inning appearances for Rivero.

Of course, Watson blew it.... so maybe not

RE: Kela Kela (biceps) is unlikely to be available out of the bullpen Saturday, but is expected to assume the role of closer upon his return Stefan Stevenson of the Forth Worth Star-Telegram reports. Kela received treatment for biceps tendinitis following Friday's game and has not pitched for the team since Tuesday. Although it would come as a shock if he played Saturday, it appears as though the 24-year-old will be the closer for the Rangers once he is ready to go. In the meantime, the club is going to take a closer-by-commitee approach with Matt Bush losing his role following his fifth blown save of the year in Friday's loss to the White Sox.

Dyson out for another save opp for SF.

Dyson with the clean inning and save.

Things for Dyson and Bush have taken a 180. The undulations of a season are remarkable at times.

Really hoping we see Kela in the 9th today (implying he's close to 100%), otherwise DL him retro to Tuesday and get him healthy.

9 minutes ago, Lebanasty said:

Things for Dyson and Bush have taken a 180. The undulations of a season are remarkable at times.

Really hoping we see Kela in the 9th today (implying he's close to 100%), otherwise DL him retro to Tuesday and get him healthy.

I'm hoping it's Leclerc since I forgot and left Kela on the bench since he was out since I picked both up on Friday. :D

1 hour ago, mpbaseball22 said:

PIT update....

Hurdle went to Watson against some lefties in the top of the 7th. Definitely seemed like a Rivero type scenario, so Hurdle may be starting to trust other guys more which could lead to less pre 9th inning appearances for Rivero.

Of course, Watson blew it.... so maybe not

If Watson blew it, why would there be even less early appearances for Rivero? Blowing it would lead to more, not less. 

The real reason there will probably be less 7th inning appearances for Rivero is because he has had almost none since he got the closers gig in the first place.

And the time they did try it, Nicasio imploded and they lost spectacularly, since Rivero had already been used. 

That, plus now that Bastardo is back, they have a bunch of lefties in that pen anyway even if Watson were even further demoted. 

lol Bush gets a break from the high pressure save situations...

First game comes in in the 7th protecting a 1-run lead. Leadoff walk to the 9 hitter. 4 straight balls.

This is the same thing Bannister did with Dyson when he struggled. What's not clear to him about this?

Edited by Lebanasty

8 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Is Devenski in line for the win in Houston?

Since Fiers left with the lead after only 4, I believe it's to the scorer's discretion. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Probably a good bet it's Devenski though.

EDIT: Also bailed out a little by a close CS. K'd the next two batters including Melky who is tough to get on strikes. Caught him looking to end the inning on an off-speed pitch through the middle of the zone.

Edited by Lebanasty

27 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

If Watson blew it, why would there be even less early appearances for Rivero? Blowing it would lead to more, not less. 

The real reason there will probably be less 7th inning appearances for Rivero is because he has had almost none since he got the closers gig in the first place.

And the time they did try it, Nicasio imploded and they lost spectacularly, since Rivero had already been used. 

That, plus now that Bastardo is back, they have a bunch of lefties in that pen anyway even if Watson were even further demoted. 

Bastardo has been awful and LeBlanc has a reverse platoon split, so Watson and Rivero are the only reliable lefties right now. 

After the game Hurdle said Watson pitched the 7th because they threw Rivero 2 innings yesterday so they wanted him to get a day off. He would only pitch in a save situation. Watson has been good lately, especially against lefties, so he went with him. No clue what would have happened if Rivero was 'unavailable' (whatever that means)

And to your bold, thats because they havent had very many leads to preserve since then 

Edited by mpbaseball22

Are we picking up Abad after that grueling save in Boston?

joking