Beakman

July Closer Thread 2017

Leclerc gives up bomb in the 8th.  Save opp blown.  

Ahhhhhhhh still nothing on kela! Save opp blown so we still won't know who's closing.

I'm hoping Ernesto frieri closes so I can see the Internet burned to the ground 

1 minute ago, mtw02 said:

Leclerc gives up bomb in the 8th.  Save opp blown.  

Yeah, that was sad to see him give that up to Yolmer Sanchez.

I'll be cutting him tomorrow then regardless of his good numbers overall this season.  He obviously wasn't getting the actual save opp today, and I just picked up Dyson a couple of days ago, so I'll just wait and see if Kela comes back soon.

With Bud pitching in 7th down by a run...what are we to make of it?   Bedrosian back in lead for save opps?

1 minute ago, mtw02 said:

With Bud pitching in 7th down by a run...what are we to make of it?   Bedrosian back in lead for save opps?

The way their manager has used their bullpen lately, I don't think even he knows.

Just now, KilloWertz said:

The way their manager has used their bullpen lately, I don't think even he knows.

Or he knows exactly what he's doing -- that is, his bullpen strategy doesn't revolve around a *gasp*, made-up, arbitrary statistic.

So much for Middleton being any good 

11 minutes ago, mtw02 said:

Well, my guess is they ease Bud back into the closer role..Let him get a few innings before just throwing him back in as closer.

Edited by Z06vette

1 hour ago, goldbaby11 said:

How are the Dyson haters doing today???

Change of scenary has helped Dyson a lot.  Outside of his rough first appearance with them he has been pretty lights out.  

Breaking news, Huston Street still has a 0.00 ERA

this could help determine who is next if/when Robertson is traded.

3 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

this could help determine who is next if/when Robertson is traded.

Roto said Nate Jones lol

Can Dyson be trusted? he could run with the closer job if Melancon has more than a bad elbow i think. or can i play him knowing my era wont get destroyed.

Rodney gives up his 1st earned run since April 30th which just so happens to be the last day he spent on my roster. Lesson learned: rage dropping is rarely the right choice.

53 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

And 324 career saves...

1 minute ago, SuperJoint said:

JJ blows it for ATL.

he shouldve gotten night off.   didnt he save 3 of past 4 games?

Vizcaino should've helped out,

He issues 2 straight walks.  Knew it was gonna be a disaster.

Jim Johnson blew it for Atlanta.

I think he is safe as far as closing goes. he hasn't had that much trouble in recent outtings, no earned runs in his previous 4 saves.

55 minutes ago, Stutin said:

Can Dyson be trusted? he could run with the closer job if Melancon has more than a bad elbow i think. or can i play him knowing my era wont get destroyed.

Go to Fangraphs' splits page and look at his numbers from June. I posted them in the June thread. Too lazy to do it again right now. I'll tell you this though... They're good. 

which of the talented guys are safe as far as trades go? i guess unlikely knebel is traded while the brewers are still in it.  rivero could if pittsburgh decides to unload

1 hour ago, urban2014 said:

Your posts are tantamount to trolling, either contribute something useful (which, sorry, doesn't include posting every single time a reliever manages to not give up a run) or don't waste thread space.

1 hour ago, Rho said:

which of the talented guys are safe as far as trades go? i guess unlikely knebel is traded while the brewers are still in it.  rivero could if pittsburgh decides to unload

Barely any chance either of them are dealt

The most likely candidates right now are 

the A's stable of crappy closers

Robertson if someone backs the brinks truck up

AJ Ramos

Addison Reed

Drew Storen maybe...not a closer but I could see him going somewhere to  possibly close.  

Maurer

Justin Wilson, maybe?

There's only 4 teams out of it in the AL right now.  The Blue Jays may sell, but you'd think they will hold onto Osuna.  Needless to say, the closer market doesn't look as appealing as we once thought it would.  

4 hours ago, herschel said:

norris in in the 7th down 2-0.

Maybe just getting work? He hasn't pitched yet since coming off the DL. It is a little weird they would use him in the 7th in such a close game (that could become a save opp pretty easily), but I still think it doesn't tell us much.