Beakman

July Closer Thread 2017

I grabbed Belisle but will probably drop him if I want to pick someone up.  Dude has been in the league for 14 years and never closed.  Unless the Twins are just all out of options, I don't know why it'd start now.  

53 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

I grabbed Belisle but will probably drop him if I want to pick someone up.  Dude has been in the league for 14 years and never closed.  Unless the Twins are just all out of options, I don't know why it'd start now.  

They might be out of options!

Just now, TTRA1N said:

Whos closing for Nats tonight? 

Doolittle 

1 minute ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

Even with Kinsler being acquire can Madson become the closer ?

Doolittle is clearly the closer right now and Madison the eight inning guy. If Doolittle needs to be replaced it will probably be Kinzler, not Madison taking over.

Why is Claudio pitching in the 7th inning.... I hate closers. 

Just now, dannyusf said:

Why is Claudio pitching in the 7th inning.... I hate closers. 

To face Cano and potentially Seager

Was that a save from Chapman or no? 

5 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Yes

7 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Yep the tying run was on deck when he came in.

So Claudio used to face the hottest part of the lineup with the game tied in the 7th. That screams confidence to me and assures he will be used in high leverage situations moving forward. The fact that he even got out of it while  also issuing an intentional walk should help his case to get saves opporitunies moving forward. 

Anyone else have thoughts about his useage today?

2 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

with the way the Washington bullpen has been this season with so much inconsistency and switching in and out closers I think one thing they should be looking for is to establish ONE closer as well as establishing who is getting used where. seeing how Doolittle has been used at closer I would think they like that stability and don't want to mess that up when someone else new comes in. just leave Doolittle alone at closer unless he starts blowing games (plural).

But he's been allowing too many baserunners. Right? Lol. 

7 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

So Claudio used to face the hottest part of the lineup with the game tied in the 7th. That screams confidence to me and assures he will be used in high leverage situations moving forward. The fact that he even got out of it while  also issuing an intentional walk should help his case to get saves opporitunies moving forward. 

It's hard to really draw much in the way of any conclusion.  Obviously you're right about the high leverage part, and up until tonight he was obviously the closer.  Him coming into the game in the 7th was a surprise, but they don't get any save opportunities anyways.

Regardless, it would be nice if the Rangers could score and get him in the win at least, but that would require more than a couple of hitters in their lineup to actually do something.

16 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

He's their only lefty in the bullpen, and Cano and Seager were coming up with a baserunner. It wasn't a confidence thing, it was a 'it makes sense to throw our lefty out there' kinda thing