MONEY BALL

John Collins 2017-2018 Season Outlook

Obviously with the caveat on your league setup (number of teams, scoring, etc):  I think people on here overestimate how high Collins' ceiling is THIS YEAR. I'm sure he will get more minutes in February or March but without injuries, 24-26 minutes is probably what you're looking at when/if that increase happens and he is better about staying out of foul trouble. If that is worth holding onto him for three more months just depends on your league. I just don't see the monster breakout that people are saying. I think the Hawks see a young big guy who can contribute 17-20 high energy minutes this year. They are going to play their vets if they are healthy. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BrotherMouzone said:

Obviously with the caveat on your league setup (number of teams, scoring, etc):  I think people on here overestimate how high Collins' ceiling is THIS YEAR. I'm sure he will get more minutes in February or March but without injuries, 24-26 minutes is probably what you're looking at when/if that increase happens and he is better about staying out of foul trouble. If that is worth holding onto him for three more months just depends on your league. I just don't see the monster breakout that people are saying. I think the Hawks see a young big guy who can contribute 17-20 high energy minutes this year. They are going to play their vets if they are healthy. 

you sound like a guy that missed out on collins. ATL doesn't NEED to play their vets, in fact collins is probably one of their better bigs, so either way they are going to play him whether they are tryna win or rebuild. It's frigging Dedmon we are talking about LOL. wtf

4 hours ago, BrotherMouzone said:

Obviously with the caveat on your league setup (number of teams, scoring, etc):  I think people on here overestimate how high Collins' ceiling is THIS YEAR. I'm sure he will get more minutes in February or March but without injuries, 24-26 minutes is probably what you're looking at when/if that increase happens and he is better about staying out of foul trouble. If that is worth holding onto him for three more months just depends on your league. I just don't see the monster breakout that people are saying. I think the Hawks see a young big guy who can contribute 17-20 high energy minutes this year. They are going to play their vets if they are healthy

Atlanta is 2-12. The whole playing their vets thing works for competitive teams. When you're mathematically eliminated by Christmas you tend to see more young kids, especially ones drafted high and playing well in limited minutes. 

If you want to wait until he gets a starting job and big minutes before picking him up you risk being the owner that said the same before missing out on Donovan Mitchell. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JChan17 said:

It's frigging Dedmon we are talking about LOL. wtf

Dedmons actually pretty good and they like him a lot. He’s added a nice 3 point shot recently and it’s not like he’s 35 YO. Pretty clear they are not making the playoffs at this point and the starter and back up PF have been out a week+ and yet Collins not getting any minutes there.

Collins has only been limiting himself with his foul rate this year. he needs to get that under control before coach even has the ability to extend his minutes. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Philzilla said:

Collins has only been limiting himself with his foul rate this year. he needs to get that under control before coach even has the ability to extend his minutes. 

this is true.

budenholzer is actually putting in collins early in games now, and only pulls him out minutes later due to foul trouble. come 4th Q, the coach finds collins minutes as well even if he's got 5 fouls already.

most of cavanaugh's minutes yday were probably supposed to be for collins. if collins learns to stay out of foul trouble, i think it's a lock that he's going to get 28+ minutes. his coach obviously likes him.

• Like 1

Agreed. The minutes should be there (especially later in the year), providing he can keep his fouls down.

On 11/13/2017 at 10:45 PM, meteorya said:

No Ersan and Muskala and <24 min. Then they must play too.

Definitely not.. part of the Hawks future. Come on, check out Collins and watch the game this young man's a stud. Dennis and Collins are the future of the Hawks to build around. If they were in contention for playoffs then YES Ersan and Muskala will have significant minutes over the rookie. 

But he can't stretch. Hawks modern team, so he just Center. But Dedmon better for defending centers. Sharing time, bunch of fouls. What minutes you predict ASB? 24-26-28-30?

Ersan will eventually be benched. It's just a matter of when. For Collins owners, ofcourse the earlier the better. The kid is a monster on the offensive glass like a young Tristan Thompson, he will get his shot this season. 

collins was drafted to be a project "4"... then the hawks sign dedmon as a FA to play C for them... and when the season comes along, the coaches quickly realize that collins would be better off as a C.

both collins and dedmon are actually playing well. and because the hawks suck it doesn't make sense for them to limit their two best bigs just because of spacing issues. they're gonna lose anyway! collins is a future building block, dedmon can be a usable piece not just this year, but the next as well. it's time to play them more together.

besides, collins at PF might actually protect him from foul trouble as well. his athleticism will allow him to at least challenge stretch fours and wings.

Since Dedmon can shoot the 3 at a respectable 39% and Collins is fast enough to guard PFs I think they ll start playing together later in the season. It won't be ideal I think, but I don't see any reason to limit Collins minutes. I believe they want to give him as much as he can handle. The problem is he is fouling like crazy. With 26 mins I think he averages five fouls and that is what is holding him back so far. Even if he doesn't foul out he loses minutes automatically when he reaches 4 or 5.

Edited by RipCity0

Dedmon only 1.3 3PT attemps. Never before shoot 3. Do the Dedmon-Collins on floor possible. How coach figures this. Maybe for matchups only.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2017 at 6:45 PM, HarmStrong said:

356A8AFEA9ED064403550A48C759B1FD165C90C3

Waiting for other owners to drop Collins

Told you ..

it happened! Collins dropped..

now .. should I stash or leave him alone 

As a reference point for other owners in the same quandary, Greg Monroe is on my WW still this morning and I'm sticking with The Baptist

9 minutes ago, RCRanger03 said:

As a reference point for other owners in the same quandary, Greg Monroe is on my WW still this morning and I'm sticking with The Baptist

I'm in the exact same position. The baptist is my only clear drop for Moose but I could not handle if i make the switch and moose doesnt perform or gets traded

I'm holding firm in a 12 teamer.  Just too much upside to make a drop at this point.  If I were to drop, he would be snapped up instantly and wouldn't see the wire again.  Clearly they think enough of him to bring him off the bench as the first big.  The only reason he doesn't stay on the court longer in the 1st quarter/half is his own fault.  I do worry that he isn't learning how to keep his fouls down though.  I've learned to never look at his box score until the end of the game because if you check at the half you're going to be upset.  Babbitt and Ilya don't concern me.  They aren't in the future plans of the team so there's no reason to give them big minutes as the season progresses.  Another factor that has me holding tight is that he is going to get minutes regardless of the score.  He's played in close games, he's played in blowouts.  This team will lose a lot of games and garbage stats still count as stats.

tl;dr - if this ship is going down, I'm going down with it.

• Like 1

Monroe might be fine for the next few days but who knows what's happened by even this time next week.  I'm also more pessimistic than lots of people on Collins becoming much more than he already is, but there's no way I'd drop him for Monroe.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BoogieNights said:

I'm holding firm in a 12 teamer.  Just too much upside to make a drop at this point.  If I were to drop, he would be snapped up instantly and wouldn't see the wire again.  Clearly they think enough of him to bring him off the bench as the first big.  The only reason he doesn't stay on the court longer in the 1st quarter/half is his own fault.  I do worry that he isn't learning how to keep his fouls down though.  I've learned to never look at his box score until the end of the game because if you check at the half you're going to be upset.  Babbitt and Ilya don't concern me.  They aren't in the future plans of the team so there's no reason to give them big minutes as the season progresses.  Another factor that has me holding tight is that he is going to get minutes regardless of the score.  He's played in close games, he's played in blowouts.  This team will lose a lot of games and garbage stats still count as stats.

tl;dr - if this ship is going down, I'm going down with it.

This has been oh-so-true for the last two games. 0/2 with 3 fouls at half, then he's got something like 14/8 and a block when it's all said and done.

Picked him up (someone dropped him)

Dedmon + Collins combo should give me 90% of Gobert's stats (minus blocks) :) 

• Like 2

Yes it was mentioned he started for Luke Babbit. Babbit out with a back injury.

Great news that John is being considered for multiple positions now.

Edited by Sanchez_