MONEY BALL

John Collins 2017-2018 Season Outlook

Starting with Dedmon is finally happening...I've been wanting it for weeks. Glad he showed coach Bud he knows what to do with the minutes! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dazed_up said:

What a beastly stat line! ... on my bench :(

Me too. I played the wait and see. But you know what, at least it wasn't for someone else's in my league. :P

And the good thing is, this will be the first of many beast games. Whether he starts only against bigger lineups or starts the rest of the way, as long as it's starter minutes I am fine with it.

He won't be on my bench again!

Edited by Tekno Team 2000
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

Me too. I played the wait and see. But you know what, at least it wasn't for someone else's in my league. :P

And the good thing is, this will be the first of many beast games. Whether he starts only against bigger lineups or starts the rest of the way, as long as it's starter minutes I am fine with it.

He won't be on my bench again!

Truuue. Glad he was on my bench and not someone else's :lol:

I think the nickname LeJohn Ballins is here to stay 

• Like 2

On top of the big boy line he just put up, this kid launches 3's in practice and before games and makes a TON.

If he starts putting up 2 three pointers per game, and make make close to 1 per game, WATCH OUT.

I'm going to predict

0.5/17/8/1/1 post all-star break

I could be off on the 3's if he doesn't get the green light, but if you watch Collins play, you'll see a high motor, high IQ player with size and athleticism to be VERY consistent on the boards.  His shot isn't silky smooth, but it's simple.  I like it.  I like it alot.

3rd time ive picked him up on my 10 teamer. Please be breakout time.

1 hour ago, ROTY said:

3rd time ive picked him up on my 10 teamer. Please be breakout time.

Haha same with me, keep swapping him in and our for Sabonis. Hopefully he can keep the fouls down now. 

• Like 1

In his last 5 games, John Collins has made 37 of 48 field goal attempts (77.1 percent) B)

• Like 3

Hey guys - so, does everyone think the starting lineup gig is going to stick with him now? The Hawks got to be trying to develop him, with the squad they're rolling out every night

10 minutes ago, squidthunder said:

Hey guys - so, does everyone think the starting lineup gig is going to stick with him now? The Hawks got to be trying to develop him, with the squad they're rolling out every night

Even if it doesn't stick they seem ready to give him really good mins. He can take his usual 22-24 as a backup C and maybe 6 more at PF. I think especially after a couple of months he is a lock for 30+.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, squidthunder said:

I mean they might as well. Babbit is probably the better fit, just for spacing, but they are a really $hit team so they should give more time to this guy who is clearly going to be a big part of their future. But you never know, Bud might like to keep him under control, which may be the best way to move forward long-term. Guess we'll have to sit tight and enjoy what we're getting, which is nothing to complain about already

^^In 9cat 2x2 he’s sitting at 64 so with more minutes likely yeah, top 50, maybe 40. 

8 minutes ago, BetterCallHinkie said:

anyone else believe he will crack top 50 this year?

That's probably pushing it imo, but Top-75 is achievable. The problem with rookies (and it's expected) is that they're not consistent. So while he'll have the occasional great line, and a bunch of decent ones, he'll also have a fair number of stinkers where he'll get pulled for not performing well, or get into foul trouble. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, squidthunder said:

I'm going to tell you something. I saw much of the game last night. The starters are at least NBA players. The 2nd team is a bunch of nobodies. I'm watching him play alongside Belinelli, Malcolm Delaney, Josh Magette , and Tyler Cavanaugh. I mean WHO ARE THESE GUYS? Aside from Belinelli, this is an unbelievable collection of no-name players. 

My point is that Collins' PT was staggered, playing with both starters and these scrubs for much of the night. In this lineup, he can actually be the focal point on both sides of the court. Plenty of opportunity to continue to produce, even if he does not start. To continue to start, he has to beat out Ilya and Babbitt. Read that again and you will see why I believe he will get 30+ minutes a night going forward.

I was buying him in bulk right before the season started/in its first days.  So I own him in a lot of places and will be thrilled to be wrong but I heard Josh Lloyd predict top 50 ROS and couldn't believe my ears.  

He gets paid to predict this stuff and I don't,  but I'm not seeing it. 

55 minutes ago, Tom Chambers said:

I was buying him in bulk right before the season started/in its first days.  So I own him in a lot of places and will be thrilled to be wrong but I heard Josh Lloyd predict top 50 ROS and couldn't believe my ears.  

He gets paid to predict this stuff and I don't,  but I'm not seeing it. 

His per 36 numbers put him at 65th overall in 9-cat right now. If he gets more stocks per game it's possible. We know he's going to gobble up rebounds and shoot at a high FG% with low turnovers. His FT% is good for a big, so the biggest swing in his value would be steals and blocks. Like you, I am skeptical that he can give this kind of return on investment (most of us got him off the wire or drafted in deep leagues.) but to know it's even a possibility is fantastic.

• Like 1

Is it me or his defensive not as bad as people said it was? Rookies obviously can be prone to fouling, but I think he's held his own defensively. Really looking forward to how this kid progresses.  

Edited by Identikit

3 hours ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

I'm going to tell you something. I saw much of the game last night. The starters are at least NBA players. The 2nd team is a bunch of nobodies. I'm watching him play alongside Belinelli, Malcolm Delaney, Josh Magette , and Tyler Cavanaugh. I mean WHO ARE THESE GUYS? Aside from Belinelli, this is an unbelievable collection of no-name players. 

My point is that Collins' PT was staggered, playing with both starters and these scrubs for much of the night. In this lineup, he can actually be the focal point on both sides of the court. Plenty of opportunity to continue to produce, even if he does not start. To continue to start, he has to beat out Ilya and Babbitt. Read that again and you will see why I believe he will get 30+ minutes a night going forward.

I agree.  His path to minutes has few obstacles.  He is his own biggest obstacle.  He is young and the NBA is fast and physical.  He will have a few nights where he struggles due to fouls.  However, I think he will sort out what needs to be done on most nights and will continue to improve both offensively and defensively.  Top 50 this year?  I can't predict.  However, sometimes the rankings don't indicate true value.  This guy's arrow is pointed straight up both this season and beyond.

In both of his last two games, he has entered the 4th period with only 2 fouls. :D

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

In both of his last two games, he has entered the 4th period with only 2 fouls. :D

:ph34r:  I couldn't find a two-thumbs up for that comment!

• Like 1