MONEY BALL

John Collins 2017-2018 Season Outlook

I haven't gotten a chance to actually watch a Hawks game (being a Canadian, it's pretty much Raps only), so I'm not too informed on how he's doing. It seems the only blimp on getting serious PT his foul issues, and that's kinda expected for a rookie.

The Hawks are in serious rebuild mode, and should be developing him the rest of the way

55 minutes ago, squidthunder said:

I haven't gotten a chance to actually watch a Hawks game (being a Canadian, it's pretty much Raps only), so I'm not too informed on how he's doing. It seems the only blimp on getting serious PT his foul issues, and that's kinda expected for a rookie.

The Hawks are in serious rebuild mode, and should be developing him the rest of the way

Dude...every heard of (not-so) llegal streams...The NBA world is your oyster.

I've watched a couple and he just has hops and knows where to be. Smart player. I see him as an Aaron Gordon type. Much better rebounder though, he'll be shooting threes by next year at the latest

7 minutes ago, Jake the snake said:

Dude...every heard of (not-so) llegal streams...The NBA world is your oyster.

I've watched a couple and he just has hops and knows where to be. Smart player. I see him as an Aaron Gordon type. Much better rebounder though, he'll be shooting threes by next year at the latest

oh yea - I got an android box, and can watch most games, but sometime I get lazy and slap on the Raps game lol

image.png.331f8fc1b149fddc9982808a2f90c51f.png

• Like 1

A look back: http://www.nba.com/article/2017/05/26/despite-impressive-stats-wake-forest-john-collins-deserves-more-attention#/

"A PER of 15.0 is a league average, a baseline by which comparisons can begin. [...] And then there’s Hollinger top of the mountain -- any player who records a PER of 35.0 or above has put together an all-time great season.

In 2016-17, John Collins, a 19-year-old, 6-foot-10, 225-pound post player from Wake Forest, produced a PER of 35.9, which led the nation. Since Hollinger began applying his formula to college basketball in 2009, a couple guys you may have heard about were also national PER leaders -- Stephen Curry (Davidson) and Anthony Davis (Kentucky).

[...]

More amazing is why Collins isn’t projected to be drafted even higher than the late teens. A conversation with Collins reveals an intelligent, driven young man whose story remarkably parallels that of former Wake Forest star Tim Duncan. Teams that don’t consider taking Collins with a lottery pick do so at their own peril. Probably at this very moment, Collins is working on his perceived weaknesses, using the military discipline instilled by his parents -- father John served in the Navy and mother Lyria the Air Force -- and the coaching of Wake Forest’s Danny Manning to become even more efficient, a stone-cold killer on the basketball court.

[...]

Collins credits Manning with helping him build a complete game and repertoire that allowed him to -- as he was putting together a streak of 12 consecutive 20-plus points games, the most at Wake Forest in more than 40 years -- overcome being double- and sometimes triple-teamed and still be able to produce. “What we continue to talk about is manufactured points,” Manning said during the NCAA tournament. “And for John, we talk about second-chance opportunities, getting to the free-throw line, and then early post-ups in transition. And if he can get anywhere from 10 to 12 points in those categories, we're going to have a chance to have some success throughout the rest of our offense in terms of getting him post touches and just touches in general.”

[...]

Collins wasn’t a heralded recruit, but the trouble with recruiting rankings is they can’t gauge what’s in a player’s heart, and his mind. They don’t necessarily take into account influences or work ethic. Blessed with size and mobility, Collins was also shaped and molded by, in particular, his mother and an observant youth basketball coach who recognized something special the first time he laid eyes on a seven-year-old Collins. “My mom is my backbone,” Collins said. “I’m used to structure, and the relationship I have with my mom, from a military standpoint, is all about structure. There’s a certain way of doing things."

You can recognize some of those things mentioned. E.g. the hustle on boards for second-chance opportunities. Efficiency. The work ethic/measured approach also sounds great going forward.

Edited by Preparing the Kool-Aid

2 hours ago, TheBoondocks said:

He's playing NY tonight. 

I expect a feast 

The Knicks are actually one of the best teams defensively at the PF position. They're middle of the pack at C though. 

2 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

The Knicks are actually one of the best teams defensively at the PF position. They're middle of the pack at C though. 

Using those Ryan Knaus charts I see haha

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

Would he be guarding the Unicorn?

Edited by squidthunder

25 minutes ago, squidthunder said:

I watched only a few first half minutes of his game against Clippers and it was Collins guarding Jordan and Dedmon guarding Griffin. For me it didn't make sense and I think even the commentators wondered why this is happening.

1 hour ago, squidthunder said:

I'll be honest, I'm not sure. As @RipCity0 said, they had a weird defensive assignment in the Clippers game. I'll be watching the game closely for sure though.

2 hours ago, squidthunder said:

oh yea - I got an android box, and can watch most games, but sometime I get lazy and slap on the Raps game lol

image.png.331f8fc1b149fddc9982808a2f90c51f.png

Oh don't get me wrong I watch most of them myself, but its definitely worth watching other teams too. Atlanta...I must admit haven't been the best games I've seen. Although it was fun watching them beat the Cavs. So glad I dropped Prince for Collins though (yes shallowER league...Prince is not pleasant viewing)

1 hour ago, RCRanger03 said:

He's a found gold nugget in my OREB and 2x2 league

This has been me everytime he gets more minutes:

tumblr_mg0qssNpVR1qed74no1_500.gif

Those two dudes are totally about to kiss that guy up the side of his head with that there stone and run away with his gold

Was taken out with a minute left in the 3rd and hasn't come back in... :( 

He had a good game going, and only 3 fouls. Not sure what the reasoning was there

9 minutes ago, RCRanger03 said:

Was taken out with a minute left in the 3rd and hasn't come back in... :( 

He had a good game going, and only 3 fouls. Not sure what the reasoning was there

It's good to win from time to time so they went with the lineup that was rolling.

Saw on my team page he’s been a non impact in the first quarter...

I never read much into The Baptist lines until the final whistle, he’s a microwave and seems like he can turn a nothing line into a rock solid one in 2 minutes flat.

5 minutes ago, kane said:

WTF,he is on the bench in garbage time

He was a starter...why would he be on the court during garbage time and or a blowout?

Edited by HK-47

4 minutes ago, ThisIsSparta said:

Garbage time special coming up. Give your owners a wonderful stat line!

Dont think he is coming back in. Being treated like a starter now.

I guess that's a good thing long term and he is starting permanently from here on out.

Sucks for today's line.