Sign in to follow this  
DerrickHenrysCleats

James Conner 2017 Season Outlook

On 7/26/2017 at 5:57 PM, cousinal111 said:

Bell owners better handcuff Connor early. 

Already did here along with tousant and still have dwill. Lol. 

1 hour ago, UcanTry said:

Already did here along with tousant and still have dwill. Lol. 

No, they don't.  Williams is a free agent.

9 hours ago, PepperPot said:

No, they don't.  Williams is a free agent.

I think he meant HE still owns Dwill

6 hours ago, Fort4242 said:

I think he meant HE still owns Dwill

Yup no reason to drop as no one else is available 

Love his story..ran incredibly hard at pitt. Ran for 1700+ and 26 TDs in 2014, the production was massive. Only to be diagnosed with cancer going into 2015. Battled hard, even came to practice and worked out during treatment, and came back in 2016 to still amass 1000+ yards and 16 TDs. 

I loved this guy watching him in 2014, he looked like another version if beastmode, and i think the talent and the drive he has makes him stand out. He claims he wasnt even 100% in 2016, which is understandable, but still came back, had a team rally around him ,name him captain, and still had good production.

It may be small to some, but that kind of drive, toughness and dedication can be hard to come by. I love this kid and hope he can have a great NFL future.

Another year removed from recovery, I would DEFINATLEY get my hands on him if i owned bell (and maybe even if i didnt)

http://www.wtae.com/article/james-conner-leaves-steelers-practice-with-shoulder-injury/10383974

Rookie running back James Conner left the Pittsburgh Steelers' first padded practice early with a shoulder injury.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Sunday the former University of Pittsburgh star was being evaluated. The third-round pick overcame lymphoma to become the ACC Player of the Year.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/08/01/James-Conner-injury-update-left-shoulder-training-camp-2017-pitt/stories/201708010142

The Steelers received some good news about rookie running back James Conner of Pitt, who injured his left shoulder on Sunday and had his arm in a sling the past two days.

The injury is considered minor and Conner could return to practice later this week.

He's a handcuff for Bell. If he ever gets to start in Pittsburgh, Conner's got a legit shot to be an RB1. Otherwise, he'll get 10 yards a week.

Edited by beware d-ware

On 8/3/2017 at 7:39 AM, vikingapocalypse said:

4.65, not horrible considering bell was 4.6

Arian Foster ran a 4.69 at his pro day. Sometimes guys have a bad day, or they have better lateral movement than straight line speed.

(I know you know this, just making a general statement for readers).

2 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

Arian Foster ran a 4.69 at his pro day. Sometimes guys have a bad day, or they have better lateral movement than straight line speed.

(I know you know this, just making a general statement for readers).

From anyone that watched him in college, do do you think the 4.65 speed is correct? Or are there times where he amps it up and can breakaway?

2 hours ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

From anyone that watched him in college, do do you think the 4.65 speed is correct? Or are there times where he amps it up and can breakaway?

Can't calculate the speed, but can say i like what I saw. Combine that boost / skill with his worth ethic and hometown favorite, throw in a Bell who will not sign, who has only played one full season in four years, and Conner seems like a must-draft cuff for a Round 1 investment.

16 hours ago, cohenstantinople said:

Can't calculate the speed, but can say i like what I saw. Combine that boost / skill with his worth ethic and hometown favorite, throw in a Bell who will not sign, who has only played one full season in four years, and Conner seems like a must-draft cuff for a Round 1 investment.

Awesome. I liked what a saw out him this past week. Whats with the drops though? Does he have a history of that?

46 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Awesome. I liked what a saw out him this past week. Whats with the drops though? Does he have a history of that?

In 461 touches, Conner has fumbled 6 times, losing the rock 5 times. No concerns. Comparable to Carlos Hyde, who in 217 touches last year fumbled 3 times, except that for an RB to move from college to the pros he has to reduce his rate of fumblage. Hyde still has work to do.

6 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

In 461 touches, Conner has fumbled 6 times, losing the rock 5 times. No concerns. Comparable to Carlos Hyde, who in 217 touches last year fumbled 3 times, except that for an RB to move from college to the pros he has to reduce his rate of fumblage. Hyde still has work to do.

I think he was referring to pass drops. 

25 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

18 minutes ago, JSA2422 said:

Yes I was referring to passes dropped. He had like 3 in a row. I'm hopefully chalking it up to 1st game jitters, but also wondering if anyone knows if this is an area of concern in his game. Did he drop a lot of passes in college?

1 hour ago, JSA2422 said:

57 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Yes I was referring to passes dropped. He had like 3 in a row. I'm hopefully chalking it up to 1st game jitters, but also wondering if anyone knows if this is an area of concern in his game. Did he drop a lot of passes in college?

Out of those 461 touches, only 9 were receptions. He wasn't truly used as a receiving back. If the Steelers see Conner as a potential replacement, or at least a backup for Bell, maybe they're looking to develop this skill-set. As of now, Conner's receiving ability is under construction.