lipitorkid

Keston Hiura 2B MIL

I made the preemptive pickup in a league with only 3 bench spots (and no NA). I’m confident he’s coming up very soon and don’t want to miss out. 

• Like 2

Are the people who are adding just doing a speculative add, or are you seeing news of his pending arrival? I searched around a bit, and other than his amazing stats I don't see any other news.

12 minutes ago, kwelch said:

Are the people who are adding just doing a speculative add, or are you seeing news of his pending arrival? I searched around a bit, and other than his amazing stats I don't see any other news.

Well it's his amazing stats coupled with Travis Shaw's .174/.259/.306 line and 42 Ks (in 121 AB). 

The Brewers, in my opinion, are already playing with a less than ideal infield alignment to optimize the bats in their lineup, playing Moustakas at 2B and Shaw at 3B. Only problem is that Shaw is hitting like crap, and Hiura would almost certainly be an offensive upgrade. I don't know a ton about Hiura's glove but I'd imagine he is more of a natural 2B than Moose, so moving Moose back to 3B and letting Hiura be the primary 2B might also improve the defense. 

It just seems logical that he'd get a shot soon. He's raked at every level since being a 1st round pick in 2017, and he's not really "blocked" by anyone. 

Edited by mjb03003
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kwelch said:

It's just speculative, but it's not a bad one.  Shaw sucks, Hiura had turned a corner with his K rate, and the extra service time date is in the rearview mirror. I'm not personally there yet with him but that has more to do with team/league settings than Hiura.

• Thanks 1

Another point:

Shaw's splits:

2019 vs. LHP - .100/.129/.100 (30 AB)

2019 vs. RHP - .198/.298/.374 (91 AB)

2018 vs. LHP - .209/.303/.296 (115 AB)

2018 vs. RHP - .251/.357/.535 (383 AB)

Hiura's splits:

2019 vs. LHP - .297/.341/.568 (37 AB)

2019 vs. RHP - .356/.413/.849 (73 AB)

2018 vs. LHP - .345/.431/.563 (119 AB)

2018 vs. RHP - .276/.332/.432 (366 AB)

At the very worst Hiura could start against ALL lefties and he and Shaw could split time against RHP. My thinking is that Hiura would prove to be worthy of more of a full-time role almost immediately and Shaw would become more of a utility player. 

• Like 3

It has to be his slow start at AAA combined with Super 2. Shaw still has an option too. So dumb.

1 minute ago, pierceNKC said:

is it time to jump in redraft leagues?

I believe so.  I grabbed him today.  And another league member, bid on him as well.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Magoo said:

It has to be his slow start at AAA combined with Super 2. Shaw still has an option too. So dumb.

It would seem foolish to wait until mid June to call up Hiura. They are in a tough division and every game won/lost in May can significantly effect their chances of making the playoffs. 

17 minutes ago, Magoo said:

sloiw start?...he is hitting .349 with 11 homeruns early on this year

2 hours ago, mjb03003 said:

At the very worst Hiura could start against ALL lefties and he and Shaw could split time against RHP. My thinking is that Hiura would prove to be worthy of more of a full-time role almost immediately and Shaw would become more of a utility player. 

There's no way they're going to call up a prospect like Hiura and start his service clock to split time with Shaw. If he's called up, it will definitely be in a full time role (and if he falters for an extended period they'll obviously have the option of sending him back down, but hopefully that won't be the case). Shaw would absolutely seem to be the odd man out in that scenario one way or another with Moustakas moving to 3B full time. (Shaw also has some first base experience, so he could mix and match with Aguilar and Thames if they want.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dark One said:

There's no way they're going to call up a prospect like Hiura and start his service clock to split time with Shaw. If he's called up, it will definitely be in a full time role (and if he falters for an extended period they'll obviously have the option of sending him back down, but hopefully that won't be the case). Shaw would absolutely seem to be the odd man out in that scenario one way or another with Moustakas moving to 3B full time. (Shaw also has some first base experience, so he could mix and match with Aguilar and Thames if they want.

I agree with the bolded and it's definitely a good point that Shaw's 1B experience gives him 3 positions to rotate if they want to keep him involved as a super-utility bat (against RHP only). 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

sloiw start?...he is hitting .349 with 11 homeruns early on this year

I should have been more specific. Struck out like crazy to start. I’m nitpicking just to speculate why they are holding him down. I think he’s ready

I just picked him up after reading all your comments. Hope I don't have to wait months like we do with some other prospects.

8 minutes ago, Magoo said:

I should have been more specific. Struck out like crazy to start. I’m nitpicking just to speculate why they are holding him down. I think he’s ready

Yeah, he just needed to adjust - over his last 16 games he has a 9 BB/8 K ratio and his OBP has climbed to over .400 on the season. The K problems were primarily in his first 15 games (9 multiple K games), over his last 16 games he only has 2 multiple K games.

• Like 2

I missed out on Kieboom in my NL-only auction league due to worse waiver order, but I did not make the same mistake for Hiura.  I have him sitting in my minors spot at $1 just waiting for a call up.  Been holding for about 3 weeks now.  Getting Hiura would allow me to finally dump Peraza's sorry butt at $14.

Has anyone seen any concrete evidence that he will make a leap shortly, beside Travis Shaw descending into a minus 100 Mendoza grave?

14 minutes ago, dfstout said:

Has anyone seen any concrete evidence that he will make a leap shortly, beside Travis Shaw descending into a minus 100 Mendoza grave?

No, but there rarely is any concrete evidence. Just speculation.

Typically, by the time a beat writer/national columnist indicates a call up is imminent, it's too late to make the immediate add in competitive leagues.

Edited by Dark One

2 minutes ago, Dark One said:

No, but there rarely is any concrete evidence. Just speculation.

Typically, by the time a beat writer/national columnist indicates a call up is imminent, it's too late to make the immediate add in competitive leagues.

Yea, Senzel was drafted in my league for instance...is he comparable to him?

Travis Shaw is really a dead man walking. He has massively regressed in about every category you can imagine.

Mike Moustakas is also playing with a fractured finger and is not a good defender.

Jesus Aguilar is a one trick pony who hasn't been doing his trick and Eric Thames isn't the answer either.

Brewers in the wild card race. Stars are aligning. Beat the tweeters.

Edit: to point out also Arcia is bad.

Edited by pushaZ
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, dfstout said:

I wouldn't say they're comparable players - Hiura has more power, Senzel more speed and versatility, but both have immense fantasy upside for sure. Long term, if Senzel is going to remain in the OF I'd prefer Hiura just based on positional scarcity, but they are both must have dynasty/keeper assets for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, dfstout said:

Hiura was listed #9 on MLB.com's list of top 10 fantasy prospects for 2019. Here's what MLB.com had to say about him in March:

9. Keston Hiura, 2B, Brewers’ No. 1 prospect (No. 20 overall)

The Brewers haven’t had a prospect with an offensive ceiling like Hiura’s since the Ryan Braun/Prince Fielder days, and it might not be long until he joins the former in Milwaukee’s lineup. With a gorgeous right-handed swing and knack for barreling the baseball, Hiura has the potential to offer major production from a premium position. And while he ostensibly faces a roadblock to big league playing time in Mike Moustakas, the Brewers, after finishing a game short of reaching the World Series in 2018, are not going to suppress Hiura’s potent bat in the Minors unnecessarily.

Edited by mjb03003
  • Thanks 1

The biggest issue is who will get moved to clear room on the 40 man roster. I think Shaw gets a couple more weeks. If things aren't better by early June they'll bring up Hiura. 

June is Super 2 day so he should be up after that deadline. If Milwaukee starts losing I don't think they will wait til June. Brewers should be a playoff team so no way they let Hiura sit in the minors while they dig themselves a hole in the standings.

Just now, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

wanna stash him really bad...lol

problem is i have kimbrel rostered and zac gallen stashed already, so currently have 2 guys who arent even playing in the bigs on my roster...lol

Thats very common to stash guys who aren’t “playing in the bigs”. Do you want to be ahead of the curve? You stash.