Sign in to follow this  
killa3312

Chris Godwin 2017 Season Outlook

Apparently, he's been tearing up camp all offseason and has started again with training camp. Really liked this guy coming out of Penn State - surprisingly athletic and big, and can really go after the ball. Abused USC in the Rose Bowl - I'm thinking he can beat out Humphries for the #3 receiver position after Evans and Jackson. We'll see how he does once the pads come on and preseason, but I think he has a chance to be a total steal as a 3rd rounder. Big time potential down the road in keeper leagues.

Yea I agree, I think there's upside here as a WR2 eventually in dynasty. It's very possible he also severely damages whatever upside Desean Jackson may have as a perennial 55-1000-X guy. I know they'll play different roles, but it wouldn't shock me greatly if Godwin began to command more targets as the season progressed. 

His presence though, along with D-Jax and Howard, certainly make it fair to wonder if Mike Evans will earn another 173 targets this year. 

Going back to Godwin though, the knock on him is his separation skills due to quickness concerns. I guess this does show up on his tape at times as he does get into quite a few 50-50 ball situations (which he's pretty good at winning IMO). Frankly though, I see a pretty savvy route runner with good size and speed to be a very reliable target opposite Mike Evans for the next several years. And through that route running, he does get himself open quite a bit. 

He's 6-1, 209 with 4.42 speed, but only had a decent 7.01 3-cone time, which probably plays into scouts' knock on his short area agility. Still, his timed numbers are very close to Golden Tate (4.42, 7.10, same 10-yard dash, worse shuttle), and Tate is three inches shorter and eleven pounds lighter. 

And as you said, he's turning heads at camp after having made several plays already in just a few days, receiving praise from teammates and coaches.

While I don't see him achieving much more than 55-700-5 as a rookie, I do think he'll make some clutch catches for the Bucs this year, annoy D-Jax owners along the way, and ultimately serving as a potential long term, reliable Davante Adams-type opposite Mike Evans for the next several seasons if he can stay healthy. It seems like he's going early 3rd round in 12-team dynasty rookie drafts right now. Really nice value there IMO.

10 hours ago, killa3312 said:

Apparently, he's been tearing up camp all offseason and has started again with training camp. Really liked this guy coming out of Penn State - surprisingly athletic and big, and can really go after the ball. Abused USC in the Rose Bowl - I'm thinking he can beat out Humphries for the #3 receiver position after Evans and Jackson. We'll see how he does once the pads come on and preseason, but I think he has a chance to be a total steal as a 3rd rounder. Big time potential down the road in keeper leagues.

Humpphries is a slot player, nothing more. I don't know if I can see Godwin in that role. 

2 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

Humpphries is a slot player, nothing more. I don't know if I can see Godwin in that role. 

well...that is who he is currently competing with for the slot role..long term though, I agree with you.

Edited by Rizzle630

Just a sit and see what he does kind of thing for me, hope he flashes enough to give me some confidence that he can be Evans wide receiver partner for many years. 

Love this dude.  Not predicting a breakout this week necessarily, but I have him in my dynasty league riding the taxi squad at the moment.  Expect big things from him in the future.

Played a good game, fitz underthrew him a few times as well. Sucks that he will be relegated back to #4 duties but he is definitely better than humphries.

Godwin to start week 16. Does this make him a better option than Humphries?

Fri, Dec 22

ESPN's Jenna Laine confirms Chris Godwin will start Week 16 against the Panthers.

Advice: He's filling in for DeSean Jackson (ankle). Godwin last started when Mike Evans served a one-game suspension against the Jets in Week 10. He caught five-of-10 targets for 68 yards in that game while seeing the field on 69-of-71 offensive snaps. Godwin is a risky play in season-long leagues, but he'll be an interesting DFS dart throw at only $4,500 on FanDuel.

I was thinking Humphries but Godwin is interesting.  5/68 week 10 filling in for Evans, 5/68 last week, filling in for Jackson final 3 quarters.  I think that there is a good chance either  Byrd or Godwin score a TD in that game.  Combo of opportunity and bad DBs.  But which one.  ?

On 12/23/2017 at 12:16 AM, StevenSC400 said:

Starting this guy is probably the biggest risk out of anyone I have heard so far. You guys have to have better option than this.

Sadly, I’m not sure that I do.  Lost AB, Hogan to be inactive again, had to bench Cobb after the Rodgers fiasco.  So for me it’s Godwin, Byrd or Wright.

In his two games as the WR2 (Evans suspension and Jackson injury last week) he put up 8.5 points twice in my 1/2 PPR league.  I’d take that out of my WR3 this week.   With Jackson and Howard out, vulnerable Carolina pass D and what is likely to be a pass heavy game plan, I don’t think that he’s a bad desperation play....as long as Winston has enough time to throw.

This has been a bad year for fantasy WRs.  How do Thielan and Wallace owners feel today?  Those two were theoretically no brainer starts over Godwin and I wouldn’t be surprised if Godwin outscores both of them this week.  

1 hour ago, Patsgofor6 said:

Sadly, I’m not sure that I do.  Lost AB, Hogan to be inactive again, had to bench Cobb after the Rodgers fiasco.  So for me it’s Godwin, Byrd or Wright.

In his two games as the WR2 (Evans suspension and Jackson injury last week) he put up 8.5 points twice in my 1/2 PPR league.  I’d take that out of my WR3 this week.   With Jackson and Howard out, vulnerable Carolina pass D and what is likely to be a pass heavy game plan, I don’t think that he’s a bad desperation play....as long as Winston has enough time to throw.

This has been a bad year for fantasy WRs.  How do Thielan and Wallace owners feel today?  Those two were theoretically no brainer starts over Godwin and I wouldn’t be surprised if Godwin outscores both of them this week.  

I started Wallace and from my worst player on my team that I didn't expect a blowout performance from I'll take the 6 points in standard. Godwin may get one point. Wallace and theilen were still the right starts it's just not going to work out every time.

13 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

I started Wallace and from my worst player on my team that I didn't expect a blowout performance from I'll take the 6 points in standard. Godwin may get one point. Wallace and theilen were still the right starts it's just not going to work out every time.

Thats my point....WR has been unpredictable this season.  I’m not sure that most teams that started Wallace would agree in a matchup vs Colts.   Going with your gut and hoping for some luck is all you can do with WR dart throws. 

I started this guy in my championship and was rewarded. This guy has talent i think he def has some keeper appeal also with an aging desean jackson he could be an interesting play for next year

On 12/24/2017 at 5:10 PM, thecaptain said:

I started this guy in my championship and was rewarded. This guy has talent i think he def has some keeper appeal also with an aging desean jackson he could be an interesting play for next year

Did the same as a desperation play with Hunter Henry out and I had no real other options, and as long as Agholor doesn't go off for 10+ points I'll win 

You think he is keeper worthy- my league is a dynasty but we don't have to keep everyone and get better picks the less guys we keep. At this point I'll probably keep him still but I haven't actually watched him play