RenegadeGM

August Closer Thread 2017

It's Pasta Time!

Chapman in one run down and not looking too good.  Allowed a double steal by not even paying attention to the runners.  JBJ hits a single driving in the two runs.  Chapman didn't back-up the catcher and JBJ goes to 2B.  All this with no one out so far. 

Girardi came out with a translator looking like he was giving Chapman what for and wanting to make sure his message got through for sure with the translator.

Yeah.  This guy has middle innings on him.

Just now, urban2014 said:

Chapman probably lost the job there 

I have no shares, but I doubt it. Got thrown in while they were down a run. Probably just to get work

Girardi should issue a message after this one - you're in a middle-innings role now, bub.  Try not to somersault if you allow a clean one.

On 8/18/2017 at 11:16 PM, street sharks said:

I have no shares, but I doubt it. Got thrown in while they were down a run. Probably just to get work

No it wasn't to "get work."  One run down in the 8th in a close Yankees-Red Sox donnybrook isn't just to "get work".  It more like life and death.  Hold it down one run until your guys have a chance in the 9th.  It is because it is that important a game that you bring your closer in.  Losing is a 2 game slide in the standings and the Yankees really really needed this game.

Chapman was mentally checked out.  Eck said on the Boston broadcast that he was pretty sure that the Yankees were really upset at Chapman at this point.

The Red Sox broadcast sometimes shows stuff at the ball park in between innings while 3/4 of the screen shows commercials.  Probably a ploy to get fans to watch same because everyone wants to see a pitcher warm-up between innings, right (yawn). 

But this time they kept one of the cameras on Chapman the whole time.  He moved in slow motion to the dugout like he didn't want to return there.  No one gave him the usual sympathetic fanny pat "you'll get them next game" type of stuff.  Everyone in the Yankee dugout totally ignored him and even turned away from him as he went off to sit alone.  Yeah I think his teammates weren't feeling it for him tonight for sure.

BMcP and me might root for opposing teams here but I feel for him and all Yankee fans having to deal with a mental midget like Chapman acted like tonight.  The Yankees have a fine tradition and acting like that on the mound is NOT part of it.

Thanks, Big Bat - I really appreciated your response - as well as your continued observations and analysis.

Let's say a change is made at least for the time being in NYY.  Maybe Robertson is the better bet for saves than Betances due to his ability to control the running game?

9 hours ago, street sharks said:

It that point it's gotta be Lyons right, assuming they don't give Oh the next shot?

Wondering the same thing.  My thoughts are as follows though:

1.  He's clearly been the best guy in that pen for weeks now.

2.  However, he'a a lefty and his stuff doesn't profile a "closer stuff".

3.  Managers LOVE guys who have closer experience.  It's like 1980's NBA recycling head coaches.

4.  I think he still may be a potential starter next year and beyond.

sooooo...

Oh probably gets the gig for the time being and maybe beyond.  I'm in an 11 team NL only so I'm not quite dropping him yet.

Lasagna with xtra cheese starts to get creative while his team is in the WC hunt. Overthinking at its finest could have cost the team a win, These are the situations when they say managers don't really win you any games but they sure do lose a few

5 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

I think Girardi would just go to Betances without much thought.

I would have to totally disagree. What are you basing that on or is it just your opinion. Betances is one of or even the best setup guy in the game. Why would you move him especially when you have Robertson now?

Yeah. It's my opinion.

But it's a fact that's what Girardi has done all year up to this point, including this past Thursday, when Betances got the save. He probably would have also done it Wednesday, when Robertson got a save, except that Betances was unavailable Wednesday, which is another fact.

Wow, the Sciosciapath taking it to another level.

From Closer Monkey:

Cam Bedrosian looked like he could leave the committee behind earlier this week, but last night he was brought out to protect a two-run lead...in the sixth inning...against the bottom of the Orioles order. He pitched a clean inning, as did Blake Parker in the seventh. Yusmeiro Petit took the eighth and started the ninth, but when he put two men on, Keynan Middleton came out to try to convert the save. He gave up a single and then a walkoff grand slam (the third the Angels have given up this month!) to take the loss. The bullpen was well-rested, so these were managerial decisions; Mike Scioscia said after the game that he was trying to play matchups, an interesting decision given that anyone who bats in the sixth is all but guaranteed a later at bat (barring a pinch hitter of course, don't @ me please). Bedrosian is still the best option for this team, although he won't be pitching back-to-back. If you must own one Angel reliever, make it Bedrosian, and hope that Scioscia remembers the lineup turns over every three innings.

I didn't realize how garbage-tier my closers have been all year until I just looked at who has all recorded a save for me lol

CNpzgJQ.png

I'm only a few saves out of being in 3rd place for saves so my "no early closers" draft strategy hasn't worked too terribly