Rotoworld.com Forums

August Closer Thread 2017

went for Lyons and Familia in ESPN.  I think once Lyons gets a SV facing a L/R mix in the 9th, he will be the guy.  This Beebaa guy looks good also and he might be next up after Lyons should the latter fall off or need a breather.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, STLSU said:

went for Lyons and Familia in ESPN.  I think once Lyons gets a SV facing a L/R mix in the 9th, he will be the guy.  This Beebaa guy looks good also and he might be next up after Lyons should the latter fall off or need a breather.

Why not Oh?  He got the last save op and converted.

35 minutes ago, herschel said:

Why not Oh?  He got the last save op and converted.

Matheny has complained of Oh's lack of success against LHs this year

I think you guys may be looking too closely at the numbers. Last year, Rosie's numbers were nightmarish before Matheny finally switched to Oh. I mean like some of the worst in the league, 1.50+ WHIP iirc.

Given that, I think Oh will need to blow at least one or two saves before anyone else will even sniff at a chance. Lyons does seem to be that guy though, much more than Brebbia, who doesn't have near as many high leverage appearances.

Besides Familia, Minaya looks to be about as good of a closer as you can hope to find around this team of the season. I know they come in bunches sometimes but 3 saves in 3 days. He's clearly the guy and his ratios are no worse than Rodney's.

20 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

Besides Familia, Minaya looks to be about as good of a closer as you can hope to find around this team of the season. I know they come in bunches sometimes but 3 saves in 3 days. He's clearly the guy and his ratios are no worse than Rodney's.

That's a fair point. If you need Minaya you need him. But Rodney's damage was mostly done back in April, which is ancient history as far as closers go.

14 minutes ago, Michael Bluth said:

Lol not an endorsement I ever thought I'd hear

Lol I know. But it's nearly September. If you are still invested at this point that means you are still contending. Highly unlikely a guy like Rivero is going to pop up again so if you need saves you have to take what you can get.

I think Melancon will get saves.  He's pitching very well, in pain, really putting team first in a losing, set-the-tone for next year situation.  I think he'll be rewarded.  Also, he pitched consecutive days which I always thought was going to be his main obstacle to the role.

• JFS179 locked this topic