Rotoworld.com Forums

August Closer Thread 2017

1 minute ago, thefamily79 said:

I think Melancon will get saves.  He's pitching very well, in pain, really putting team first in a losing, set-the-tone for next year situation.  I think he'll be rewarded.  Also, he pitched consecutive days which I always thought was going to be his main obstacle to the role.

Meh, he should be more than healthy enough to close at this point. If he's not closing it's because they're waiting for Dyson to falter. I'll be convinced that Dyson has a short leash until I see otherwise, but it looks like he's the guy at the moment.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, thefamily79 said:

I think Melancon will get saves.  He's pitching very well, in pain, really putting team first in a losing, set-the-tone for next year situation.  I think he'll be rewarded.  Also, he pitched consecutive days which I always thought was going to be his main obstacle to the role.

And I thought per a link a few pages back that Melancon and the Giants are discussing season ending surgery and SF saying they didn't want to risk Melancon in the short term -- because why at this point -- so they have to see what is best for him to be healthy for next year.

7 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

And I thought per a link a few pages back that Melancon and the Giants are discussing season ending surgery and SF saying they didn't want to risk Melancon in the short term -- because why at this point -- so they have to see what is best for him to be healthy for next year.

We'll he pitched the 8th yesterday. I think that if he doesn't opt to have the surgery then he'll get the job back soon

Seems to be an abundance of bad closers that became available this past month. With playoffs looming (and potentially a lot if desperate add/drops) do any of them stick out as more than just cheap saves/potential blowup candidates? 

eg Trienan, Belisle, Ziegler, Minaya, Oh...whatever the hell is going on in LA. 

Edited by Baur10
1 hour ago, Baur10 said:

Seems to be an abundance of bad closers that became available this past month. With playoffs looming (and potentially a lot if desperate add/drops) do any of them stick out as more than just cheap saves/potential blowup candidates? 

I think I like Treinen the best of that bunch. He at least throws gas and has been mostly good since the trade.

And I scooped up Minaya so I guess I have to like him too. The heavy usage suggests he is definitely the guy. The other situations, besides Belisle, are less clear.

Ziggy is the guy until he isn't I guess, but I think Bear Claw will take over at some point.

Herrera's last pitch was a fastball that came in at 91, trainer and manager came out to look at him and quickly taken out of the game. Maybe an arm injury here?

Who is next in line in KC in case it's something serious?

2 minutes ago, dsd10988 said:

Herrera's last pitch was a fastball that came in at 91, trainer and manager came out to look at him and quickly taken out of the game. Maybe an arm injury here?

Would be Soria but he's on the DL.

7 minutes ago, dsd10988 said:

Soria and Feliz on the DL.  Sooooo Maurer? Maybe Minor? Woof...

45 minutes ago, TexasBlueMoon said:

Maurer the likely closer according to Closermonkey

It's like seeing a free sofa on the side of the road. Tempting but nah, I'm good.

7 hours ago, lipitorkid said:

As far as KC goes- Maurer might be the guy, but I'd pick up Minor and Buchter, before I picked up Alexander. 

If you like loading up your roster with long shots for closer cause life is an adventure. 

Regarding Maurer... Do you think he would pitch better if he were less trashy looking? I think there could be a direct correlation between hygiene and performance. I mean look at this ugly MFer...

Image result for brandon maurer

21 hours ago, Baur10 said:

I like Ziegler.  He just quietly gets it done year in and year out whether as a  closer or a set-up guy.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • JFS179 locked this topic