Rotoworld.com Forums

August Closer Thread 2017

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, dropkick23 said:

Is anyone keeping track of how many times the astros have scored garbage runs in the 8th or 9th inning to prevent giles from getting a save opp?  It has to be a ML record....

Ken Giles was unavailable to pitch in Wednesday's win over the Nationals due to a stiff neck.

Giles woke up a little balky on Wednesday, hence why he was not an option in the victory. He should be considered day-to-day moving forward. The closer believes that he will be ready to go on Thursday.
2 hours ago, street sharks said:

Gotta be McGee right?

Was Ottavino but hes been horrible.

Probably McGee. 

Hey, if Doolittle can do it, why not McGee. They were both awesome couple years ago, though closed for a very short time.

7 hours ago, WaKe21334 said:

Except you're  shouting out opinions as facts. The fact remains that oh has been given the save opportunities.

as for matheny seeing it , why was he up for the save in the first game sans rosy and then brought in the next night in a major jam to record the save? Sounds like someone the manager trusts.

I wasn't throwing out opinions as facts, I was pointing out what was happening for those who weren't watching and providing my thoughts.

And what happened a few days ago really isn't as important as what happened last night because they just found out that Rosie is done for this year and most of next. Now they aren't just looking for an interim closer, they are looking for a closer for the rest of season and maybe next year as well. The fact that Oh came in with a 5 run lead in the top of the 8th suggests that he is not the primary guy. Now it could be Brebbia, who came in in the bottom of the 9th with a 5 run lead as well.

It could be a full-blown committee, but you don't use a true closer in the top of the eighth inning with a five-run lead.

Edited by bradwatson

Well, Oh hadn't pitched since the 18th and a pinch hitter + top of the order were due up. So it wasn't completely random. Matheny may have even been hoping for 2 IP out of Oh when he brought him on. 

9 hours ago, WaKe21334 said:

Is there talk in holland being replaced? I know he has been terrible lately.

http://m.rockies.mlb.com/news/article/250189386/rockies-confident-in-greg-holland-despite-woes/

The dreaded "vote of confidence" from the manager.   Looks like Holland will be given at least one more shot to keep his closer role, but his leash seems to be one blown save away.

Royals manager Ned Yost said Kelvin Herrera (forearm) is "ready to go" on Thursday.

Herrera experienced tightness in his right forearm and wrist during an appearance Tuesday night against the Rockies, but he was available Wednesday and he will be available in Thursday afternoon's series finale. The 27-year-old has an underwhelming 3.97 ERA and 1.30 WHIP in 47 2/3 innings this season, but he is 26-for-29 in save opportunities.

Aug 24 - 12:21 PM

The KC closer scramble is officially over.

7 minutes ago, merlin401 said:

Lyons comes in for a tie game in the 8th inning (at home).  No idea what that, or basically anything in the Cardinal bullpen means.  But I guess its still better than the Angels clusterf***

Yea no telling with them. I kinda think Brebbia gets the next chance.

• JFS179 locked this topic