RenegadeGM

August Closer Thread 2017

3 minutes ago, dsd10988 said:

Doolittle pitchung to start the 8th inning? 2 inning save or is someone else getting an opportunity in the 9th? 

Dusty mentioned giving kinstler a few occasional opps a week or so ago to get him to 30 saves . Expect kinstler in the 9th

49 minutes ago, afgolfman666 said:

Dusty mentioned giving kinstler a few occasional opps a week or so ago to get him to 30 saves . Expect kinstler in the 9th

Sounds like the sharp strategical mindset that we've all come to appreciate in Dusty.

What has Kintzler done to warrant these charity save ops? Guy is a journeyman who's been on your roster for 2 minutes. Now you're borderline throwing games and screwing with Doolittle who has been flat out dominant. 

This is a good strategy heading into the playoffs, really? 

What a terrible decision to pitch Doolittle in the 8th! The guy hasn't blown a save since he's been with Washington and now dusty decides to get cute. Stick with you guns man! Wtf

As a Doolittle and Strasburg owner...not my favorite management decision 

Scosciapath strikes again.  Brings in Bud Norris in the 8th inning of a game they are losing 3-0.  He loves trolling us all.   

I was not home tonight to watch the Padres Cardinals game. Anyone want to give their thoughts on the Cardinals situation besides what I can see in the boxscore, cause it looks like 9 different types of crazy.

18 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

Scosciapath strikes again.  Brings in Bud Norris in the 8th inning of a game they are losing 3-0.  He loves trolling us all.   

The 'Path is like a genius medieval mathematician who believes if he can only play every single possible bullpen permutation, he will see the face of God

1 hour ago, dod959 said:

What has Kintzler done to warrant these charity save ops? Guy is a journeyman who's been on your roster for 2 minutes. Now you're borderline throwing games and screwing with Doolittle who has been flat out dominant. 

This is a good strategy heading into the playoffs, really? 

Dumb as f...

1 hour ago, radioflyer9 said:

What a terrible decision to pitch Doolittle in the 8th! The guy hasn't blown a save since he's been with Washington and now dusty decides to get cute. Stick with you guns man! Wtf

Haven't been in this thread yet this month.   Just had to post after seeing that garbage by Dusty.

I actually needed a hold more than a save, so thanks Dusty! But yeah, letting a guy close simply so he can get to a round number of saves is kind of insane.

4 hours ago, lipitorkid said:

I was not home tonight to watch the Padres Cardinals game. Anyone want to give their thoughts on the Cardinals situation besides what I can see in the boxscore, cause it looks like 9 different types of crazy.

The usual BS that keeps holding them back. Errors and horrible horrible bullpen.  CMart made a pretty costly error by throwing a GB with 1 out and bases loaded over yadi head. Bullpen takes the loss again late in a tied game.  It was really the same narrative as all season.  They should of let Martinez throw 150+ pitches because not one person comes in from the pen and i feel confident. 

You didn't miss anything really

Edited by zstlj

About a week ago, it was reported that Dusty Baker was just trying to help Brandon Kintzler reach 30 saves and that he would be working him in here & there to try to reach that goal so this is not really a big deal at this point. He will probably continue to use Doolittle once Kintzler has his 30th save locked down. I'm not a Dusty fan by any means, just sayin' ...

10 hours ago, BMcP said:

The 'Path is like a genius medieval mathematician who believes if he can only play every single possible bullpen permutation, he will see the face of God

I spent some time to figure this out, and now I know how the Angels bullpen is used.

6. When they have 6 available it is Roll the Dice, with the pictures of the players on every side. Winner takes the mound.
5. With 5 available they use a spinning wheel of fortune, with 5 names on it.
4. Call to the bullpen, to start Musical Chairs. The guy without a chair is coming in to pitch.
3. Rock paper scissors of course. (should have known)
2. The good ol' Coin toss.
1. The Jeopardy. Who is left in the bullpen?

8 minutes ago, JCD said:

I spent some time to figure this out, and now I know how the Angels bullpen is used.

6. When they have 6 available it is Roll the Dice, with the pictures of the players on every side. Winner takes the mound.
5. With 5 available they use a spinning wheel of fortune, with 5 names on it.
4. Call to the bullpen, to start Musical Chairs. The guy without a chair is coming in to pitch.
3. Rock paper scissors of course. (should have known)
2. The good ol' Coin toss.
1. The Jeopardy. Who is left in the bullpen?

Some of those are too complicated for him. I believe I once saw him pulling a name from a hat.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Dodgers situation? They win so much Jansen has been used a ton and it looks like they are trying to give him more rest leading up to the playoffs. Morrow and Stripling got saves this week while Jansen was resting, and both of them have tasty SP eligibility and solid numbers.

If this trend keeps up over the next month there could be some value there. Just 1 save in a playoff week could be the difference between winning and losing.

I think Britton may not need DL at last update.  Nothing structural.