Rotoworld.com Forums

August Closer Thread 2017

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Not much time left. 

Once the Mets acquired Ramos, I thought the writing was on the wall and said as much. Familia owners needed Familia to come back healthy, pitch well, and probably have Ramos blow a few games. And remember, when would he be able to go back to back games? So you think Mets would insert Familia back as closer, then need to go back to Ramos on occasion? 

When a team who wasn't competing for a playoff spot acquired a closer, I thought the message was clear. "Don't rush Familia back. Ease him in. Let Ramos finish as closer and get Familia back and ready for next year."

I just think they got Ramos to replace Addison Reed with after Familia got back.  They knew they were definitely going to trade away Reed.  And they probably thought they could flip Reed earlier than they did so Ramos could fill in in the meantime as well. 

I think Familia will get all the save opportunities the rest of the way because the Mets are way way out of contention and it is a good way to let Familia get into shape for next year.  You mess with his mind if they pulled him from any save opportunities the rest of the season.

Now if they had "eased" Familia back in like most teams do when a closer returns then Ramos could have remained the closer for another week.  But they are the Mets and they screw up their pitching staff one way or the other it seems.  So now with Familia closing it would suddenly yank him from his role with no reason to do so on a team finished for the season and sends the wrong message to him and messes him up further.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
7 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Now if they had "eased" Familia back in like most teams do when a closer returns then Ramos could have remained the closer for another week.  But they are the Mets and they screw up their pitching staff one way or the other it seems.  So now with Familia closing it would suddenly yank him from his role with no reason to do so on a team finished for the season and sends the wrong message to him and messes him up further.

I think you're confused. Yesterday wasn't a save opp for Familia. They were easing him in. They were down 6-4 in the 8th when Familia was brought in. 4 hits, 2 BB, & 3 runs later it was 9-4.

Whether he keeps the job or not, I think Holland is a very serious drop candidate for anyone going into a h2h fantasy playoff this week or next. 

You really don't want one guy to ruin an otherwise winning pitching line. 

5 minutes ago, radioflyer9 said:

I picked up Lyons for the Cardinals. He's been lights out for them and he pitched in the 9th last night in a tied game. Usually the closers spot. 

Seems pretty clear that Oh is the closer.

17 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Can he pitch back to back days yet? Is he going to pitch well enough to displace a proven closer? 

There's 5 weeks left in the season. If you consider there's 26 weeks in a season, good closers get what, 1 1/2 saves/week (39 for a year). This means it's very likely the Mets get 8-10 saves ROS. I don't think it's likely as of today that Familia gets even half of those, do you? 

I would say it's likely. It's debatable. But that's not really my point. It seems to me that you thought Familia wouldn't close when he came back and are using this game to confirm it. I certainly don't think 1 terrible game after a major injury has doomed him. 

1 hour ago, IDGAFOS said:

Except for the fact that his last appearance was in a 6-0 game in the 8th inning.  And he didn't record an out, giving way to Tyler Lyons.

Edited by Beakman
33 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

I would say it's likely. It's debatable. But that's not really my point. It seems to me that you thought Familia wouldn't close when he came back and are using this game to confirm it. I certainly don't think 1 terrible game after a major injury has doomed him. 

My point was that he needed like 3 or 4 things to happen for him to close, one of which was to be effective upon return. With 5 weeks left, that outing pushed back any potential saves even further. ??‍♂️

30 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

My point was that he needed like 3 or 4 things to happen for him to close, one of which was to be effective upon return. With 5 weeks left, that outing pushed back any potential saves even further. ??‍♂️

I think that your outlook on his situation is very rational and reasonable but I don't agree with it, and while I agree that he needs to be effective, I don't think 1 bad game, especially given his situation, ticks that off your list. We'll see though, very possible you're right. 

3 hours ago, IDGAFOS said:

2 hours ago, Beakman said:

Except for the fact that his last appearance was in a 6-0 game in the 8th inning.  And he didn't record an out, giving way to Tyler Lyons.

And Lyons was most recently used in the Top of the 9th in a tie game at home...

Brach with a save. O's announcers updated that Britton's knee is still bothering him.  Apparently it's not bad enough for him to go on the DL but still bothering him enough that he's not ready to come into games.  Makes for a difficult decision for weekly leaguers that may have been relying on the O's bullpen for saves.

• JFS179 locked this topic