RenegadeGM

August Closer Thread 2017

Cam Bedrosian pitches the seventh and Blake Parker comes on for a flawless four-out save.  It's looking like Parker's the primary guy in the Angels pen...

2 minutes ago, Sun Tzu said:

Cam Bedrosian pitches the seventh and Blake Parker comes on for a flawless four-out save.  It's looking like Parker's the primary guy in the Angels pen...

Ya Parker looked good and has been strong overall this season. It should be his job to lose at this point. 

1 minute ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Rivero

sand bagged by Hurdle big time

had no business pitching in that game

Seriously! At first thought it was a rare blown save and then saw the score and was shocked that he pitched in a blowout.

Just now, HaloFanatic17 said:

Seriously! At first thought it was a rare blown save and then saw the score and was shocked that he pitched in a blowout.

going to a position player made even more sense

closers have enough time getting amped up in non save spots when their team is blowing someone out

getting blown out it's even worse

33 minutes ago, herschel said:

Safe to drop Oh?

I would say so. Lyons was warming for the ninth in case the Cards went ahead today. Oh's been getting used earlier. Hard to be sure, but if I owned Oh and another need came up on the wire, he'd be the one to go.

Nicasio claimed by PHI. Anyone thinking he sees saves in September?

Just now, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Yep, Minaya sucks. Blown save and the loss. 

Belisle sucks too but at least he got a W.

I suspect Minaya will get another shot, Farquhar is probably next in line. I wouldn't touch either guy, to be honest.

22 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

Diaz DTD w back spasms

Too bad they also got Phelps re-injured...

3 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Yep, Minaya sucks. Blown save and the loss. 

just hoping somehow Lyons is there on Sunday still.  There's really no one else.  I don't see any other candidate put in the CWS role.  Their manager thinks he's a big time diamond.

45 minutes ago, STLSU said:

just hoping somehow Lyons is there on Sunday still.  There's really no one else.  I don't see any other candidate put in the CWS role.  Their manager thinks he's a big time diamond.

Can you be more specific? I don't know anything about Minaya except I stumbled into him on the waiver wire somehow.

1 minute ago, the real donny baseball said:

Can you be more specific? I don't know anything about Minaya except I stumbled into him on the waiver wire somehow.

Minaya has no challengers to his role.  And also Renteria said that about Minaya.

Lyons just pitched the 8th in a road game the Cardinals were winning 5-1 to face the 1-2-3 Giants hitters (2 lefties and a switch hitter) and Brebbia in to pitch the 9th (Posey-Crawford-Pence -- arguably the "better" part of the order).  I know most in here were thinking Lyons was the favorite for Cards saves, but wouldn't the manager want to save him for the 9th if he was truly the closer (and yes, I know it wasn't technically a save situation up 4)?  We all know Matheny is one of those managers that thinks he's smarter than everyone else, but seems to look like Matheny is going to play lefty-righty end-game matchups more than we think.  Does this push Brebbia back to the front of the prospective closer hunt for us save chasers?     What say you, Closer Forum readers?

Matheny was actually warming Lyons for the 8th when it was a 3 run lead. But Brebbia has come in and is getting touched up.