dabeesta17

Orleans Darkwa 2017 Season Outlook

Recommended Posts

Some leagues are so deep that any RB with the starting job has value. And many without it do too. That's why blanket statements about value are just kinda foolish at worst, cool stories at best. 

Edited by Fiveohnine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Some leagues are so deep that any RB with the starting job has value. And many without it do too. That's why blanket statements about value are just kinda foolish at worst, cool stories at best. 

 

Here's my cool story buried on the last page:

 

Quote

Giants fan here. Darkwa does look to be better than Perkins and may be taking over as the lead back but........ regardless, I would want no parts of any Giants running back. The O-line is atrocious. Every time the ball is handed off as a fan I'm hoping he/Perkins gets back to the line of scrimmage, and a 3 yard gain is a total win. I would guess that if Orleans takes over, he may have three of four 10+ point games all year, MAX. 

 

Just simply, no Giants running back will provide worthwhile value whatsoever (besides maybe Vereen in a deep PPR). This offense is looking remarkable similar to the ineptitude that we saw last year, and that got them to the 32nd ranked run offense with a pathetic team rushing of 48.5 yards/game. I'd highly suggest taking a shot (any shot) elsewhere, before you drop Darkwa in regret 2-4 weeks from now.

 

I hear you that in deep enough leagues there may be a little value, but probably wouldn't hurt to clarify in your post how deep of a league you're referencing because as far as I'm concerned there is minimal value in a 14 team league or less (which I'm sure the very vast majority of this forum is interested in). I've at least provided an argument on my end, all you have managed to do is delete a post that mine (hence ^) was referring to.

Edited by strahanfan92

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You post gave actual info about the Giants, which is the opposite of CSB. 

 

But we should keep in mind that this year standard, free leagues on ESPN go up to 20 now. 

 

I dont play in one but it's obviously going to affect the already diverse ppr, standard, deep, shallow etc. range of viewpoints in ffb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

You post gave actual info about the Giants, which is the opposite of CSB. 

 

But we should keep in mind that this year standard, free leagues on ESPN go up to 20 now. 

 

I dont play in one but it's obviously going to affect the already diverse ppr, standard, deep, shallow etc. range of viewpoints in ffb. 

 

I just think that you are likely in the vast minority that you should be the one using qualifiers i.e. "16 team league", or "deep league lucky week fill in", because that's all he is. Not sure what CSB means (new here) but the Giants info is pertinent. The run game is so garbage behind the awful O-line that not even 2016 David Johnson would be able to overcome it, let alone talent void Paul Perkins/Orleans Darkwa. Like I said, Orleans will provide 3-4 games of 10+ fantasy points over the whole season, just want to make sure people are aware of that before jumping in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trust me, I doubt you'll find anyone who thinks the Giants are a bunch of world beaters and who expect Darkwa to run wild ROS. But it's possible this is a situation that you should jump on early in deep leagues if he's about to take the bulk of snaps/carries away from Perkins. 

 

CSB=Cool Story Bro 

Edited by Fiveohnine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deep league, Pick up a Darkwa and cut a Burkhead type.

Me happy.

 

Look the Giants probably won't stay this bad forever.

And it's not like their passing game is amazing, they've got OBJ, Sterling Shepard is not really relevant, Brandon Marshall has been terrible so far. Engram seems ok but he's a rookie.

 

If it's a true 1/3 split all around then he's only relevant in deep leagues. If he gets around 50-60% or so of the rb touches and the Giants find their rhythm then he's a flex play. There are a million speculative WW adds in fantasy. Some pan out, some don't. In almost every case they don't cost you anything but your waiver order. You pick the speculative add up, stash him, and hope for the best. This is fantasy 101 no idea why you guys are arguing about the size of the league he could possibly be relevant in in the future, there are only about a zillion variables at play and none of us have more info than the other

Edited by Anteater99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand how a potential starting runningback for an NFL team isn't bench spot worthy in any format. I know the Giants are a mess and saying Darkwa has looked the best among their backs is like drooling over the prettiest fat girl but he has good measurables and has made the most of the very scant opportunities he's been given.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, strahanfan92 said:

 

I just think that you are likely in the vast minority that you should be the one using qualifiers i.e. "16 team league", or "deep league lucky week fill in", because that's all he is. 

 

Have you seen the threads around here. So many on obscure (hopefully) hidden gem players. I'm not sure if people in deep leagues are in the minority. Is it even necessary to do this type of research if you're in a shallow league and Ameer Abdullah is your RB5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

I don't understand how a potential starting runningback for an NFL team isn't bench spot worthy in any format. I know the Giants are a mess and saying Darkwa has looked the best among their backs is like drooling over the prettiest fat girl but he has good measurables and has made the most of the very scant opportunities he's been given.

 

Teams that are 0-2 need a slump buster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, owenmills said:

 

Have you seen the threads around here. So many on obscure (hopefully) hidden gem players. I'm not sure if people in deep leagues are in the minority. Is it even necessary to do this type of research if you're in a shallow league and Ameer Abdullah is your RB5

 

I am in a 12 teamer, my RB's are Fournette, Hunt, Gurley, Henry, Mixon and Perine. I am a RB whore and if possible I want to take any potential starting RB away from every other team in my league, even at the expense of my WR bench. If Darkwa is JAG then fine, but if there is more to him I am interested in buying well before everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's basically in the same position Chris Carson is in in Seattle. Horrid at best offensive line but every opportunity to be the lead back because of horrid replacement level competition at his position. Chris Carson has a bajillion page thread on here. Paul Perkins is trash, it's inevitable that Darkwa gets his turn to show what he can do at some point. Unless they skip him and go with Wayne Gallman, which wouldn't surprise me with this coaching staff but still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

I don't understand how a potential starting runningback for an NFL team isn't bench spot worthy in any format.

 

Smallwood is on the wavier wire in both my leagues,

hoping Darkwa provides more value than him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Lord Darkwa, good job on this one @dabeesta17 you were on this early.

 

It doesn't really matter unless they give him a real chance to succeed, meaning 15+ carries in a game. The Giants O-line (especially Flowers) sucks, but they get extra motivated when Darkwa is in the game. Every play Darkwa gets tackled, 3-4 of the linemen are over there to help him up and dust him off, seemingly appreciative of his effort. I never see that when Perkins carries the ball.

 

Its almost like McAdoo doesn't want Darkwa to succeed though. Last week he broke an 11-yard run and the Giants called three straight pass plays thereafter (two were sacks). In Week 1, Darkwa broke a 12-yard run. The Giants passed the ball NINE straight times after that.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of talk about how awesome Darkwa is and I don't necessarily disagree....BUT...what do you think the coaching staff sees that we don't?

If Perkins is such a JAG and Darkwa is so dynamic how does Perkins win the job?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, wendellrott said:

 

Smallwood is on the wavier wire in both my leagues,

hoping Darkwa provides more value than him

 

The Eagles don't want to run the ball, Sproles is the only rb on that team worth rostering

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BrokeLoser said:

Lots of talk about how awesome Darkwa is and I don't necessarily disagree....BUT...what do you think the coaching staff sees that we don't?

If Perkins is such a JAG and Darkwa is so dynamic how does Perkins win the job?

 

I don't think anyone would use the terms dynamic or awesome to describe Darkwa. He's a proverbial lunch pail, hard-hat guy; an effort guy. Those characteristics offer far more than the nothing Perkins offers though. Perkins never won the job. McAdoo gave him the job in May before any practice reps were even taken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BrokeLoser said:

Lots of talk about how awesome Darkwa is and I don't necessarily disagree....BUT...what do you think the coaching staff sees that we don't?

If Perkins is such a JAG and Darkwa is so dynamic how does Perkins win the job?


Draft capital. It's why Andre Williams got so much burn when it was obvious after the first game that he was hot garbage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BrokeLoser said:

Lots of talk about how awesome Darkwa is and I don't necessarily disagree....BUT...what do you think the coaching staff sees that we don't?

If Perkins is such a JAG and Darkwa is so dynamic how does Perkins win the job?

 

If you're on a fantasy forum, then I'm pretty sure you know that there are s---y coaching staffs out there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ceiling is so low. I'm telling you guys that if you are expecting Orleans to be valuable your crazy, even in deep leagues. The Giants run game is awful in so many ways. Don't waste your time, this is the wrong dart throw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, strahanfan92 said:

Ceiling is so low. I'm telling you guys that if you are expecting Orleans to be valuable your crazy, even in deep leagues. The Giants run game is awful in so many ways. Don't waste your time, this is the wrong dart throw.

 

Then whats' the right dart throw that's currently available?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dabeesta17 said:

 

I don't think anyone would use the terms dynamic or awesome to describe Darkwa. He's a proverbial lunch pail, hard-hat guy; an effort guy. Those characteristics offer far more than the nothing Perkins offers though. Perkins never won the job. McAdoo gave him the job in May before any practice reps were even taken.

 

3 minutes ago, Jason497 said:


Draft capital. It's why Andre Williams got so much burn when it was obvious after the first game that he was hot garbage. 

 

2 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

 

If you're on a fantasy forum, then I'm pretty sure you know that there are s---y coaching staffs out there. 

 

Trust me, I hear what you guys are saying but logically speaking doesn't it seem awfully naive to believe that us weekend warriors who see 6-10 touches per week from Darkwa, and read a few editorials can somehow be more enlightened than the trained, professional coaching staff that sees the two (Perkins & Darkwa) working side by side for hours a day?

Coaches get paid to win games, they keep their gigs because they win games....they don't stay around long if they're playing their worse players ahead of their better players.

Perkins is JAG trash...no doubt...but is Darkwa really better? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's certainly plausible that coaching ego comes into play, they think they can fix a guy who sucks...or they don't want to admit a mistake. If they fell in love with the kid's athleticism enough to draft him, perhaps they put the rose colored glasses on and make excuses or think he just needs more experience. Some guys get pigeonholed into a role. "Just a scatback" or "Just a special teamer." It's also hard to really simulate how RBs are going to play without the pads on, they barely get to have any contact anymore in practices thanks to the CBA. Orleans Darkwa isn't a special athlete but he looks like a real solid powerback, which might not jump out at a coach during the underwear olympics.

Scrubs like Christine Michael look like studs in the underwear olympics for instance and get 895648756438 chances because naive coaches think they can turn an athlete into an NFL player.

Edited by Jason497

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BrokeLoser said:

 

 

 

Trust me, I hear what you guys are saying but logically speaking doesn't it seem awfully naive to believe that us weekend warriors who see 6-10 touches per week from Darkwa, and read a few editorials can somehow be more enlightened than the trained, professional coaching staff that sees the two (Perkins & Darkwa) working side by side for hours a day?

Coaches get paid to win games, they keep their gigs because they win games....they don't stay around long if they're playing their worse players ahead of their better players.

Perkins is JAG trash...no doubt...but is Darkwa really better? 

 

It happens all the time though. Someone is named starter and is ineffective and then next man up does great. I can't explain it but I've seen it happen so many times over the years playing fantasy football. Look at Ajayi. He looks amazing now, why was he buried in the depth chart for so long? Why did the coaches not see the talent discrepancy? Even last year he was stuck in an ugly RBBC for the first month of the season. The coaches saw them every day yet chose to not feature him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know 2015 Ajayi was a rookie behind Lamar Miller. But last year, cmon, you really saw these guys in practice and chose to give other stiffs the ball over him for the first month of the season. Maybe it's just not as easy as it seems for the coaches to figure out who's better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.