Michael Bluth

Dominic Smith 2017 Outlook

22 minutes ago, neljak25 said:

More upside, him or Rhys Hoskins?

I think Hoskins, and not that close really. Smith is a couple of years younger for those in keepers, but Hoskins has led the minors in home runs over the past 2 years while having great discipline and a reduced K rate in AAA this year. Smith has shown no power until 16hr in Las Vegas / PCL this year. They're both good hitters, I just don't see Smith's skill set at 1B being super fantasy friendly.

Snagged two weeks ago and deploying right away as I've been struck with injuries in the middle of a playoff race.

Hope this kid can hit right away. Contreras out 4-6 weeks. 

Mine is in Dynasty. Grabbed em both but running out of streaming spots for pitching and my trade deadline is tomorrow. Need Hoskins to get OF eligibility. 

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The next Bellinger - watch Smith take off while Hoskins flops! 

What are you basing this on...other than you owning Smith and not Hoskins?

2 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

What are you basing this on...other than you owning Smith and not Hoskins?

Oh, I see what you did there. I am basing this on stats!

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

You do realize that Hoskins has a MUCH more impression minor league resume, right?

1 hour ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

You do realize that Hoskins has a MUCH more impression minor league resume, right?

Hoskins is a bum! D. Smith is the real deal! Too bad you missed out on this HUGE upside!

1 hour ago, Olliemets said:

I've always thought his big-league comp was Josh Bell.

are we so lazy as to compare one rookie with another well established rookie now?

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Nice, his first at bat and it's a home run, I hope this is a sign of things to come!

Huh?

5 hours ago, placeholder said:

So stop trolling and explain your position based on these stats you have. Lay them out for us and discuss. Stop with all the other BS you've vomited on this board already, and present your case. 

11 hours ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

impressive? :P

On August 10, 2017 at 6:48 PM, tywalson said:

I think Hoskins, and not that close really. Smith is a couple of years younger for those in keepers, but Hoskins has led the minors in home runs over the past 2 years while having great discipline and a reduced K rate in AAA this year. Smith has shown no power until 16hr in Las Vegas / PCL this year. They're both good hitters, I just don't see Smith's skill set at 1B being super fantasy friendly.

I totally get preferring one over the other, but to say it's not that close is a bit of an overstatement considering just about every reputable prospect ranking site (Baseball America, MLB, etc.) has Smith rated higher. Just this past March Fangraphs did a composite of the top prospect rankings that put Smith at 70 and Hoskins at 194. Plenty has happened since then, and I'm sure there are varying opinions on upside and who's the better fantasy bet in the long run, but it most certainly IS close.

Edited by jnormy

I mean really, is this guy 22 or 41?