Sign in to follow this  
TX Babe Ruth

Mitchell Trubisky 2017 Season Outlook

I think it's time to move on this guy in 2QB leagues. Especially if you're in any form of keeper/dynasty (where he should already be owned). 

Glennon was positively dreadful last week, and Trubisky looked good enough in the preseason that he'd probably be an immediate upgrade. The fan base in Chicago seems pretty vocal that they'd rather see Trubisky if they're going to have another lost season anyway....

I think he will end up battling Patrick Mahomes for the best QB from this draft class, but I fully expect Trubisky to see the field sooner. 

21 hours ago, mjb03003 said:

I think it's time to move on this guy in 2QB leagues. Especially if you're in any form of keeper/dynasty (where he should already be owned). 

Glennon was positively dreadful last week, and Trubisky looked good enough in the preseason that he'd probably be an immediate upgrade. The fan base in Chicago seems pretty vocal that they'd rather see Trubisky if they're going to have another lost season anyway....

I think he will end up battling Patrick Mahomes for the best QB from this draft class, but I fully expect Trubisky to see the field sooner. 

Definitely worth a stash in 2QB Keeper/Dynasty if he isn't already. With that being said, I firmly believe that Trubisky will not be playing the near future for a number of reasons. The Bears schedule leading up to their bye in week 9 is pretty rough excluding the Saints, but even more so, you don't have your best guy on the offensive line in Kyle Long to protect him yet. Long should be back soon, but it seems to be lingering, and could 'linger' if the Bears continue to lose. On top of that, the Bears are playing the dink and dunk game with a 5'6 181lb RB serving as their primary target, along with a trio of practice squad caliber receivers (excluding Kendall Wright).

Bears fans will be vocal about pulling Glennon even if he throws for 4 TD and 400+ yards because 'Trubisky is more mobile and would have thrown 7  and rushed for 2 more'. The reality is that Glennon led the Bears to what should have been a game winning drive in week one before the debacle in week two. The Bears are going to be bad this year, and the front office surely doesn't want to see their rookie investment taking the physical and mental abuse that will come with his playing time. The one saving grace for current or potential Trubisky owners to keep in mind is that Pace and Fox are both on the hot seat, and with Kevin White busting out, they may throw Trubisky to the wolves in an effort to save themselves.

no one plays down to the level of their competition quite like the Mike Tomlin era Stillers - if Money Mitch can see some action this week - ????

17 minutes ago, Shimmer said:

Definitely worth a stash in 2QB Keeper/Dynasty if he isn't already. With that being said, I firmly believe that Trubisky will not be playing the near future for a number of reasons. The Bears schedule leading up to their bye in week 9 is pretty rough excluding the Saints, but even more so, you don't have your best guy on the offensive line in Kyle Long to protect him yet. Long should be back soon, but it seems to be lingering, and could 'linger' if the Bears continue to lose. On top of that, the Bears are playing the dink and dunk game with a 5'6 181lb RB serving as their primary target, along with a trio of practice squad caliber receivers (excluding Kendall Wright).

Bears fans will be vocal about pulling Glennon even if he throws for 4 TD and 400+ yards because 'Trubisky is more mobile and would have thrown 7  and rushed for 2 more'. The reality is that Glennon led the Bears to what should have been a game winning drive in week one before the debacle in week two. The Bears are going to be bad this year, and the front office surely doesn't want to see their rookie investment taking the physical and mental abuse that will come with his playing time. The one saving grace for current or potential Trubisky owners to keep in mind is that Pace and Fox are both on the hot seat, and with Kevin White busting out, they may throw Trubisky to the wolves in an effort to save themselves.

Great points. I guess I don't really believe in "protecting" a young player or "saving him" for when the schedule softens up and the season is already over. 

I think most young players benefit from live game action, when there's still some outside chance of turning the season around, and before the entire team starts mailing it in. I'd argue Trubisky will be at even more risk of physical and mental abuse if he gets thrown out there when the Bears are 1-7 or 2-6 and already mailing it in. 

Are there stats kept or some type of metric used to determine if a QB has a better chance of long-term success if they get to sit a year or two before starting as opposed to starting week 1 of their rookie season?  I would be really curious to see something like that.

22 hours ago, mjb03003 said:

Agreed. Adding him to my deep benches in redraft..

The guy is the truth.

I won't forget how he carved up the Denver's defense in pre-season and the naysayers said that not all defensive starters were out there.

There were a few starters missing but nonetheless, the guy was still a 'rookie' serving them on a platter.

6 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

Great points. I guess I don't really believe in "protecting" a young player or "saving him" for when the schedule softens up and the season is already over. 

I think most young players benefit from live game action, when there's still some outside chance of turning the season around, and before the entire team starts mailing it in. I'd argue Trubisky will be at even more risk of physical and mental abuse if he gets thrown out there when the Bears are 1-7 or 2-6 and already mailing it in. 

I'm not a proponent of how careful franchises are with players either, but it seems to be a common trend across major professional sports. I'm not sure what the right decision is, but his preseason performances definitely excited Bears fans, and the fans will be expecting a lot of him.

Bears fan here - I think 2017 expectations for Trubisky need to be tempered a bit. Glennon has Fox's unwavering support and all indications are the Bears plan to start him the whole year. It's possible Tru could play towards the end of the year if (when?) the Bears are out of it, but on a team lacking a lot of offensive weapons it's hard to see strong production from him this year. 

I still love his long term prospects for dynasty, but IMO  the earliest he sees the field is after their Week 9 bye. If it was later than that or not at all this year, that wouldn't surprise me either. 

2 minutes ago, the_wolfman said:

Bears fan here - I think 2017 expectations for Trubisky need to be tempered a bit. Glennon has Fox's unwavering support and all indications are the Bears plan to start him the whole year. It's possible Tru could play towards the end of the year if (when?) the Bears are out of it, but on a team lacking a lot of offensive weapons it's hard to see strong production from him this year. 

I still love his long term prospects for dynasty, but IMO  the earliest he sees the field is after their Week 9 bye. If it was later than that or not at all this year, that wouldn't surprise me either. 

This is the key point. There's no reason to throw Trubisky out there with the top two receivers on the team named Deonte Thompson and Kendall Wright. I doubt he can do any better than Glennon with this WR group. He may add the running element from the QB position, but that also elevates injury risk in what is clearly a lost season for the Bears. They may play him in Week 16 or 17 just for the hell of it, but doubt he helps fantasy team at all in 2017.

9 minutes ago, the_wolfman said:

I would agree if Fox wasn't on the hot seat. In fact, I see Trubisky enter the starting line-up sooner rather than later if Fox wants to hold his job. There is no unwavering support, he has to justify all that money spent on a back-up QB(Glennon).

Tru has been practicing with the back-ups Wrs anyway, why not put him in there? The Bears have absolutely nothing to lose.

I already hear the rumblings from the Bears fans about benching Glennon...Fox is going to find his way out if he continues to ignore the rumbles and they keep losing. I wouldn't spend a penny to watch Glennon in the backfield. I'd rather watch a shiny new QB of the future and lose than lose with someone that's not the future.

Chicago's rolling Glennon out for the foreseeable future. Fox stands by the guy. Chicago knows its a lost year. They also know they don't have any weapons on offense to help prop Trub up right now. He's gonna sit til the last few weeks of the season at the earliest IMO

Poor Glennon- if he wasn't so hideously ugly I think more people would think highly of him. Given Glennon's receiving corps I think he's done a stand up job. Glennon could be a starter on a number of teams, he's definitely better than Eli Manning.

I am glad they didn't start Trubisky from the get go. Bears early season schedule is tough, you can't expect the guy to build confidence against Falcons, Tampa Bay, and Pittsburgh. Then bears on a short week vs Packers on a Thursday. I can really see the coaching staff giving him a full weeks of reps going into Week 7 against the Panthers, or Week 8 against Saints. Until then it's Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Minnesota, Ravens... tough run. He's worth the add for you dynasty guys for sure.

4 minutes ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

I like Glennon(nothing at all against him) but Trubisky is the better talent.

I was at the Falcon Bear game... he made me so furious. He has ZERO ability to evade pressure... his awareness isn't very good either.. gotta have that timer in your head to get the ball off. With Trubisky the playbook opens up so much more, Bootlegs and even designed QB runs.. Glennon is a statue back there with no receivers.

26 minutes ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

I would agree if Fox wasn't on the hot seat. In fact, I see Trubisky enter the starting line-up sooner rather than later if Fox wants to hold his job. There is no unwavering support, he has to justify all that money spent on a back-up QB(Glennon).

Tru has been practicing with the back-ups Wrs anyway, why not put him in there? The Bears have absolutely nothing to lose.

I already hear the rumblings from the Bears fans about benching Glennon...Fox is going to find his way out if he continues to ignore the rumbles and they keep losing. I wouldn't spend a penny to watch Glennon in the backfield. I'd rather watch a shiny new QB of the future and lose than lose with someone that's not the future.

But if they decide to put Tru in there without have a team around him to help him succeed, they risk turning him into another Joey Harrington.  I don't think anyone in the Bears organization wants that.  If I were a Bears fan, I wouldn't want them to start Tru yet.  Let him sit this year, learn the system, take it all in and then start him next year.  No reason to rush him out there just to appease fans.  

I don't think Fox is in danger of losing his job, nor Pace for that matter.  Barring a Glennon injury I don't think we see a Trubisky start until week 14 at Cincinnati.  Then you've got another away game in Detroit before you throw him to the wolves back home against Cleveland.  

4 minutes ago, dre said:

But if they decide to put Tru in there without have a team around him to help him succeed, they risk turning him into another Joey Harrington.  I don't think anyone in the Bears organization wants that.  If I were a Bears fan, I wouldn't want them to start Tru yet.  Let him sit this year, learn the system, take it all in and then start him next year.  No reason to rush him out there just to appease fans.  

This is the new age QBs that's coming out of college; there's no more old-fashioned sit and wait QB strategies. Trubisky was drafted #2 overall, when you are drafted that high in the draft you are expected to play right out the gate.

Cam, Winston, Luck, Dak, etc are all examples of getting out there and playing. I don't see why Trubisky couldn't have the same success.

Cam in his rookie season was playing with a horrible defense and offense.. I don't believe in the wait and learn strategy. The best teaching is experiencing play on the field.

We shall see if Fox is on the hot seat when those tickets sales are down, stadium empty, and ratings take another round of hits.

19 minutes ago, dre said:

You don't just turn into a player with flaws because your team is losing.  Bad habits develop, sure.  But that is not a given.

Peyton Manning rookie year: 26 TD, 28 INT, 56.7% Completion

2 minutes ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

This is the new age QBs that's coming out of college; there's no more old-fashioned sit and wait QB strategies. Trubisky was drafted #2 overall, when you are drafted that high in the draft you are expected to play right out the gate.

Cam, Winston, Luck, Dak, etc are all examples of getting out there and playing. I don't see why Trubisky couldn't have the same success.

Cam in his rookie season was playing with a horrible defense and offense.. I don't believe in the wait and learn strategy. The best teaching is experiencing play on the field.

I don't think that is anything new.  Look at Manning and Leaf.  Both high draft picks, both played right out of college, one succeeded and one didn't.  If Leaf were able to sit for a year or two and mature, would he have succeeded in the NFL?  Look at Rodgers.  He sat for 2 or 3 years behind Favre.  If he would have been thrown in from day 1, would have be as great as he is?  Obviously, these are questions that can't be answered. 

Joey Harrington was the 3rd overall pick by the Lions in 2002.  He started from day 1 and never lived up to the hype.  The reason for that, IMO, is that he was never surrounded by enough talent to help him succeed and his early struggles torpedoed his confidence and his career. 

Also, the QBs you listed as examples were top notch talent coming out of the draft (minus Dak).  Newton and Winston both won the Heismann (Luck was always in contention) and Luck seemed to be a generational talent coming out of college.  Also, Dak was setup for success from day 1.  He had arguably the best o-line in football, a 3-time Pro-Bowl WR and a rookie RB who won the rushing title.  That is a far cry from what Tru has to work with in Chicago.

2 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

You don't just turn into a player with flaws because your team is losing.  Bad habits develop, sure.  But that is not a given.

Peyton Manning rookie year: 26 TD, 28 INT, 56.7% Completion

Ok, what point are you trying to make?