lolcopter

Commissioner's Corner (2017 Edition)

ITT we talk about the joys and sorrows on being a commissioner of a league and discuss topics related to dues, draft, disagreements among teams, etc

a neat little trick I've implemented the pst couple seasons in order to incentivize early due collection was to allow teams to draw for their draft spot as soon as they submit their entry fee. My offline draft isn't until August 30 and over half my league has already paid up with little to no effort in my part

fantasy-football-100831-02.jpg

To deter late payment, I have the following sanctions in place. 

If money not in by draft, said late payer isn't eligible for the weekly $50 that's awarded to the weekly high score. 

Additionally, late payers can't trade players or future draft picks in season until they have paid. 

It's $150 bucks for f***s sake, we aren't talking about a lot of money. 

So for those who do Auction - Keepers, I am wondering what some of your trade policies/practices are.  Our set up is pretty standard auction, $200 cap, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR and 1TE and 2NonQBFLX.  We also do a college/rookie draft, one round that happens before the auction, which really creates some serious inflation especially for RB.  Like this year pretty much every rookie RB from Fournette to some 3rd rounder who might win a job like Perine or Williams will be gone before the auction.  

You get 4 keepers, they go up 1.5 the value from the year before they can only be kept 2 years, do draft for 10, next year 15 kept for final time 23.   Its a 12-team league.

The issue we are having is that there are not a lot of great keepers throughout the league, which would not be a problem except for the fact that in the middle of each year, when some team in last place feels they need to trade that high priced non keeper or expiring contracts, they are essentially giving those guys away for whatever they can (which often isnt much because people dont have much). 

One of the things I am often critical in H2H baseball, are those trying to fit a square football concept into a round baseball hole, Im wondering with keepers if I am not guilty of that myself.  

We have a baseball roto league, similar idea of auction keeper, etc.  But in baseball with 23 active spots and every spot mattering, there are many more keepers to deal.  Very common to see 2-3 stars/upgrades/non keepers for a cheap star keeper and 2 crap bags you are trying to upgrade.  Pr 1 expensive star for keeper, minor leaguers, minor league picks package. 

In baseball, all 23 spots matter, in football the focus is really on 4-5 guys essentially your RB and WR.  So in my baseball league, if I trade say Clayton Kershaw because Im out of it, Im gonna get a pretty good haul back in return.  Matter of fact he was traded earlier in the year for dirt cheap Lance McCullers, ML Gleybor Torres and a 1st round ML pick, which is a pretty good haul.  So flip to Football, if you trade a Julio Jones or some elite star, the baseball equivalent of that is like trading 4 or 5 Clayton Kershaws in terms of the % of importance that single player has to your lineup.  So in baseball, what kind of haul would you get for trading Kershaw, Arenado, Goldschmidt and Trout to someone?  There probably isnt a haul in any league that could pull 4 stars, but 1 football star because of positions etc is the equivalent of 4 stars in a standard roto lineup.  

So where Im going with this, is do auction-keeper trades work for football, or are there simply not enough keepers and the stars just to disproportionate to get "value" back that wouldnt throw off the comp balance of the league?

2 hours ago, lolcopter said:

ITT we talk about the joys and sorrows on being a commissioner of a league and discuss topics related to dues, draft, disagreements among teams, etc

a neat little trick I've implemented the pst couple seasons in order to incentivize early due collection was to allow teams to draw for their draft spot as soon as they submit their entry fee. My offline draft isn't until August 30 and over half my league has already paid up with little to no effort in my part

fantasy-football-100831-02.jpg

Sheer Genius.   I am going to do this.  

Yeah it's a pretty good little system to collect the fees, with the only caveat being that as commish i don't know my spot until all other teams have already drawn. I had a couple players tell me to go ahead and draw and they would be witnesses, but I just don't wanna deal with the inevitable butt hurt should I end up drawing #1 overall and accusations of collusion and all that so I'm fine with just waiting 

7 hours ago, lolcopter said:

Yeah it's a pretty good little system to collect the fees, with the only caveat being that as commish i don't know my spot until all other teams have already drawn. I had a couple players tell me to go ahead and draw and they would be witnesses, but I just don't wanna deal with the inevitable butt hurt should I end up drawing #1 overall and accusations of collusion and all that so I'm fine with just waiting 

Yeah,  u have to or use a third party random order generator.  Send them the link when they pay.   

10 hours ago, parrothead said:

So where Im going with this, is do auction-keeper trades work for football, or are there simply not enough keepers and the stars just to disproportionate to get "value" back that wouldnt throw off the comp balance of the league?

Read all of this. Shortened the quote for space. 

I think you've gotta shrink your slots down to increase the amount of draft Capitol on draft day.

Also consider decreasing the amount of keepers. 

I'll be honest, I didn't totally understand all your keeper rules though. 

10 hours ago, parrothead said:

You get 4 keepers, they go up 1.5 the value from the year before they can only be kept 2 years, do draft for 10, next year 15 kept for final time 23.   Its a 12-team league.

I'm not sure if this helps, but I like the simple keeper rule, any three players bought $9 or less. Rewards value picks and intuition without throwing off balance (because the main studs are available). If you want to make it for multiple years, add one or two $ to the original price each year (with $10 becoming ineligible).

40 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Read all of this. Shortened the quote for space. 

I think you've gotta shrink your slots down to increase the amount of draft Capitol on draft day.

Also consider decreasing the amount of keepers. 

I'll be honest, I didn't totally understand all your keeper rules though. 

Eseentially 4 keepers, price goes up 1.5 each year, all they can be kept is 2 more years following acquisition year via draft or waivers.  Each team is allowed one franchise player, who is an A contract to remain the same price, but then he becomes expiring year.    So if I had a $10 Year 1, I can make him a $15 Year 2 with chance next year at $23 FY (final year) or just make him 10FY this year.  So someone is keeping Bell at $60 as his franchise where obviously he isnt keeper material at 90

Random but this is based on draft location figured I would share. My league is full of college friends all in the mid/late 20's so every year, I try to plan the draft somewhere cool and out of the ordinary since we have our whole lives to draft in one of our basements.

After years passed of renting a lake house, weekend long camping trip, this year I came up with an idea to draft at a Minor League Baseball stadium in CT and get a suite for the day/night. It was only $450 and they were so accommodating. We were granted early access to the stadium, our champion threw out the first pitch, and our league got a shootout during the middle of the 3rd inning, we had a waiter that came with a round of beers (frequently). We were able to bring in our draft board, laptops, etc.

Just wanted to share this experience because it was a very inexpensive and unique and I certainly recommend it!

1 hour ago, bgar15 said:

Random but this is based on draft location figured I would share. My league is full of college friends all in the mid/late 20's so every year, I try to plan the draft somewhere cool and out of the ordinary since we have our whole lives to draft in one of our basements.

After years passed of renting a lake house, weekend long camping trip, this year I came up with an idea to draft at a Minor League Baseball stadium in CT and get a suite for the day/night. It was only $450 and they were so accommodating. We were granted early access to the stadium, our champion threw out the first pitch, and our league got a shootout during the middle of the 3rd inning, we had a waiter that came with a round of beers (frequently). We were able to bring in our draft board, laptops, etc.

Just wanted to share this experience because it was a very inexpensive and unique and I certainly recommend it!

shoutout*   A shootout would have been interesting though.....

1 hour ago, bgar15 said:

great idea!!!! Great experience and honestly that is a great price.  

23 hours ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

To deter late payment, I have the following sanctions in place. 

If money not in by draft, said late payer isn't eligible for the weekly $50 that's awarded to the weekly high score. 

Additionally, late payers can't trade players or future draft picks in season until they have paid. 

It's $150 bucks for f***s sake, we aren't talking about a lot of money. 

Yup, my league you aren't eligible for the $75 weekly high score until you are paid in full. Everyone was paid in full by week 1 last season.

In our league, we try to keep people as engaged as humanly possible. Even with a pretty steep buy-in, that's not enough to make sure everyone is all-in on the league - especially as we're all adults now with families and other commitments. So I just wanted to point out some of the cool things we do. 

- We also have a weighted lottery that we broadcast each year on FB Live or YouTube to determine draft order. We act silly with fake sponsors and special guests. We use an elaborate machine that I built last year to extract the ping-pong balls. Our most recent one was this weekend located on YouTube here. Here are some better images on the machine I built here and here.

- In our ball lottery, there is one "money ball" ping-pong ball. The person who wins it the previous year gets to choose its meaning. Last year it was punitive - the person who plays against you gets to rename your team each week. This year it was positive - you get to choose the category of "prop bets" for each week described below. 

- We have payouts for champion, regular season winner, and the lowest scorer each week has to pay the highest scorer each week a bonus. We also a portion of each person's buy-in goes into a jackpot that carries over each year. Anyone who finishes the year undefeated wins it. It's been rolling over for years and soon it'll be more than the total purse. The weekly "prop bets" are new this year, and they're chosen at random each week and pay the winner a bonus (longest FG, most turnovers, longest TD, etc.). 

- We have a legitimate 60 year-old vintage trophy that we have professionally engraved with the league winner each year. As we continue to fill up the nameplates on the base, soon I'll be crafting an extension a la the Stanley Cup to fit more. It's a big deal to win the trophy and hold it all year, and getting to snap pics and videos celebrating with it during the offseason. 

- We have multiple parties each year, one before the season during the lottery, and then have one after the season is over, for all people in the league and their families. 

- Other than that, we do what a lot of other leagues do - commish match-up recaps, power rankings, smack talk on group texts, etc. 

Edited by Fade2White12

1 hour ago, Fade2White12 said:

In our league, we try to keep people as engaged as humanly possible. Even with a pretty steep buy-in, that's not enough to make sure everyone is all-in on the league - especially as we're all adults now with families and other commitments. So I just wanted to point out some of the cool things we do. 

- We also have a weighted lottery that we broadcast each year on FB Live or YouTube to determine draft order. We act silly with fake sponsors and special guests. We use an elaborate machine that I built last year to extract the ping-pong balls. Our most recent one was this weekend located on YouTube here. Here are some better images on the machine I built here and here.

- In our ball lottery, there is one "money ball" ping-pong ball. The person who wins it the previous year gets to choose its meaning. Last year it was punitive - the person who plays against you gets to rename your team each week. This year it was positive - you get to choose the category of "prop bets" for each week described below. 

- We have payouts for champion, regular season winner, and the lowest scorer each week has to pay the highest scorer each week a bonus. We also a portion of each person's buy-in goes into a jackpot that carries over each year. Anyone who finishes the year undefeated wins it. It's been rolling over for years and soon it'll be more than the total purse. The weekly "prop bets" are new this year, and they're chosen at random each week and pay the winner a bonus (longest FG, most turnovers, longest TD, etc.). 

- We have a legitimate 60 year-old vintage trophy that we have professionally engraved with the league winner each year. As we continue to fill up the nameplates on the base, soon I'll be crafting an extension a la the Stanley Cup to fit more. It's a big deal to win the trophy and hold it all year, and getting to snap pics and videos celebrating with it during the offseason. 

- We have multiple parties each year, one before the season during the lottery, and then have one after the season is over, for all people in the league and their families. 

- Other than that, we do what a lot of other leagues do - commish match-up recaps, power rankings, smack talk on group texts, etc. 

Wow.  Officially impressed!   I want a ping pong ball machine now lol

Regarding draft pick trading: 

12 team standard league.
Our league allows draft pick trading but up until this year, no one has done it before.
This year Team A has dealt their 1st round, 6th round, 15th round and 16th round picks to team B for their 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks.

team A is now 4 picks ahead of everyone.

So when anyone else is still filling out our WR2 (or whatever) team A will be able to reach for anyone he wants having already filled out their roster.

I believe this has ruined our draft. I believe that the snake draft is fair by design and shouldn't be messed with.

Anyone dealt with this issue? The league is at odds. 

30 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Wow.  Officially impressed!   I want a ping pong ball machine now lol

Thanks! It was quite a lot of work. Not a whole lot of things like this exist, so I had to get creative. A lot of trial and error but the thing is pretty amazing and everyone gets a huge kick out of it. You can see the progression from framing, to skinning, to painting, to now. The field on the surface is to scale and was hand painted by my wife. I also designed the logo on the front of the machine (the trophy came from a pigeon breeding/showing contest in the 60's) and I've made a few other upgrades - bottle opener, led lighting, etc. 

Edited by Fade2White12

5 minutes ago, Fade2White12 said:

Thanks! It was quite a lot of work. Not a whole lot of things like this exist, so I had to get creative. A lot of trial and error but the thing is pretty amazing and everyone gets a huge kick out of it. You can see the progression from framing, to skinning, to painting, to now. The field on the surface is to scale and was hand painted by my wife. I also designed the logo on the front of the machine (the trophy came from a pigeon breeding/showing contest in the 60's) and I've made a few other upgrades - bottle opener, led lighting, etc. 

rTHC2Jq.gif

13 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

12 team standard league.
Our league allows draft pick trading but up until this year, no one has done it before.
This year Team A has dealt their 1st round, 6th round, 15th round and 16th round picks to team B for their 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks.

So when anyone else is still filling out our WR2 (or whatever) team A will be able to reach for anyone he wants having already filled out their roster.

I believe this has ruined our draft. I believe that the snake draft is fair by design and shouldn't be messed with.

Wow. What a headache. Totally unnecessary. My league has been able to trade draft picks in the past, but it was during the league and usually involved players. 

We have since voted to take out the allowing of trading draft picks, as the majority of the league wants to keep the original snake draft(and arguably the most fun part of fantasy) in tact.

Good luck

13 minutes ago, klindsay87 said:

Wow. What a headache. Totally unnecessary. My league has been able to trade draft picks in the past, but it was during the league and usually involved players. 

We have since voted to take out the allowing of trading draft picks, as the majority of the league wants to keep the original snake draft(and arguably the most fun part of fantasy) in tact.

Good luck

I couldn't agree more. Unforuntately it's turned into quite the gong show with long standing members threatening to quit. 

Just now, Gandalfthecat said:

I couldn't agree more. Unforuntately it's turned into quite the gong show with long standing members threatening to quit. 

When all is said and done, you should take it to a vote and league majority rules. You and your league should be absolutely destroying the player that gave up all of those picks. They are the dumbass creating the headache. 

53 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

12 team standard league.

It's a huge trade for sure.    team A has no first round picks so they start out behind.  They don't catch up in picks until after the second round- and in value they don't catch up until the third round.   First round has the most value by a good amount.  I don't think it's the massive coup you are making it out to be.     It does change the balance though rounds but not having a first round pick is huge 

Edited by Impreza178

5 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

It's a huge trade for sure.    team A has no first round picks so they start out behind.  They don't catch up in picks until after the second round- and in value they don't catch up until the third round.   First round has the most value by a good amount.  I don't think it's the massive coup you are making it out to be.     It does change the balance though rounds but not having a first round pick is huge 

My primary issue is how the trade affects the rest of the league. With team A filling out their roster much earlier than the rest of the league, they'll be able to reach for players while the rest of the teams still fill their basic positions. 

Long and short of it is I believe the snake draft is by design, fair. We never should've allowed draft pick trading. Probably have to live with it now. 

Edited by Gandalfthecat

5 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

My primary issue is how the trade affects the rest of the league. With team A filling out their roster much earlier than the rest of the league, they'll be able to reach for players while the rest of the teams still fill their basic positions. 

Long and short of it is I believe the snake draft is by design, fair. We never should've allowed draft pick trading. Probably have to live with it now. 

What do u mean "filling out their roster"?  Isn't everybody doing that- looking for the best players all the way through the draft? Every owner isn't picking their qb, wr2, rb3, whatever at the same time.   the guy gave up his first and sixth rounder for more mid round picks.   Maybe it works out maybe not but it's not a crazy bad trade.     You guys should probably just ban it if you don't like that kind of thing.  

25 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

We allow draft pick trading but only the one slot, which thereby changes every other pick through the snake draft. None of this convoluted multipick stuff which just reeks of collusion

edit: for further clarification, this rarely happens. But say if you KNOW you want someone like Melvin Gordon or Mike Evans and are the #1 overall pick, you could trade back to like 8/9 and still get your guy along with the higher pick on the 1/2 wraparound 

Edited by lolcopter