lolcopter

Commissioner's Corner (2017 Edition)

18 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

In my league we have a "no tanking" rule which states you must make a reasonable effort to set your lineup each week to avoid giving easy wins to potential playoff teams.

That being said, I don't like having a rule that says you must fill every roster spot every week.  Just this week I played with Ertz (on bye) in my TE spot, because I was going up against one of the worst teams in the league and I didn't want to drop a bench player to possibly get 3 points with a streamer TE for one week.  I calculated that I could win without a TE, and I did, by about 40 points.

I don't think teams should be forced to drop valuable players during the bye week crunch just to make sure they're playing a TE, D/ST or K, when streaming options at these positions often don't produce many points and can be difficult to predict.  It's possible to win without picking up a second K to replace Gostkowski when he's on bye, so teams should be allowed to do that.

I agree with this sentiment, it's just a bit difficult to have rules that leave this much open to interpretation. What constitutes tanking exactly? Sure, if the first place team leaves his kicker spot open one week or the last place team isn't playing a QB those are obvious ends of the spectrum. But what if the 8th place team is playing his best friend and leaves a WR slot open? 

Not saying you'll encounter such a grey area, but I'd just be a bit worried that everyone's idea of tanking could be different, leading to some unreasonable expectations from owners. The more black and white rules are the smoother things tend to go. 

5 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

I agree with this sentiment, it's just a bit difficult to have rules that leave this much open to interpretation. What constitutes tanking exactly? Sure, if the first place team leaves his kicker spot open one week or the last place team isn't playing a QB those are obvious ends of the spectrum. But what if the 8th place team is playing his best friend and leaves a WR slot open? 

Not saying you'll encounter such a grey area, but I'd just be a bit worried that everyone's idea of tanking could be different, leading to some unreasonable expectations from owners. The more black and white rules are the smoother things tend to go. 

Agreed.  And the black and white rule is: team managers manage their teams and rosters the way they see fit to do.  If someone is tanking, I don't like the commish stepping in to micromanage the tanking team manager's decisions.  Just don't invite the tanker back next year.

I have a topic that I'm not sure where to discuss.

Does anyone else just think this year in fantasy (and in football) just plain sucks? I don't know what it is, but it just seems dull and lacking punch. It's not just my team (it's fine, 3rd place, tons of injuries) but the whole league is saying the same thing. I don't know if it's the injuries overall, lack of explosive superstars, other NFL drama, on-field product or what. Am I crazy?

So I'm thinking about other wrinkles that can be added to the league to keep things more entertaining, more engaging. Auction WW, smaller or deeper rosters?, IR spot, return yards, 6pt TDs, other things? We have a pretty simple keeper rule (1 allowed, has to be drafted in a double digit round). But still wondering how my league of 12 (all engaged) can continue to keep things interesting.

Tons of big stars have been knocked out for the season or suspended, and many more have underperformed.  So I think fantasy scoring is down across the league.  No Peyton Manning, Calvin Johnson, makes the league a little less entertaining and fun.

Is it "tanking" to fill all positions but play a less than optimal lineup?

If so, I've been guilty.  In a 2-keeper league (2015), I scored the 3rd most points but was 4-8 heading into final week 13 game.  Another team was 4-8 (but had DJ) and there were one or two 5 win teams.  If I lost, I'd be able to draft Zeke (or DJ if the other team dropped for Zeke).  If I won, I'd drop 2-4 draft spots (bc points scored), thus missing out on Zeke with no real compelling options for a first pick.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with "tanking" in such a situation.  Last year I went 7-6 (7th bc points for, missed playoffs but won buy-in back) and this year I'm 8-2 and in 1st place.  This will (likely) be the first year (my 5th) I make playoffs in a very competitive league with a nice payout.  I should be set with Zeke for a few years.

Losing that 2015 week 13 game was absolutely vital to my future prospects.  If it happened to decide a playoff spot between two others, too bad.  Thems the breaks.  I would 100% do the same thing again.

Any problems?

Edited by SadFaceHappy

No problems with your thought process.  But complications like the one you have just described keep me firmly in redraft and away from dynasty/keeper leagues.

6 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

No problems with your thought process.  But complications like the one you have just described keep me firmly in redraft and away from dynasty/keeper leagues.

Eh, to each their own. I have one redraft, one 2-keeper (and one bs league).  Like the 2-keeper best.  Would like to add a fuller, though not complete, keeper/dynasty.  I like the added strategy of picking players for longer term.  There's also something of an emotional element. It's gonna be tough pill to swallow keeping only 2 next year.  Will be 3 or 4 players very sadly dropped.

2 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Eh, to each their own. I have one redraft, one 2-keeper (and one bs league).  Like the 2-keeper best.  Would like to add a fuller, though not complete, keeper/dynasty.  I like the added strategy of picking players for longer term.  There's also something of an emotional element. It's gonna be tough pill to swallow keeping only 2 next year.  Will be 3 or 4 players very sadly dropped.

I have a pretty competitive dynasty league that has been running for a few years that will need a new member if you are interested.

Question for the leagues that vote on rule changes. If you vote to change something in the league i.e. going from PPR to standard, what percentage of votes do you think is fair to change a rule. A friend is arguing that over 75% but another member in the league is saying anything over 50%. 2/3rd is also an option. 

1 minute ago, Halberdier said:

Question for the leagues that vote on rule changes. If you vote to change something in the league i.e. going from PPR to standard, what percentage of votes do you think is fair to change a rule. A friend is arguing that over 75% but another member in the league is saying anything over 50%. 2/3rd is also an option. 

For something as significant as that I would lean towards the 75% that was requested, as changing from standard to PPR or vice versa completely changes the dynamic of the game and many people may not like that

1 minute ago, lolcopter said:

For something as significant as that I would lean towards the 75% that was requested, as changing from standard to PPR or vice versa completely changes the dynamic of the game and many people may not like that

For context its for a double header playoff or single match up. 

2 minutes ago, Halberdier said:

For context its for a double header playoff or single match up. 

Oh I really like the double header idea. Takes a little bit of the variance out of the championship matchup. But again, I would say that change is significant enough to warrant the 75%, you just gotta sell it correctly and it should be an easy get

On 11/14/2017 at 9:16 PM, leebattle said:

I have a topic that I'm not sure where to discuss.

Does anyone else just think this year in fantasy (and in football) just plain sucks? I don't know what it is, but it just seems dull and lacking punch. It's not just my team (it's fine, 3rd place, tons of injuries) but the whole league is saying the same thing. I don't know if it's the injuries overall, lack of explosive superstars, other NFL drama, on-field product or what. Am I crazy?

So I'm thinking about other wrinkles that can be added to the league to keep things more entertaining, more engaging. Auction WW, smaller or deeper rosters?, IR spot, return yards, 6pt TDs, other things? We have a pretty simple keeper rule (1 allowed, has to be drafted in a double digit round). But still wondering how my league of 12 (all engaged) can continue to keep things interesting.

Our 12 man league does a couple of things that keeps everyone engaged.Entry is $210 per

Although we play a HTH schedule,our playoffs are determined by a point scale system i.e. first place scoring on any given week gets 11 points and last place gets 0.These points are added together(yes extra work for commish) for all 17 weeks and the top 6 teams are paid based on those accumulative points.We then hold a play-off redraft where the top 6 may keep anyone on their roster making the play-offs and then redraft from the bottom 6 teams at $5 per transaction.

$325 is held over from entries for postseason tourney in which 1st and 2nd place get paid.And yes if you make the play-offs which run with the actual NFL Play-offs you may find yourself on Super Bowl Sunday with only 1-2 players but the postseason points accumulate so depending on your start teams have won it all in just that scenario.

Also,at the end of regular season we also give $50 to each high one week position player that was in a starting line-up,$10 for each high points week 1-17 and we give bonuses to the owners with high months Sept-Dec.

Our site also hosts a survivor pool $10 per owner with winner take all.

Edited by nzoner

On 11/14/2017 at 10:16 PM, leebattle said:

I'm not a commish, but as someone who plays in two different leagues, one with a small bench and one with deep, I much prefer the deeper one. It is fun to hunt for the next potential break-out candidate. And it can also encourage more trading, which is fun IMHO too. Your league mates might differ, so ask them of course! 

Wish I implemented the "no-tanking" rule earlier in my league. An owner has locked up the #1 seed wanted to sit all his players to influence seeding so that a weaker team gets the last spot. I told him, you gotta have a startable line-up no matter what, but I can't force him to start his star players. So he's sitting Gurley, Allen etc. and playing his back-ups.

Don't think there's anything I can do. I can't exactly force someone to start one player over another. But next year, I am thinking about implement the No Tanking rule. But it's definitely a subjective one. I feel owners should be able to start and sit whoever they want, but tanking to influence seeding feels unfair.

Any one coming across the same problem, and is there a better solution?

Edited by TheLegacy

2 hours ago, TheLegacy said:

Wish I implemented the "no-tanking" rule earlier in my league. An owner has locked up the #1 seed wanted to sit all his players to influence seeding so that a weaker team gets the last spot. I told him, you gotta have a startable line-up no matter what, but I can't force him to start his star players. So he's sitting Gurley, Allen etc. and playing his back-ups.

Don't think there's anything I can do. I can't exactly force someone to start one player over another. But next year, I am thinking about implement the No Tanking rule. But it's definitely a subjective one. I feel owners should be able to start and sit whoever they want, but tanking to influence seeding feels unfair.

I see this as a legit strategy.  The successful team manager has the luxury of a big enough lead that he can make such moves.  Even if it wasn't, it is very difficult to imagine crafting a rule to address such a practice that does not introduce an unacceptable level of commissioner meddling and substitution of judgment.

15 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I see this as a legit strategy.  The successful team manager has the luxury of a big enough lead that he can make such moves.  Even if it wasn't, it is very difficult to imagine crafting a rule to address such a practice that does not introduce an unacceptable level of commissioner meddling and substitution of judgment.

So because someone has a good record they're allowed to make such moves? They're allowed to ruin the integrity of the league by playing God and deciding who gets in and who doesn't, all because they have a good record?  Yeah, I'm not buying that. Sounds like justifying selfishness to me.

20 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

This. 

The owner worked all season and put himself in a position to have this move as an option, you cant penalize him for bettering his chances at winning.  You may not like it but if he has put himself in a position to do so that is his right and its a good strategy.

Just now, Shake said:

So because someone has a good record they're allowed to make such moves? They're allowed to ruin the integrity of the league by playing God and deciding who gets in and who doesn't, all because they have a good record?  Yeah, I'm not buying that. Sounds like justifying selfishness to me.

Sounds like a cry baby who didn't win enough games and is frustrated that his season depends on the actions of another owner.  He is there to compete for a championship, knocking out a more competitive player is a good strategy, hes not playing God hes playing smart.  Get over your spilled milk!

2 hours ago, TheLegacy said:

This is fantasy football: he can sit all of his stars and still win. And/or, his strategy could work, a lower-seed team might creep in, and then this guy could lose (and learn his lesson). Murphy's Law is the only commissioner in the end.

Just now, Flynfiesta6 said:

Sounds like a cry baby who didn't win enough games and is frustrated that his season depends on the actions of another owner.  He is there to compete for a championship, knocking out a more competitive player is a good strategy, hes not playing God hes playing smart.  Get over your spilled milk!

No. It's not a strategy, it's called a b**** move. It's that simple. You're trying to justify selfishness and ruining league integrity as a strategy is laughable.

Believe it or not you can be a good team, that's made the playoffs and think tanking is bad, it's not just people who miss the playoffs who think it's not a "strategy", it's people with ethics.

Don't bother asking that question on this forum, a lot of people on here think it's good form or good "strategy" to tank when it serves their own self interest, trust me I had a couple weeks of back and forth on this forum last year about it. In reality though, tanking is a B**** move. To intentionally not start a full lineup or even to start inferior players on purpose with the full intention of trying to lose on purpose so that someone gets a free win which then could knock another player out of the playoffs (influencing seeding) is wrong. 

A lot of people fail to put themselves in the other persons shoes because they act out of their own self interest and never think they'll be on that end of the spectrum, but what if you were on the borderline of making the playoffs and someone decides "Nah, I don't want to play that player in the playoffs so I'm going to lose on purpose." You good with that? Because anyone that tells me they are is lying. With that said, it's not just teams on the outside looking in that find tanking to be wrong, I'm in the playoffs this year, won my league last year and find it to be ridiculous, especially when called a "strategy".

Some may say that it's a strategy because you're playing to win the entire season by making that move, giving up one week to secure a better match up. In reality it's trying to play God basically, and decide who gets in and who doesn't because someone has locked everything up. No one has that right in my opinion. No one should be kicked out of the playoffs due to shenanigans such as that. You should make the playoffs because your team was good enough to make it, or miss it because they weren't but you definitely shouldn't have someone pulling the puppet strings playing God trying to decide whether or not you make the playoffs just because they want a better match up.

That's a quick way to ruin league integrity and I believe there should be some ethics to this game. I mean if it's okay to tank and knock people out of the playoffs because you don't want to play them later on then why have any rules in the first place? Why not just allow collusion while you're at it?

Edited by Shake

2 minutes ago, Shake said:

No. It's not a strategy, it's called a b**** move. It's that simple. You're trying to justify selfishness and ruining league integrity as a strategy is laughable.

Believe it or not you can be a good team, that's made the playoffs and think tanking is bad, it's not just people who miss the playoffs who think it's not a "strategy", it's people with ethics.

Lol, it is 100% a strategy and if he has put himself in a position to do so the bravo.

I don't know how you can question someone's integrity when they are playing to win.  He isn't cheating, he's starting a full line up and he feels like he is giving his team a better chance at winning the overall game by making this move. 

Your probably the same guy who Veto's a trade because it makes one team to good aren't you?

3 minutes ago, Shake said:

Don't bother asking that question on this forum, a lot of people on here think it's good form or good "strategy" to tank when it serves their own self interest, trust me I had a couple weeks of back and forth on this forum last year about it. In reality though, tanking is a B**** move. To intentionally not start a full lineup or even to start inferior players on purpose with the full intention of trying to lose on purpose so that someone gets a free win which then could knock another player out of the playoffs (influencing seeding) is wrong. 

A lot of people fail to put themselves in the other persons shoes because they act out of their own self interest and never think they'll be on that end of the spectrum, but what if you were on the borderline of making the playoffs and someone decides "Nah, I don't want to play that player in the playoffs so I'm going to lose on purpose." You good with that? Because anyone that tells me they are is lying. With that said, it's not just teams on the outside looking in that find tanking to be wrong, I'm in the playoffs this year, won my league last year and find it to be ridiculous, especially when called a "strategy".

Some may say that it's a strategy because you're playing to win the entire season by making that move, giving up one week to secure a better match up. In reality it's trying to play God basically, and decide who gets in and who doesn't because someone has locked everything up. No one has that right in my opinion. No one should be kicked out of the playoffs due to shenanigans such as that. You should make the playoffs because your team was good enough to make it, or miss it because they weren't but you definitely shouldn't have someone pulling the puppet strings playing God trying to decide whether or not you make the playoffs just because they want a better match up.

That's a quick way to ruin league integrity and I believe there should be some ethics to this game. I mean if it's okay to tank and knock people out of the playoffs because you don't want to play them later on then why have any rules in the first place? Why not just allow collusion while you're at it?

Wow, youre really passionate about this... are you the team that isn't making it lol?

3 minutes ago, Shake said:

Youre wrong.  He has that right because he put himself in a position to make the move and unless there is an incredibly subjective rule to govern who can and cant be started for each team each week then he is doing nothing wrong.

Apparently the team needs one more win to make it, so it wasn't good enough.  Better luck next year.

Because that is actually cheating.  He isn't breaking any rules.