lolcopter

Commissioner's Corner (2017 Edition)

Just now, Flynfiesta6 said:

Lol, it is 100% a strategy and if he has put himself in a position to do so the bravo.

I don't know how you can question someone's integrity when they are playing to win.  He isn't cheating, he's starting a full line up and he feels like he is giving his team a better chance at winning the overall game by making this move. 

Your probably the same guy who Veto's a trade because it makes one team to good aren't you?

A lot of assumptions you're making about me here with no facts.

I'm a commissioner in my league, so there's no vetos except on obvious collusion. Only 2 vetos in 9 years this league has been around. That's about 100 completed trades in that time. So no I don't veto trades for my own self interests. You'd see that though if you actually read what I wrote as I'm arguing against doing things in your own self interest, while you're arguing for it. So wouldn't it make sense that you'd be the guy that veto's trades that aren't good for you not me? Think about it.

Actually the original post said the guy was going to sit all of his players until his commish talked to him. Even if not, benching all your good players to purposefully lose is wrong because you're giving a free win away on purpose to decide playoff seedings. There's no convincing me that's not wrong.

As commissioner I require everyone in my league to start a full lineup, not optimal lineup but I strongly advise against tanking, basically letting anyone know you wont be back next year. Seeing as though we all work together and it's a close league, so far so good. I guess I have just surrounded myself with people who don't act in their own self interests. Obviously not every league is the same.

7 minutes ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

Wow, youre really passionate about this... are you the team that isn't making it lol?

Clearly you can't read. I said I won my league last year, and am in the playoffs currently this year.

Reading comprehension....learn about it.

I'm all about not acting in your own self interest when it comes to stuff like this, it's called ethics.

Just now, Shake said:

A lot of assumptions you're making about me here with no facts.

I'm a commissioner in my league, so there's no vetos except on obvious collusion. Only 2 vetos in 9 years this league has been around. That's about 100 completed trades in that time. So no I don't veto trades for my own self interests. You'd see that though if you actually read what I wrote as I'm arguing against doing things in your own self interest, while you're arguing for it. So wouldn't it make sense that you'd be the guy that veto's trades that aren't good for you not me? Think about it.

Actually the original post said the guy was going to sit all of his players until his commish talked to him. Even if not, benching all your good players to purposefully lose is wrong because you're giving a free win away on purpose to decide playoff seedings. There's no convincing me that's not wrong.

As commissioner I require everyone in my league to start a full lineup, not optimal lineup but I strongly advise against tanking, basically letting anyone know you wont be back next year. Seeing as though we all work together and it's a close league, so far so good. I guess I have just surrounded myself with people who don't act in their own self interests. Obviously not every league is the same.

I have commissioned a league for 8 years as well so I am well seasoned in my reasoning.  Ive never had to veto a trade, I let owners run their own team.  My theory of being a good commissioner is to identify the possible issues ahead of time and address them clearly, its worked for me so far.  

I am making a joke/assumption based on how you perceive people should play a game, because this is a game and the goal is to win.  Telling people that they cant improve their odds to win the game they signed up to play is ridiculous.  The goal is to win, beat every other player, take all the money/prize/pride.  That is about as selfish as you can get and that's ok everyone knows that when they sign up.  Do you let a different team win every year so its fair and no one gets their feelings hurt? No you let everyone compete inside the rules that you have established in any way they see fit.  The OP said he should have instituted a no tanking rule (even though I don't consider this tanking) so there obviously isn't one in place so the player is well within his rights.

I agree with you that a player shouldn't be able to play open spots but if he wants to play his bench players over his perceived starters because he feels like it will give him a better chance at winning the overall prize and he has put himself in a position to do so then he should be able to make that move.  By telling someone your have to play an "optimal lineup" based of your(you as the LM) perception of who should and shouldn't start is where you are wrong.  You're a micromanager and I'm more macro.  I believe that this is a game and we are all here to win and if you are able to make a move in the game that is inside the rules then that is your right. 

17 minutes ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

Youre wrong.  He has that right because he put himself in a position to make the move and unless there is an incredibly subjective rule to govern who can and cant be started for each team each week then he is doing nothing wrong.

Apparently the team needs one more win to make it, so it wasn't good enough.  Better luck next year.

Because that is actually cheating.  He isn't breaking any rules.

So it's okay to tank if you have a good record, and it's "strategy". But I'll assume you believe it's not okay to tank if say you were in 9th place and don't care anymore?

What a convenient line to draw. Tanking is tanking regardless.

12 minutes ago, Shake said:

Clearly you can't read. I said I won my league last year, and am in the playoffs currently this year.

Reading comprehension....learn about it.

I'm all about not acting in your own self interest when it comes to stuff like this, it's called ethics.

Ok big guy, you're obviously frustrated lol.

I'm glad you won your league last year and that you made playoffs this year, youre great.

You must have very high moral standards if you think this is unethical.  Its a game man, its not real life.  We play to have fun and hopefully win, the owner is trying to better his chances of doing that.  He isn't wondering if he should steal bread to feed his family, relax.

3 minutes ago, Shake said:

So it's okay to tank if you have a good record, and it's "strategy". But I'll assume you believe it's not okay to tank if say you were in 9th place and don't care anymore?

Yup it is strategy, glad your coming around. 

Like I said previously I get ahead of the issues in my league so if a team is out of it and isn't as active/not setting their lineup, as the LM I set it for them per the highest ESPN projections.  That is a rule in our league and is stated in our code of conduct. 

2 minutes ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

I have commissioned a league for 8 years as well so I am well seasoned in my reasoning.  Ive never had to veto a trade, I let owners run their own team.  My theory of being a good commissioner is to identify the possible issues ahead of time and address them clearly, its worked for me so far.  

I am making a joke/assumption based on how you perceive people should play a game, because this is a game and the goal is to win.  Telling people that they cant improve their odds to win the game they signed up to play is ridiculous.  The goal is to win, beat every other player, take all the money/prize/pride.  That is about as selfish as you can get and that's ok everyone knows that when they sign up.  Do you let a different team win every year so its fair and no one gets their feelings hurt? No you let everyone compete inside the rules that you have established in any way they see fit.  The OP said he should have instituted a no tanking rule (even though I don't consider this tanking) so there obviously isn't one in place so the player is well within his rights.

I agree with you that a player shouldn't be able to play open spots but if he wants to play his bench players over his perceived starters because he feels like it will give him a better chance at winning the overall prize and he has put himself in a position to do so then he should be able to make that move.  By telling someone your have to play an "optimal lineup" based of your(you as the LM) perception of who should and shouldn't start is where you are wrong.  You're a micromanager and I'm more macro.  I believe that this is a game and we are all here to win and if you are able to make a move in the game that is inside the rules then that is your right. 

It's funny that the only rule I have in my league is about setting a full lineup (outside of showing up to the draft, paying dues) but I'm a micro manager? LOL. Sure thing.

It's all about intentions. The intention should always be to win, yes. But your intentions should never be to purposely screw someone over in the process of trying to get that win. But in this case we're basically talking about losing now, to hopefully win later. So basically that's trying to justify ruining league integrity by trying to keep a better team out of the playoffs so you maybe win later. That's not how the game should be played. I don't care how you try to spin it, that's wrong. It's wrong on every level. It's wrong because you're playing God to decide who gets in the playoffs and who doesn't not because you beat that team and knocked them out legit, but because you'd rather not play them later. That's weak. No one should have their whole season decided because another team is afraid to play them so they're purposefully kept out of the playoffs due to shenanigans. 

Btw, Where did I say I make people start an optimal lineup? I make people start a full lineup, I advise against tanking. Doesn't mean you couldn't probably still do it if you really wanted to if you're more clever than benching your entire team ya know?

Ok big guy, you're obviously frustrated lol.

I'm glad you won your league last year and that you made playoffs this year, youre great.

You must have very high moral standards if you think this is unethical.  Its a game man, its not real life.  We play to have fun and hopefully win, the owner is trying to better his chances of doing that.  He isn't wondering if he should steal bread to feed his family, relax.

Don't patronize me dude.

I'm fine. You're right it is a game, but it says something about peoples standards in real life though. If you'll go threw such extreme lengths to win a fantasy championship what would you do in real life? lol Seriously. Maybe the bread companies should watch some of you guys.    :lol: 

Yup it is strategy, glad your coming around. 

Like I said previously I get ahead of the issues in my league so if a team is out of it and isn't as active/not setting their lineup, as the LM I set it for them per the highest ESPN projections.  That is a rule in our league and is stated in our code of conduct. 

I'm glad you at least do that. I do make sure to get up with all my guys every week to make sure they have a lineup set. This is why it shocks me that you're that proactive and yet think it's acceptable to tank. 

14 minutes ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

As commissioner I require everyone in my league to start a full lineup, not optimal lineup but I strongly advise against tanking, basically letting anyone know you wont be back next year

That sounds to me like they have to start an "optimal lineup" if they want to be welcomed back.  Or did I misinterpret?

Just now, Flynfiesta6 said:

That sounds to me like they have to start an "optimal lineup" if they want to be welcomed back.  Or did I misinterpret?

You misinterpret.

8 minutes ago, Shake said:

Shake, we got into it last year so it's good to see you again.  I see a huge difference between these two things.  When a team manager doesn't care and is no longer making moves, that does affect the integrity of the league.  But at what point does the commissioner step in?  After the commish has played the ghost ship team?  Right before his rival does?  Only thing you can do in that situation is let it ride, and the negligent team manager is not asked back.

But the top seed that is resting his starters is doing so deliberately to try to keep a dangerous rival out of the playoffs to set up a game against a perceived softer opponent.  In other words, he is deliberately managing his own team in a legal way that he thinks will improve his chance to win the championship.  I would NEVER do it, because it is the kind of thing that could blow up in my face, but I respect the strategy.

48 minutes ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

Sounds like a cry baby who didn't win enough games and is frustrated that his season depends on the actions of another owner.  He is there to compete for a championship, knocking out a more competitive player is a good strategy, hes not playing God hes playing smart.  Get over your spilled milk!

38 minutes ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

Lol, it is 100% a strategy and if he has put himself in a position to do so the bravo.

I don't know how you can question someone's integrity when they are playing to win.  He isn't cheating, he's starting a full line up and he feels like he is giving his team a better chance at winning the overall game by making this move. 

Your probably the same guy who Veto's a trade because it makes one team to good aren't you?

no need for this comeback .... you are taking your stance to an ugly level

you guys disagree ... get over it

3 minutes ago, Shake said:

Don't patronize me dude.

I'm fine. You're right it is a game, but it says something about peoples standards in real life though. If you'll go threw such extreme lengths to win a fantasy championship what would you do in real life? lol Seriously. Maybe the bread companies should watch some of you guys.    :lol: 

Have you ever played Call of Duty? Did you kill someone? Does that mean you would kill someone in real life?

Get over yourself dude, its a game it has very little to do with how someone acts on a day to day basis.

3 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

no need for this comeback .... you are taking your stance to an ugly level

you guys disagree ... get over it

Lol, I have yet to get ugly.  The comment is warranted but was a joke. He's against someone improving their chances at winning, same logic as vetoing a trade because it makes a team to good.

4 minutes ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

Have you ever played Call of Duty? Did you kill someone? Does that mean you would kill someone in real life?

Get over yourself dude, its a game it has very little to do with how someone acts on a day to day basis.

For someone who likes to make jokes, you sure can't take one.

5 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Shake, we got into it last year so it's good to see you again.  I see a huge difference between these two things.  When a team manager doesn't care and is no longer making moves, that does affect the integrity of the league.  But at what point does the commissioner step in?  After the commish has played the ghost ship team?  Right before his rival does?  Only thing you can do in that situation is let it ride, and the negligent team manager is not asked back.

But the top seed that is resting his starters is doing so deliberately to try to keep a dangerous rival out of the playoffs to set up a game against a perceived softer opponent.  In other words, he is deliberately managing his own team in a legal way that he thinks will improve his chance to win the championship.  I would NEVER do it, because it is the kind of thing that could blow up in my face, but I respect the strategy.

Exactly, the team he lets in may end up being better than the one he kept out but it is a decision he has the luxury of making.

2 minutes ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

Lol, I have yet to get ugly.  The comment is warranted but was a joke. He's against someone improving their chances at winning, same logic as vetoing a trade because it makes a team to good.

But it's not the same as I said because both acts are made in selfishness and I'm against that as I stated before.

1 minute ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

In settings under trade review they have two options

1. LM only vetos

2. Votes Required to veto

If the setting is set for #2 then if the damn owner doesn't like the trade he can veto the trade.

1 minute ago, Shake said:

For someone who likes to make jokes, you sure can't take one.

LOL I've been laughing this whole time.  The fact that you're trying to relate how someone plays FF to how they act in real life is hilarious. 

2 minutes ago, Shake said:

But it's not the same as I said because both acts are made in selfishness and I'm against that as I stated before.

Do you believe that every team manager should be trying to win the championship (in redraft) as hard as they can during the season?  I do, and I see going easy on a weak opponent to keep a dangerous rival out as a legit tactic.  And real NFL teams do it, too.

1 minute ago, shakestreet said:

1. LM only vetos

If the setting is set for #2 then if the damn owner doesn't like the trade he can veto the trade.

Agreed, and that's why I only play LM Veto.

5 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

1. LM only vetos

That's why all leagues should use setting no. 1.  If I were playing in a league that used setting number 2, I would hate to do it but I would try to round up enough votes to veto a trade that made two of my rivals both stronger.  Because of game theory.

Edited by SharkSwimmer

on the subject I believe the owner should have the right to do whatever he pleases... if he wants to sit all his players then so be it.

but damnit what he is doing is a shady move....

8 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Yeah I have to take like 3 months hiatus from this site every so often...too many pissing contests.?

I understand what you're saying, where's the line? That's tricky, but if you set a tone early and let people know what you expect usually you get the intended results.

My thoughts are what you do should never purposely effect someone else negatively via shenanigans. Tanking to keep someone out due to fear of that team is playing God. You're ruining someone else's season due to fear that they might beat you. How could I look myself in the mirror and say "you're the champ" if I purposefully kept another team out because I b*****ed out and didn't want to play them. I want the competition, that way if I win there's no excuses, no asterisks and only the glory of the championship.

I just believe you play to win the game every week. Play your best team and let the cards fall where they may.

With that said if someone wanted to tank in my league technically they could if they were clever about it and maybe bench a few studs but not all of them. They could then have plausible deniability that they were just playing matchups ya know? I'm not going to go as far as to tell someone they must start this or that player however I strongly advise against this especially when it's not done clever and people just bench their whole team or leave empty spots or bench all their studs for scrubs and make obvious.

I just don't think it's right to tank and I don't believe anyone has the right, good record or not, to tank.

So far so good in my league.