lolcopter

Commissioner's Corner (2017 Edition)

Everyone has their own definition of tanking and even basic fairness. Personally, I think if a guy is starting a full lineup, no one should complain. He has to use the roster spots. 

Even real NFL teams sit their best guys when they have everything locked up for the playoffs.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:28 PM, SadFaceHappy said:

Eh, to each their own. I have one redraft, one 2-keeper (and one bs league).  Like the 2-keeper best.  Would like to add a fuller, though not complete, keeper/dynasty.  I like the added strategy of picking players for longer term.  There's also something of an emotional element. It's gonna be tough pill to swallow keeping only 2 next year.  Will be 3 or 4 players very sadly dropped.

I feel you on that! I play in a dynasty. Currently playing in a basketball one and the emotional attachment you get to the players is something out of this world. Looking to find a football one eventually 

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 12:06 PM, Shake said:

Don't bother asking that question on this forum, a lot of people on here think it's good form or good "strategy" to tank when it serves their own self interest, trust me I had a couple weeks of back and forth on this forum last year about it. In reality though, tanking is a B**** move. To intentionally not start a full lineup or even to start inferior players on purpose with the full intention of trying to lose on purpose so that someone gets a free win which then could knock another player out of the playoffs (influencing seeding) is wrong. 

A lot of people fail to put themselves in the other persons shoes because they act out of their own self interest and never think they'll be on that end of the spectrum, but what if you were on the borderline of making the playoffs and someone decides "Nah, I don't want to play that player in the playoffs so I'm going to lose on purpose." You good with that? Because anyone that tells me they are is lying. With that said, it's not just teams on the outside looking in that find tanking to be wrong, I'm in the playoffs this year, won my league last year and find it to be ridiculous, especially when called a "strategy".

Some may say that it's a strategy because you're playing to win the entire season by making that move, giving up one week to secure a better match up. In reality it's trying to play God basically, and decide who gets in and who doesn't because someone has locked everything up. No one has that right in my opinion. No one should be kicked out of the playoffs due to shenanigans such as that. You should make the playoffs because your team was good enough to make it, or miss it because they weren't but you definitely shouldn't have someone pulling the puppet strings playing God trying to decide whether or not you make the playoffs just because they want a better match up.

That's a quick way to ruin league integrity and I believe there should be some ethics to this game. I mean if it's okay to tank and knock people out of the playoffs because you don't want to play them later on then why have any rules in the first place? Why not just allow collusion while you're at it?

We used to have this issue in a 12 team league and the way around it was that whoever finishes 7th gets to decide where they pick in the draft next year (After 4 keepers so technically in the 5th round) followed by 8th place all the way down the line. Also we have 3 divisions with 4 teams per division. Team who finishes last pays an extra 100 that goes directly to the division winner. On top of that the divisions get shuffled up every year( team that finishes in 1st,2nd,3rd and 4th make up the new division, 5th,6th,7th,8th form another one etc) Everyone plays until the end as no one wants to finish in last place. Also tanking to block someone from not making it means that they'll get to decide where they pick next year making them at favorite to win it all the following year. Def. a lot of rules but so far so good.

I'm sitting Hopkins for Adams and Gurley for Henry. 

I tried to trade Adams and Henry away two weeks ago in a 2:1 swap. A particular owner got enraged and organized a veto. 

That owner now needs me to win this week for him to make the playoffs. Well.....you wanted me to keep Adams & Henry...you got it. What comes around goes around. 

2 hours ago, Tenner said:

I tried to trade Adams and Henry away two weeks ago in a 2:1 swap. A particular owner got enraged and organized a veto. 

That owner now needs me to win this week for him to make the playoffs. Well.....you wanted me to keep Adams & Henry...you got it. What comes around goes around. 

That's brilliant, man.  My hat's off to you.  Now watch Adams and Henry go off and outscore Hopkins and Gurley!

I suspect you and Mr. Veto won't be able to coexist in the same league again next year.

I like to sit my starters if I have a spot nailed down, so they are fresh & ready to go for the playoff run.

11 hours ago, Tenner said:

Out of curiosity what was the other side of the 2 for 1?

Adams/Henry for ?

12 hours ago, erick2008e said:

We used to have this issue in a 12 team league and the way around it was that whoever finishes 7th gets to decide where they pick in the draft next year (After 4 keepers so technically in the 5th round) followed by 8th place all the way down the line. Also we have 3 divisions with 4 teams per division. Team who finishes last pays an extra 100 that goes directly to the division winner. On top of that the divisions get shuffled up every year( team that finishes in 1st,2nd,3rd and 4th make up the new division, 5th,6th,7th,8th form another one etc) Everyone plays until the end as no one wants to finish in last place. Also tanking to block someone from not making it means that they'll get to decide where they pick next year making them at favorite to win it all the following year. Def. a lot of rules but so far so good.

We also have some similar things in my league in hopes of avoiding people tanking, incentives if you will, but of course that's mostly with those who miss the playoffs not those who make it.

The winner of the consolation playoffs gets to choose their pick for the next year (similar to your league), and there's a last place punishment in place.

To avoid tanking from those who are in a position to use it as a "strategy", or a b**** move as I see it, it's best to have people in the league who don't want to tank regardless of record. Also, as a commissioner letting everyone know it's not acceptable.

There's only so much as commissioner you can do without going too far. I don't believe in telling people what lineups to set, however I just ask of everyone not to act like a d*** basically. In other words what you do should not purposefully impact someone else negatively via shenanigans. It's all about intentions.

Make sure you set a lineup every week and play your lineups how you see fit but leave the shenanigans out of it because it's wrong and it'll only cause drama.  We all see each other every day at work and this is a pretty close league, there's really no need for that stuff.

No one seems to have a problem with that, no complaints about it, havent had anyone not fill a full starting lineup at all this year, which shows everyone is engaged regardless of record. 

I know not everyone is going to agree on everything in this game but I think it's possible to be successful without all the nonsense and shenanigans. It's also better for your league as it keeps league integrity in tact. Assuming you want a long running league with mostly the same people of course.

Edited by Shake

2 hours ago, Shake said:

Out of curiosity what was the other side of the 2 for 1?

Adams/Henry for ?

Fournette. 

This is extreme procrastination as we've been "trying" to get this handled since week 1, but here goes...

We drafted the wednesday afternoon before TNF during week 1, just in time to play week 1 thursday. For whatever reason, Yahoo was showing our first matchups as not starting until Week 2 on the "weekly matchup" page, yet on our "my team" page it rightfully showed our week 1 opponent and matchup. After the week was over, our standings were still 0-0 despite the week 1 wins and losses. We emailed Yahoo several times asking how to manually add in our week 1 Ws and Ls but have not received a response. To date, we still don't have our Week 1 matchup Ws and Ls in there. Now, we are panicking in getting this right in Week 13, because it has severe playoff implications for people that won and loss in Week 1 and are right on the bubble. Anyone know how to make these changes without relying on Yahoo to get back to us? Thank you!

Looks like I have a 4-way tie in one division with 3 making the playoffs. First tie-breaker being head-to-head record and 2nd being most point scored. Any one know of a good playoff scenario site I can use?

1 hour ago, wonderbread said:

What do you guys use for your first tie breaker to get into the playoffs? Total points scored or head to head records?

14 teams 

8 make it 

top two seeds awarded to div winners 

rest of bracket is by record with ALL tie breakers being total points scored, as total points scored is the best way to measure team strength

Hey guys, need a ruling on a collusion call.

Standard, ppr, 12 team. Been around for 5-6 years a pretty involved league of all friends. We are on Yahoo chat. That chat obviously at times is hilarious, crude, etc.

Myself as commissioner made a joke on the chat to the guy who had Carson Wentz.

I said...hey everyone still left in the playoffs. You should totally go and pick up any decent QB to block X from getting one, lol...

And then some other guys chimed in and laughed. Said to pick up Vince Young or some other funny QB options.

Well, the guy is all pissy and said I created collusion on him. Calling me out and saying I'm being a bad commissioner for doing that.

What do you guys think? Everyone else already had 2 QBs and didn't affect actual WW action. It was a joke and the remaining guys in the playoffs were worried more about their own teams.

2 minutes ago, North40 said:

Standard, ppr, 12 team. Been around for 5-6 years a pretty involved league of all friends. We are on Yahoo chat. That chat obviously at times is hilarious, crude, etc.

I said...hey everyone still left in the playoffs. You should totally go and pick up any decent QB to block X from getting one, lol...

And then some other guys chimed in and laughed. Said to pick up Vince Young or some other funny QB options.

Well, the guy is all pissy and said I created collusion on him. Calling me out and saying I'm being a bad commissioner for doing that.

What do you guys think? Everyone else already had 2 QBs and didn't affect actual WW action. It was a joke and the remaining guys in the playoffs were worried more about their own teams.

i'd say overall there isn't really anything to be done here other then think before you speak i guess.  I can't really understand what sort of ruling would be done here as well. 

i'd suggest just thinking of this as if it was you who lost your starting QB, to then see your league in the chat publicly talking about snaking the current QBs off the wire to block ya, and how that would have made you feel.    If your league is remotely competent, they prob didn't need you or anyone else putting forth tips in the chat. Add in the owner being upset over losing a really good FF asset, plus possibly money on the line, i can see how this bothers some.  But i also can see how many people simply don't care.  Its all prob case sensitive and league sensitive i guess.    Overall its prob just bad FF etiquette and i think at this point all you can do is apologize and move on.

I'm a commissioner of my league and lost Wentz. Two of the guys remaining in the playoffs were joking they would grab some guys to block me (I have $0 FAAB left and they have $20 or so). When the waiver wire time came, one guy (on the other side of the final 4 from me and not in need of a QB) grabbed Garapolo for a buck and stopped me from grabbing him. I grabbed Foles and it all worked out, whatever.

But when they brought it up I didn't say "you can't do that" or it's "collusion". I realized that if it's within the rules of the league, then it's fine. Maybe in bad taste, but it's not illegal and it's not collusion. I played it off and said "I have plenty of options, whatever" and prayed that they didn't grab 5 QBs. If you put yourself in that position by not having a backup QB then it's on you if people take advantage of that situation within the rules of the league. You have no God-given right to the next best player when someone gets injured. If it was an RB, do you think the guy would have the same problem? Hell no.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:51 AM, North40 said:

That's really the only talking point here.  Like the previous poster stated, he was probably frustrated and you were an easy target.  If he was able to get the player he wanted he should move on.

In order for it to be collusion there has to be some unknown agreement between teams. You jokingly saying off the cuff to horde QBs is basic knowledge and in no way collusion at all. That dude needs to grow up and stop being such a baby

edit: fwiw as commish in my league we roster limit QB, TE, and D/ST to 3 for this very reason

Edited by lolcopter

Week 17 championship matchup (I know) for me next week and the owner I’m facing wants to chop the 1st and 2nd place winnings. I don’t really want to because we’ve came this far, it’s a pretty even matchup (it appears both our lineups will be a full go next week), and I don’t really care if I miss out on the difference between second place prize money and the chopped pot prize money. I’d rather just gamble and go for the full first place. Anyone ever encountered this situation and what would you do if you were in this spot?

11 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

Week 17 championship matchup (I know) for me next week and the owner I’m facing wants to chop the 1st and 2nd place winnings. I don’t really want to because we’ve came this far, it’s a pretty even matchup (it appears both our lineups will be a full go next week), and I don’t really care if I miss out on the difference between second place prize money and the chopped pot prize money. I’d rather just gamble and go for the full first place. Anyone ever encountered this situation and what would you do if you were in this spot?

I would 100% play it out. I wouldn't ever consider a chopped pot and a tie for first place. You are under no obligation at all to agree to such a far-fetched request. 

I don’t think it’s that far fetched, happens all the time on final table poker tourneys. You certainly don’t have to do it if you don’t wanna though

28 minutes ago, Corleone said:

I would 100% play it out. I wouldn't ever consider a chopped pot and a tie for first place. You are under no obligation at all to agree to such a far-fetched request. 

If there is a pretty wide gap I can see chopping - I chopped the last time I was in the ship, it was a pretty wide split like $1200-500 I think we did like 950-750 so winner still got more, but it wasnt as dramatic and even if we split 50-50, you would still play it out for the championship to see who is the league champ.  

On 12/20/2017 at 11:05 AM, Flynfiesta6 said:

That's really the only talking point here.  Like the previous poster stated, he was probably frustrated and you were an easy target.  If he was able to get the player he wanted he should move on.

Were you playing him?  Its certainly not collusion, more like kind of an etiquette or unwritten rule type of deal where I feel like saying certain things league-wide, when it impacts a particular owner, is kind of like in an auction, where you are telling people to bid people up or call out people to try and cost certain guys money, etc.  Its like if you want to bid me up great, go ahead, but dont manage other people and tell them to do it.  Kind of same thing with Waivers and pick ups.  Im sure you meant nothing by it, but it can be a sore subject for some.  

On 12/3/2017 at 8:04 AM, ManImCool said:

This is extreme procrastination as we've been "trying" to get this handled since week 1, but here goes...

We drafted the wednesday afternoon before TNF during week 1, just in time to play week 1 thursday. For whatever reason, Yahoo was showing our first matchups as not starting until Week 2 on the "weekly matchup" page, yet on our "my team" page it rightfully showed our week 1 opponent and matchup. After the week was over, our standings were still 0-0 despite the week 1 wins and losses. We emailed Yahoo several times asking how to manually add in our week 1 Ws and Ls but have not received a response. To date, we still don't have our Week 1 matchup Ws and Ls in there. Now, we are panicking in getting this right in Week 13, because it has severe playoff implications for people that won and loss in Week 1 and are right on the bubble. Anyone know how to make these changes without relying on Yahoo to get back to us? Thank you!

Can you manually change the playoff seedings?  LIke what if some were on record and some spots on points?  Should be a way to manually change standings/seedings

On 12/5/2017 at 7:55 PM, The Gridiron Assassin said:

14 teams 

8 make it 

top two seeds awarded to div winners 

rest of bracket is by record with ALL tie breakers being total points scored, as total points scored is the best way to measure team strength

Total points, never head to head, too many variables...