lolcopter

Commissioner's Corner (2017 Edition)

23 minutes ago, CooL said:

Ah, that would be the argument FOR going to decimal scoring, which is a lot easier to get people to agree to than these yardage bonuses.  We played without decimals our first year, but that's because we didn't know what the heck we were doing.  Playing with decimals also allows for much closer matchups and practically never a tie.  We had somebody lose by 0.01 this year.  0.01!  That's 3.6 inches, assume 1 yard equals 0.1 points.

There can be hidden yardage and bad beats in the leagues that do the 10 yard scoring vs decimal per yard scoring - our league has 6 WR/RB/TE that start each week, lets say you have a "bad beat" week in a per 10 yard league and the avg of your 6 is ending in 8, thats nearly 50 yards of Rushing/Receiving you are not getting points for and if your opponent has a favorable week, where he barely crossed over those 10 yards and its a close game, it can matter.  We prefer to just take that out of the equation. 

One discussion weve been having is the negative points discussion and how to incorporate them:

* Negative points for picks?  More for pick 6?  more for per pick so like 2nd pick more negative than 1st?    Discussion is whether the Qb is truly to blame on so many picks?

* Fumbles?  Fumble straight negative or fumbles lost?

* Drops?  

9 minutes ago, parrothead said:

8 years and we have not had a tie, we have had some .1 games and there have been at least 2 playoff games that were decided by less than 1 point through the years.  One year my friend and I were playing and were on the verge of a tie, we were tied with 30 seconds to go, a bunch of people are texting, we are gonna have a tie...and then his QB Matt Ryan lost 2 yards "rushing" when he knelt on the ball and I beat him by .2 

Ah, maybe I misread your post.  So you do use decimal scoring?  I think that certainly would be the way to go.  I don't get why people don't use decimal scoring.  As you mentioned, 98 yards should be 9.8 points, not only 9.

Anybody in leagues that allow trades of future draft picks?  I've always wanted to consider, but the argument always is "what happens if that person leaves", which I suppose can happen in any keeper league.  We have a longstanding league but over the years for various reasons, we've had to replace an owner.  I suppose if somebody knew they were not going to play next year, they could trade away their first round pick and not suffer any consequences.  And then the poor schmuck that inherits that team would be severely handicapped.  How do commish's that have these future draft picks involved in trades handle a situation such as this?

Edited by CooL

3 minutes ago, CooL said:

Ah, maybe I misread your post.  So you do use decimal scoring?  I think that certainly would be the way to go.  I don't get why people don't use decimal scoring.  As you mentioned, 98 yards should be 9.8 points, not only 9.

Anybody in leagues that allow trades of future draft picks?  I've always wanted to consider, but the argument always is "what happens if that person leaves", which I suppose can happen in any keeper league.  We have a longstanding league but over the years for various reasons, we've had to replace an owner.  I suppose if somebody knew they were not going to play next year, they could trade away their first round pick and not suffer any consequences.  And then the poor schmuck that inherits that team would be severely handicapped.  How do commish's that have these future draft picks involved in trades handle a situation such as this?

We require a 50$ deposit towards next year dues if you trade draft picks.

17 minutes ago, CooL said:

I think a lot of leagues are double flawed, that was kind of the point I was making, they dont use decimal scoring and give the arbitrary bonus so if you get close to that number it really doesnt make a lot of sense.  

18 minutes ago, CooL said:

I play in 2 main leagues, one is an auction league where you can deal next years auction dollars, its only a 1-keeper league and the keeper has to be your own drafted (not traded for or acquire on waivers player).  Its like a $125 entry fee I agree with other poster and have been advocating for this since every year the person who gives money away has left the league, which is...keep $50 off anything they win, it goes towards next years fees, if you come back, great you are $50 in, if you dont, it allows the league to discount the flawed roster for a year for $75 to the new owner. 

24 minutes ago, CooL said:

Its always a tough one in keeper leagues or any league where future commodities are part of trading.  

34 minutes ago, CooL said:

I think that certainly would be the way to go

I only play on ESPN and their "standard" leagues don't use decimal, even though their media puppet swears by it. 

I wonder if they will ever change that to be their new "standard"?  I think if they did, the 1pt for every 10 yards would rapidly become extinct. 

Any other sites already doing this as a standard scoring format?

1 hour ago, CooL said:

We used to do that for trading of draft picks (before moving to auction). Our rule was that if you traded a draft pick, you were committing to play for the next season. We didn't require a deposit for the next season (though I like that idea too), but it was never an issue with anyone trying to back out. 

1 hour ago, parrothead said:

One discussion weve been having is the negative points discussion and how to incorporate them:

* Negative points for picks?  More for pick 6?  more for per pick so like 2nd pick more negative than 1st?    Discussion is whether the Qb is truly to blame on so many picks?

* Drops?  

Does your league not have negative points for INT's now? I thought that was a standard across leagues (but then again, everything is customizable). We do -3 for any type of INT. I've brought up the idea of -6 for a pick 6, but that was shot down by most of the rest of the league.

Fumbles lost are -3 for us as well. 

I am not a fan of the idea of any type of scoring for drops. That's a way too slippery slope IMO. 

On a related note for pick 6's (or any type of defensive score), we do not charge those points against the defense. For example, Jay Cutler throws a pick 6...the Miami defense is not charged with 6 points allowed. Same would be true for Cutler getting sacked, fumbling, and the ball being recovered for a fumble return TD. The extra point does count against the D though, as nothing can be done about that. 

Oh also, we have this for negative points on defense...
--500 - 999 YDSs = -2 points

28 - 34 DSTPAs = -4 points 
35 - 44 DSTPAs = -8 points 
45 - 99 DSTPAs = -12 points 

Edited by Corleone

1 minute ago, Corleone said:

Does your league not have negative points for INT's now? I thought that was a standard across leagues (but then again, everything is customizable). We do -3 for any type of INT. I've brought up the idea of -6 for a pick 6, but that was shot down by most of the rest of the league.

Fumbles lost are -3 for us as well. 

I am not a fan of the idea of any type of scoring for drops. That's a way too slippery slope IMO. 

On a related note for pick 6's (or any type of defensive score), we do not charge those points against the defense. For example, Jay Cutler throws a pick 6...the Miami defense is not charged with 6 points allowed. Same would be true for Cutler getting sacked, fumbling, and the ball being recovered for a fumble return TD. The extra point does count against the D though, as nothing can be done about that. 

We have -2 for picks now, but the conversation has been that if you are gonna have negative points for picks, should you be consistent and have fumbles and other negatives, especially since probably 1/2 the picks are usually wrong route, tipped balls, etc.  

2 minutes ago, parrothead said:

We have -2 for picks now, but the conversation has been that if you are gonna have negative points for picks, should you be consistent and have fumbles and other negatives, especially since probably 1/2 the picks are usually wrong route, tipped balls, etc.  

Added this as well via edit, after your post:

Oh also, we have this for negative points on defense...
--500 - 999 YDSs = -2 points

28 - 34 DSTPAs = -4 points 
35 - 44 DSTPAs = -8 points 
45 - 99 DSTPAs = -12 points 

Whatever a leagues does, I think INT's and fumbles lost should be the same negative points (we use -3). 

2 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

1)  We do have an IR spot in my keeper league and we use it however Yahoo allows us to use it.  Originally you could only put a player there that was ACTUALLY on IR.  Then over the last couple years it seemed to just allow you to put anyone marked with an "O" (For Out) designation and you could basically gain an extra bench spot to help float you through BYEs, etc.

2)  My league has scoring bonuses.  RB / WR / TE - 100 / 150 / 200 yards = 2 / 3 / 4 points; QB - 300 / 375 / 450 = same.  Don't do long TD Bonuses though.  Definitely adds to enjoyment.  Actively rooting in garbage time of every game for 1 more reception for 8 yards to hit the bonus, 1 dump off pass to get 6 yards, etc.  Yes, it's fantasy football.  Insult to injury is the name of the game.  As a Todd Gurley owner in this year's playoffs I dominated both of my opponents.  I did receive bonuses, but the weren't even necessary after he destroyed last 2 weeks of fantasy playoffs.

For #1, we have IR as well, and only allow it for players on actual IR. Now that players can come back from IR during the season and since we're a keeper league, there can be a strategy to how to use the spot. 

For #2, we have similar bonus scoring: RB/WR/TE get 3 bonus points for 100 yards, 4 points for 150, and 5 points for 200 yards. Then for QB's, it is 3 points for 300 yards, and 5 points for 450 yards. We love having this bonus scoring and totally agree it adds to overall enjoyment. 

In non-decimal scoring this year, 12 team league, we had 4 ties. We actually had a tie this year in the 3rd-place playoff matchup, and the tiebreaker was incoming playoff seed, which is kind of lame as there was money riding on that spot.

Moving to decimal scoring next season is actually one of the changes I'm proposing to the league. 

On 1/5/2018 at 3:07 PM, parrothead said:

* Drops?  

We do - 3 for picks but 6 for all TD's, even QBs. I like the - 3 punishment. 

We do - 2 for fumbles lost. Maybe adding a - 1 for all fumbles could be interesting. I'll ask my league their opinions on that. 

As for drops, I'm not sure if yahoo records those and therefore wouldn't be able to score those. 

On 1/5/2018 at 3:08 PM, CooL said:

Trading future draft picks is MUST in keeper leagues. Selling the farm for title runs is a big part of the league. 

If your league is good enough it will fill. We've had a 3+ person wait list since origins and had to expand to 14 teams because of it. 

The only teams that ever opened up were in rough shape, but that's the kind of "franchises" that will always become available. Nobody ever does badass and just quits. The franchises that become available are always in need of work. 

If non keeper definitely don't allow draft pick trades though 

7 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Trading future draft picks is MUST in keeper leagues. Selling the farm for title runs is a big part of the league. 

If your league is good enough it will fill. We've had a 3+ person wait list since origins and had to expand to 14 teams because of it. 

The only teams that ever opened up were in rough shape, but that's the kind of "franchises" that will always become available. Nobody ever does badass and just quits. The franchises that become available are always in need of work. 

Not sure the logic there, if its a keeper league, the sellout is the keepers you have to deal picks are picks...picks would allow one who is out of it and having a terrible season to acquire picks for the following year...

37 minutes ago, parrothead said:

Not sure the logic there, if its a keeper league, the sellout is the keepers you have to deal picks are picks...picks would allow one who is out of it and having a terrible season to acquire picks for the following year...

I don't understand what you said. 

I will comment anyway thinking I understand enough though. 

"Selling the Farm" - I'm saying this with regards to like a "farm system" for baseball. People making title runs often spending 1st and 2nd round picks for today talent to help them in title runs. The farm being their draft picks that they'd use to acquire future talent. 

And those teams selling are often the few loser tankers that are trying to get rid of players they don't deem as long term viable keepers and getting draft picks to fuel up the next season. 

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares

1 minute ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I don't understand what you said. 

I guess my question is Im not sure why you cant trade picks in a re-draft league?   Im actually in a "keeper" league (not my main league, not my idea and not the one I commish) and I put it in quotes because each team only gets 1 keeper and it has to be someone you drafted yourself in the auction, cant be acquired, so even having  a great keeper potential cant net you anything in trades, but...in that league you can trade next seasons auction dollars.  So I acquired Shady and Matt Ryan this year for $35 in next years auction.  So I will have 165 and he will have 235.  

A lot of the trades made for next years dollars really have nothing to do with the fact we get one keeper because you cant trade for a keeper anyway, so just seeing philisophically why you wouldnt want future picks traded if it wasnt a keeper league?

16 minutes ago, parrothead said:

I guess my question is Im not sure why you cant trade picks in a re-draft league?   Im actually in a "keeper" league (not my main league, not my idea and not the one I commish) and I put it in quotes because each team only gets 1 keeper and it has to be someone you drafted yourself in the auction, cant be acquired, so even having  a great keeper potential cant net you anything in trades, but...in that league you can trade next seasons auction dollars.  So I acquired Shady and Matt Ryan this year for $35 in next years auction.  So I will have 165 and he will have 235.  

A lot of the trades made for next years dollars really have nothing to do with the fact we get one keeper because you cant trade for a keeper anyway, so just seeing philisophically why you wouldnt want future picks traded if it wasnt a keeper league?

You'd have to have a reallllly tight knit group that has been together a while for that to work. Everyone would just be trading next years picks then leaving, and it is impossible to fill the spot.

Redraft leagues trading the future is setting up for disaster. 

What if a guy goes all out then doesn't win the title? 

What's their incentive to come back?  I guess the deposit thing on next season might work if they were in the money, but what if they faced Todd Gurley in the playoffs and missed the money? I could definitely see them not returning, even with friends. 

Then you gotta find someone willing to take on a depleted redraft team. What if you can't get it filled? Then you have to reverse the offseason trades to fill it and the tanker is angry and won't come back. 

If you can make it work and it's fun then go for it. I'd never try it though myself 

We play this for scoring. It's been this way for 8 years. We've never had a tie. (Close .1) Tiebreaker is total QB points for that game by each team. 

Future Draft Picks can be traded. We have rules for that too to ensure a team can't totally sellout and then dip the league. Fourteen teams, haven't had an opening in three years and a waiting list exists to get in. 

Total Trades in season this year: 74 

The off season is a free for all after all the picks get moved to their rightful owners, that were traded in season. The picks are tracked in a spread sheet that's posted to the league FB page. 

It's basically action city. If you're in it towards the deadline, you're buying pieces to make a run, If you're not a contender you''re selling anything that isn't bolted to the floor for picks next year. 

Prior to this year, the title game was decided by a total of 9 points in the previous three years combined. 

SCORING
Passing
Every 5 passing yards (PY5) 0.2   Each Pass Completed (PC) 0.3
TD Pass (PTD) 6   Interceptions Thrown (INT) -4
2pt Passing Conversion (2PC) 2   Sacked (SK) -2
Rushing
Rushing Yards (RY) 0.1   TD Rush (RTD) 6
2pt Rushing Conversion (2PR) 2   100-199 yard rushing game (RY100) 5
200+ yard rushing game (RY200) 10    
Receiving
Receiving Yards (REY) 0.1   Each reception (REC) 1
TD Reception (RETD) 6   2pt Receiving Conversion (2PRE) 2
100-199 yard receiving game (REY100) 5   200+ yard receiving game (REY200) 10
Miscellaneous
Every 10 kickoff return yards (KR10) 0.5   Every 10 punt return yards (PR10) 0.5
Kickoff Return TD (KRTD) 6   Punt Return TD (PRTD) 6
Fumble Recovered for TD (FTD) 6   Total Fumbles Lost (FUML) -4
Interception Return TD (INTTD) 6   Fumble Return TD (FRTD) 6
Blocked Punt or FG return for TD (BLKKRTD) 6    
Kicking
Each PAT Made (PAT) 1   Each PAT Missed (PATM) -1
FG Made (0-39 yards) (FG0) 3   FG Made (40-49 yards) (FG40) 4
FG Made (50+ yards) (FG50) 6   FG Missed (0-39 yards) (FGM0) -2
Defensive Players
Each Sack (SK) 2   Total Tackles (TK) 1
Blocked Punt, PAT or FG (BLKK) 3   Each Interception (INT) 4
Each Fumble Recovered (FR) 2   Each Fumble Forced (FF) 2
Each Safety (SF) 2   Passes Defensed (PD) 1
Team Defense / Special Teams
Every 10 kickoff return yards (KR10) 0.5   Every 10 punt return yards (PR10) 0.5
Each Sack (SK) 1   Total Tackles (TK) 0.1
Blocked Punt or FG return for TD (BLKKRTD) 6   Blocked Punt, PAT or FG (BLKK) 3
Each Interception (INT) 2   Each Fumble Recovered (FR) 1
Each Fumble Forced (FF) 1   Each Safety (SF) 1
0 points allowed (PA0) 10   1-6 points allowed (PA1) 4
7-13 points allowed (PA7) 3   28-34 points allowed (PA28) -3
35-45 points allowed (PA35) -4   46+ points allowed (PA46) -5
Less than 100 total yards allowed (YA100) 5   100-199 total yards allowed (YA199) 4
200-299 total yards allowed (YA299) 3   400-449 total yards allowed (YA449) -2
450-499 total yards allowed (YA499) -3   500-549 total yards allowed (YA549) -4
550+ total yards allowed (YA550) -5   2pt Return (2PTRET) 2
1pt Safety (1PSF)

4 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

3 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

And those teams selling are often the few loser tankers that are trying to get rid of players they don't deem as long term viable keepers and getting draft picks to fuel up the next season. 

3 hours ago, parrothead said:

Dreams, are we talking "keeper" (meaning one or two or three keepers for next year) or dynasty?  Seems like you are in a dynasty league.

I'm like parrothead, I'm in a league where you get one keeper pick for next year.  So it's practically a redraft, just with one keeper pick. But we can keep anyone, even players picked up off waivers or in trades.  So that's usually where the draft pick trade comes up.  Team trying to make a playoff run trades his first round pick for next season to the last place guy who has Mark Ingram who isn't going to make the playoffs.  Last place guy figures that a first round pick next year is better than keeping Mark Ingram next year, since in our case he was drafted in the fourth round this year so he'd be kept at a third round price next year.  

I don't see why trading draft picks in non-dynasty leagues doesn't work.  The problem that I brought up is indeed what happens if somebody leaves after making the trade.  I like the idea of requiring next year's deposit if you make such a trade.  Great solution and incentive not to leave since your entry is already paid for.

6 hours ago, CooL said:

Dreams, are we talking "keeper" (meaning one or two or three keepers for next year) or dynasty?  Seems like you are in a dynasty league.

I'm like parrothead, I'm in a league where you get one keeper pick for next year.  So it's practically a redraft, just with one keeper pick. But we can keep anyone, even players picked up off waivers or in trades.  So that's usually where the draft pick trade comes up.  Team trying to make a playoff run trades his first round pick for next season to the last place guy who has Mark Ingram who isn't going to make the playoffs.  Last place guy figures that a first round pick next year is better than keeping Mark Ingram next year, since in our case he was drafted in the fourth round this year so he'd be kept at a third round price next year.  

I don't see why trading draft picks in non-dynasty leagues doesn't work.  The problem that I brought up is indeed what happens if somebody leaves after making the trade.  I like the idea of requiring next year's deposit if you make such a trade.  Great solution and incentive not to leave since your entry is already paid for.

I agree that I think the deposit thing is the only way I'd do it.  Otherwise I foresee big problems.

In keepers / dynasty leagues if you approach the season with lack of draft ammo you can go into the season with a vision to build for the future.

In re-draft if you approach the season with lack of draft ammo you go into the season hoping to get lucky and might be quick to throw in the towel.

I'm not in a dynasty and I'm not in a traditional keeper.  I have a different setup from majority of leagues I see on the interwebs.  When I post online people criticize the setup, but we're going into our 10th season in 2018 and everyone loves it so I have no desire to ever change it.  As long as your league is happy then don't change, and if you can get committed people to trading picks in a re-draft league that love it, then that's all that matters.

9 hours ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

We play this for scoring. It's been this way for 8 years. We've never had a tie. (Close .1) Tiebreaker is total QB points for that game by each team. 

Future Draft Picks can be traded. We have rules for that too to ensure a team can't totally sellout and then dip the league. Fourteen teams, haven't had an opening in three years and a waiting list exists to get in. 

Total Trades in season this year: 74 

The off season is a free for all after all the picks get moved to their rightful owners, that were traded in season. The picks are tracked in a spread sheet that's posted to the league FB page. 

It's basically action city. If you're in it towards the deadline, you're buying pieces to make a run, If you're not a contender you''re selling anything that isn't bolted to the floor for picks next year. 

Prior to this year, the title game was decided by a total of 9 points in the previous three years combined. 

SCORING
Passing
Every 5 passing yards (PY5) 0.2   Each Pass Completed (PC) 0.3
TD Pass (PTD) 6   Interceptions Thrown (INT) -4
2pt Passing Conversion (2PC) 2   Sacked (SK) -2
Rushing
Rushing Yards (RY) 0.1   TD Rush (RTD) 6
2pt Rushing Conversion (2PR) 2   100-199 yard rushing game (RY100) 5
200+ yard rushing game (RY200) 10    
Receiving
Receiving Yards (REY) 0.1   Each reception (REC) 1
TD Reception (RETD) 6   2pt Receiving Conversion (2PRE) 2
100-199 yard receiving game (REY100) 5   200+ yard receiving game (REY200) 10
Miscellaneous
Fumble Recovered for TD (FTD) 6   Total Fumbles Lost (FUML) -4
Blocked Punt or FG return for TD (BLKKRTD) 6    
Kicking
Each PAT Made (PAT) 1   Each PAT Missed (PATM) -1
FG Made (0-39 yards) (FG0) 3   FG Made (40-49 yards) (FG40) 4
FG Made (50+ yards) (FG50) 6   FG Missed (0-39 yards) (FGM0) -2
Defensive Players
Each Sack (SK) 2   Total Tackles (TK) 1
Blocked Punt, PAT or FG (BLKK) 3   Each Interception (INT) 4
Each Fumble Recovered (FR) 2   Each Fumble Forced (FF) 2
Each Safety (SF) 2   Passes Defensed (PD) 1
Team Defense / Special Teams
Each Sack (SK) 1   Total Tackles (TK) 0.1
Blocked Punt or FG return for TD (BLKKRTD) 6   Blocked Punt, PAT or FG (BLKK) 3
Each Interception (INT) 2   Each Fumble Recovered (FR) 1
Each Fumble Forced (FF) 1   Each Safety (SF) 1
0 points allowed (PA0) 10   1-6 points allowed (PA1) 4
7-13 points allowed (PA7) 3   28-34 points allowed (PA28) -3
35-45 points allowed (PA35) -4   46+ points allowed (PA46) -5
Less than 100 total yards allowed (YA100) 5   100-199 total yards allowed (YA199) 4
200-299 total yards allowed (YA299) 3   400-449 total yards allowed (YA449) -2
450-499 total yards allowed (YA499) -3   500-549 total yards allowed (YA549) -4
550+ total yards allowed (YA550) -5   2pt Return (2PTRET) 2
1pt Safety (1PSF)

PPC leagues are dumb. No offense.

Your kickers score way too many points as well.

Edited by dmb3684