lolcopter

Commissioner's Corner (2017 Edition)

On 9/28/2017 at 10:11 PM, Szer0 said:

Can you guys give your input...so that I can show it to these jokers?

I am 3-0 and look at the s--- these guys are trying to stir?

I am on NFL.com (by their choice) that allows bench players to be dropped within its system rules.

I've never set an illegal lineup... every Sunday. I will have a lineup including D and K.... no injured. HEALTHY STARTABLE players

I've had bad experiences of people just removing me from the league without refunding my money... over their lack of understanding of the platform they use.

Seriously...

FYI by players: it's cuffs like Joe Williams/Branden Oliver etc... hence if they did nothing I'd drop them for BEST available Defense or Kicker before gametime

wusseh.jpg

You are right-  the system allows this and you are breaking no rules . 

But...I think the system is flawed.    To be able to drop players from your roster AFTER their game has started makes no sense to me.    If they are on your bench and unable to be used by another team-  It should cost you a roster spot for that week.   It’s dirty...but that is the way NFL.com- and I believe Yahoo work.    ESPN does not allow this.   

Tell them to switch platforms next season if they don’t like it.   But don’t hate on you for working within the constraints of chosen platform.  

Edited by Impreza178

I see no issue here at all.  I'm glad I play on a platform that allows me to drop bench players after game has started.  

If you have issue with that and don't want to leave platforms you should introduce a rule that you pay for all adds / drops made through the season and that money should go to regular season points leader.  It won't stop moves, but it will inhibit guys from doing like 6 moves a week and it rewards your regular season points winner who often doesn't win it all (in my leagues at least).  

Do any of your leagues allow draft pick trading? My keeper league of 8 years just voted-in draft pick trading this season. We now have teams that are giving-up on the season and trying to trade for high draft picks. Other managers are now upset about one team stockpiling 1st round picks for next season and complaining to me (the commissioner). Some managers are asking that we put a limit on what round of pick can be traded (i.e. no 1st/2nd round picks). Does your league have this problem or anything you suggest?

1 hour ago, PistolPete87 said:

Do any of your leagues allow draft pick trading? My keeper league of 8 years just voted-in draft pick trading this season. We now have teams that are giving-up on the season and trying to trade for high draft picks. Other managers are now upset about one team stockpiling 1st round picks for next season and complaining to me (the commissioner). Some managers are asking that we put a limit on what round of pick can be traded (i.e. no 1st/2nd round picks). Does your league have this problem or anything you suggest?

lol, I've been working on solving this problem for years.  We have a huge rule book.  It's mostly great, but I have 1 or 2 complete F heads per season that make things pretty tough.  

Tanking is going to be your biggest concern moving forward, not draft pick acquiring, although they do go hand in hand.

It's awesome, but there's so much regulation that goes into it.  Once you get it rolling, you will love it though.

LSS to answer original question - we definitely allow any and all draft pick trading.

2 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

lol, I've been working on solving this problem for years.  We have a huge rule book.  It's mostly great, but I have 1 or 2 complete F heads per season that make things pretty tough.  

Tanking is going to be your biggest concern moving forward, not draft pick acquiring, although they do go hand in hand.

It's awesome, but there's so much regulation that goes into it.  Once you get it rolling, you will love it though.

LSS to answer original question - we definitely allow any and all draft pick trading.

Are there any particular rules you have put in place that "helps" prevent this problem? I'm looking for ideas to present to the guys to appease everyone.

4 hours ago, PistolPete87 said:

I am a firm believer draft pick trading and keeper leagues are not worth the aggravation..... I really hate when an owner gives up in season then starts trading good pieces for a better keeper. 

4 hours ago, PistolPete87 said:

Yes but we do draft slot trading only and not individual picks themselves 

20 minutes ago, PistolPete87 said:

Are there any particular rules you have put in place that "helps" prevent this problem? I'm looking for ideas to present to the guys to appease everyone.

I got a rule book I'm willing to share, but I always say I want honest and constructive feedback if I pass it out and the last 2 people did neither. 

If you're interested DM me. But you gotta give feedback. 

And if you have ideas that you think make your league better I also prefer those past along as well. 

A recent debate in my league started up surrounding our requirement of an active lineup and its conflict with who can be dropped.  

Backstory - we really encourage/pressure owners to having an active lineup, getting injured guys out of there, etc.  

So a couple weeks back, owner had TE on bye, his other one was looking fine but just in case he picked up a TE, that played in the Thursday night game, the one on his roster seemed fine, so he didnt play the TE he picked up off the WW.  Then..come Friday, his TE he was planning to play gets deemed as out for the weekend.   The owner believes that he should be able to drop the TE who has already played (obviously cant drop anyone from active lineup who played) because he was on his bench and it didnt matter anyway. 

My counter to this was that once a player plays, whether starter or not, he is locked.  In part my thought is if a player on your bench gets hurt in a game, you could in theory jump the waiver process by dropping him and grabbing a lottery ticket who has not yet played, why wouldnt you do that?   His counter was that he is not going to drop someone of value just to fill his lineup, he understands my point, but that this should only be for injury purposes to complete your line-up not to game the system. 

Basically his proposal is this (would have to be approved by commish so no shennanigans as the override would have to occur):

You can add a player and drop a player who has already played but you did not start, so long as that player did not get some injury that completely changes his outlook AND that said picked up player MUST be started, cant do it just to block another owner, etc. 

Still dont know if I agree, I think you kind of have to be outfront of these things, but I guess so long as its a legit pickup, would rather have owners trying to make sure that they dont have dead spots.  Any thoughts out there?  

Seems like you’re at the mercy of whatever site you play on. Yahoo I believe let’s you drop bench players who have already played, but ESPN does not. While he does have a valid criticism, he might just have to take his lumps on this one. Doesn’t seem fair to everyone else that the LM makes an exception in this one scenario.

wish that option could be turned on in ESPN league if you wanted it

6 minutes ago, parrothead said:

A recent debate in my league started up surrounding our requirement of an active lineup and its conflict with who can be dropped.  

Backstory - we really encourage/pressure owners to having an active lineup, getting injured guys out of there, etc.  

So a couple weeks back, owner had TE on bye, his other one was looking fine but just in case he picked up a TE, that played in the Thursday night game, the one on his roster seemed fine, so he didnt play the TE he picked up off the WW.  Then..come Friday, his TE he was planning to play gets deemed as out for the weekend.   The owner believes that he should be able to drop the TE who has already played (obviously cant drop anyone from active lineup who played) because he was on his bench and it didnt matter anyway. 

My counter to this was that once a player plays, whether starter or not, he is locked.  In part my thought is if a player on your bench gets hurt in a game, you could in theory jump the waiver process by dropping him and grabbing a lottery ticket who has not yet played, why wouldnt you do that?   His counter was that he is not going to drop someone of value just to fill his lineup, he understands my point, but that this should only be for injury purposes to complete your line-up not to game the system. 

Basically his proposal is this (would have to be approved by commish so no shennanigans as the override would have to occur):

You can add a player and drop a player who has already played but you did not start, so long as that player did not get some injury that completely changes his outlook AND that said picked up player MUST be started, cant do it just to block another owner, etc. 

Still dont know if I agree, I think you kind of have to be outfront of these things, but I guess so long as its a legit pickup, would rather have owners trying to make sure that they dont have dead spots.  Any thoughts out there?  

To clarify, he had a player on his bench that played in the Thursday game and he wants to drop him for someone on Friday?  If so I don't see why this is not allowed, assuming the player he adds did not play yet

Did not know this is not allowed on ESPN, always played on Yahoo and never thought twice about it

EDIT: Assuming I understand this right, this also is in line with the common strategy of dropping your kicker for a handcuff RB playing in the Thursday game in the event the starter gets injured.  If not, then you just drop the handcuff RB and pick a kicker back up prior to Sunday

Edited by Novaray

21 minutes ago, parrothead said:

I agree that you're at the mercy of the site.  ESPN you cant drop someone after their game is locked, on yahoo you can drop guys who weren't in your lineup.  What site are you using?

You didn't mention any punishments for not having a full lineup, and I would not punish this guy because he just f'ed up understanding website mechanics, and wasn't being a delinquent.  If he's just demanding a player be dropped, I just don't see how you go against whatever he's able to do via the site.  It doesn't seem like something you want to have to monitor every week. 

20 minutes ago, Novaray said:

EDIT: Assuming I understand this right, this also is in line with the common strategy of dropping your kicker for a handcuff RB playing in the Thursday game in the event the starter gets injured.  If not, then you just drop the handcuff RB and pick a kicker back up prior to Sunday

I mean you should certainly be able to do that if your league allows for it, but I wouldn't find this strategy as essential to preserve if the website/rules don't allow for it.   

49 minutes ago, parrothead said:

I think you are creating a nightmare for yourself as an LM.  I play and LM on ESPN and based on ESPN's league settings I wouldn't allow this to be a policy moving forward if I were you.  The owner made a mistake by picking up a TE that plays on Thursday and he should have known that the player locks once the game starts.  If he didn't know, that's his problem lesson learned.

Know your league rules!

31 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I agree that you're at the mercy of the site.  ESPN you cant drop someone after their game is locked, on yahoo you can drop guys who weren't in your lineup.  What site are you using?

You didn't mention any punishments for not having a full lineup, and I would not punish this guy because he just f'ed up understanding website mechanics, and wasn't being a delinquent.  If he's just demanding a player be dropped, I just don't see how you go against whatever he's able to do via the site.  It doesn't seem like something you want to have to monitor every week. 

We are on MFL which has a ton of setting options I can probably change, I like the idea of not being able to drop a player once they have played but in the injury situation, I understand it.  As commissioner I can override and make the move if the league wants to allow these moves to fill a lineup spot when you get unexpected injury.  

Quick question for ESPN LM's...

Did ESPN eliminate the option for the LM to process a trade immediately once it has been accepted by both parties?

I know I can still adjust rosters but last year as the LM it gave me the option to process the trade immediately and I don't see that option this year.

26 minutes ago, parrothead said:

We are on MFL which has a ton of setting options I can probably change, I like the idea of not being able to drop a player once they have played but in the injury situation, I understand it.  As commissioner I can override and make the move if the league wants to allow these moves to fill a lineup spot when you get unexpected injury.  

If it’s been set this way all season you might as well stick with it. Nobody else was able to do it. He can still pick up a tight end he just needs to drop a better player I’m assuming. If he ends up with a blank te spot because of this, you should forgive him and now he’s aware of the rule of Thursday pickups. Say “if this is something you want to change for next year it can be discussed in the off-season”. 

10 minutes ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

Quick question for ESPN LM's...

Did ESPN eliminate the option for the LM to process a trade immediately once it has been accepted by both parties?

I know I can still adjust rosters but last year as the LM it gave me the option to process the trade immediately and I don't see that option this year.

Set protest amount (vetoes) to “lm decides” or whatever it’s called. 

1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

Set protest amount (vetoes) to “lm decides” or whatever it’s called. 

Its already set to LM only VETO... But no option to push the trade through like their was last year, weird.

Just now, Flynfiesta6 said:

Its already set to LM only VETO... But no option to push the trade through like their was last year, weird.

You should see an option on the right side of the league home page where it mentions current trades.  Maybe you’re on mobile app and it’s harder ? I’m usually on desktop. 

No changing of settings until after the season.  Hard and fast rule.  No exceptions.  If the player gets mad and quits in a huff, it is what it is.

20 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

You should see an option on the right side of the league home page where it mentions current trades.  Maybe you’re on mobile app and it’s harder ? I’m usually on desktop. 

I'm on a desktop as well... Once I click "uphold trade" it shows no more buttons and says the trade will process at the end of the 24 hoCapture.thumb.PNG.7b4551c0c919b0b0341113f404a3ff02.PNGur window...

11 minutes ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

I'm on a desktop as well... Once I click "uphold trade" it shows no more buttons and says the trade will process at the end of the 24 hoCapture.thumb.PNG.7b4551c0c919b0b0341113f404a3ff02.PNGur window...

That's weird. My league for football is league votes, but I changed it to LM votes to veto a trade earlier this year because both parties wanted to cancel. I was able to veto right away.  In my offseason baseball league, I approved a trade and it instantly went through.  I know I was able to do it in the past for football. Must be a bug or something.  Maybe log into a different browser and give it a try, but I doubt that changes much.  

5 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

That's weird. My league for football is league votes, but I changed it to LM votes to veto a trade earlier this year because both parties wanted to cancel. I was able to veto right away.  In my offseason baseball league, I approved a trade and it instantly went through.  I know I was able to do it in the past for football. Must be a bug or something.  Maybe log into a different browser and give it a try, but I doubt that changes much.  

Yeah really weird.  I was able to process it by going through the "LM Tools" tab - "Edit Rosters" - "Make Trade" - Select players and then the  "Process Trade" button showed up.  It also vetoed the originally accepted trade... Way to go ESPN, take a one step process and turn it into 5.

Just now, Flynfiesta6 said:

Yeah really weird.  I was able to process it by going through the "LM Tools" tab - "Edit Rosters" - "Make Trade" - Select players and then the  "Process Trade" button showed up.  It also vetoed the originally accepted trade... Way to go ESPN, take a one step process and turn it into 5.

At least you got it done.  You haven't ESPNed until you play in a FAAB league and want to add someone back on a roster so you h ave to schedule an impromptu FAAB in the middle of a day randomly just to get a player back on a team.