wendellrott

Javorius "Buck" Allen 2017 Season Outlook

23 hours ago, dabeesta17 said:

Keep in mind the only reason Allen was in so much was because the Ravens defense made the Bengals look like a high school team. There was no reason to just run West into the ground, killing the clock. Also West yesterday: 19/80/1 (4.2 ypc); Allen: 21/71/0 (3.4 ypc). West will be the primary back and get huge workloads every week. Allen has been given several chances to take this backfield for himself and has never capitalized.

This.

I do not think I have ever consciously watched Buck Allen.  Would someone explain his pedestrian rushing efficiency?  Is that something that we would expect to continue even with a larger workload?  Is he just a PPR target?  Appears to have some pretty impressive agility for his size, but his rushing performances are meh.

Some red flags in that he played a lot as a rookie and the organization responded by bringing in West and drafting Dixon, then this offseason they bring in Woodhead.  

Only thing I can say about Allen is he is a reliable pass catcher. Otherwise, he's a plodder in my eyes. That said, he probably had the best training camp and preseason of any Ravens back, so I expect it looks something like a 60-40 split West:Allen.

Agree that he's going to get a lot of touches going forward. I posted in the T. West thread he's going to be a big factor but no one wanted to hear it, as if West is a Pro Bowler (and I'm a West owner and want Buck to go away). He'll steal some early-down work, be the 3rd down back and undoubtedly be the primary guy when the Ravens are playing catch-up. 

26 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

I disagree with several. He was a PPR stud when given the chance last year, then the coaches treated him like garbage last year and didn't even make him active. He's an excellent receiver and produced Sun despite not getting targets.

I don't think there's any question he'll be in there on a lot of passing downs if Woodhead is out; which of course is good for PPR. He's just not a very good runner; doesn't create much with the ball in his hands. I see the carries from last week being his season-high, unless the Ravens D is really that good. He's an effective receiver; not so much as a runner.

5 minutes ago, mjagger42 said:

Agree that he's going to get a lot of touches going forward. I posted in the T. West thread he's going to be a big factor but no one wanted to hear it, as if West is a Pro Bowler (and I'm a West owner and want Buck to go away). He'll steal some early-down work, be the 3rd down back and undoubtedly be the primary guy when the Ravens are playing catch-up. 

We'll see - not sure I agree with all of this.

Agree that he will most likely fill the "Woodhead" role but West has been the primary rusher the past season.  The only reason Allen out-carried him was game flow...Ravens were up big and very little reason to use him.  West also had the GL carry.

Also, for those considering Allen over Cohen...don't do it lol.

Edited by ludawg23

Just now, ludawg23 said:

We'll see - not sure I agree with all of this.

Agree that he will most likely fill the "Woodhead" role but West has been the primary rusher the past season.  The only reason Allen out-carried him with game flow...Ravens were up big and very little reason to use him.  West also had the GL carry.

This makes no sense. If West was supposed to be the bellcow, he should have been seeing all the work with BAL so comfortably ahead. 

14 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

This.

Main point of optimism for us looking to add Allen is because Woodhead sustained a hamstring injury. Buck takes over as 3DRB now, and gets other touches as well.

1 minute ago, ludawg23 said:

Also, for those considering Allen over Cohen...don't do it lol.

Unless you are in my league... then please waste your $ or waiver on Buck Allen.  (I gotta feed the monkey, man).

8 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

This makes no sense. If West was supposed to be the bellcow, he should have been seeing all the work with BAL so comfortably ahead. 

Says who? He had 19 carries and that is pretty good these days if you're not is not Elliott/Bell/DJ.  Up 20-0 and the game in hand - not exactly sure what's so hard to understand.  What's the point of giving him 25-30 carries when you've won the game? :huh:

West is not a true workhorse in the sense that he can really play all 3 downs - that is not what anybody is arguing.  The guy had almost 200 carries last season - easily their top rusher.

Are you vying for Allen? That 3.4 YPC make you feel confident in him? He's more of a PPR option and no real threat to take West's job or his fantasy relevance.  West is not a good real-life football player but he's criminally underrated for someone who went in the 7th-9th rounds during drafts. 

Edited by ludawg23

They didn't anticipate woodhead going down like that. Allen was the easy quick plug for the rest of the day. You really have to watch what they do week 2 as it's sure to be up in the air still. He's not a bad flyer to take but I wouldn't waste a high priority for him /throw  a lot of money at him either and definitely not over Cohen. 

Edited by Jimbalaya

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Danny Woodhead (hamstring) will be sidelined 4-6 weeks.

also said woodhead should return this year but should probably move buck allen up right after cohen and kerwyn as the no.3 RB add this week (unless u super high on carson) now that we have confirmation of probably 6 weeks away maybe more if he goes to IR for the full 8 weeks

You can argue he would be no2 add with the muddled backfield kerwyn is in. Not sure who comes out on top there. At least only 2 backs in Baltimore. 

3 minutes ago, Jimbalaya said:

You can argue he would be no2 add with the muddled backfield kerwyn is in. Not sure who comes out on top there. At least only 2 backs in Baltimore. 

the thing we also have to consider is there was a gameplan based around Woodhead being a major player, and obviously they dont think Allen can fill that role, as they only threw one dump off to him, while all 3 of Woodheads catches were on designed plays

Balt will go back to smash with West, and throwing to Wallace, Maclin, Perriman

Allen will be the no 2 back and 3rd down back, but likely wont get many series to himself

Just now, Golden Spikes said:

the thing we also have to consider is there was a gameplan based around Woodhead being a major player, and obviously they dont think Allen can fill that role, as they only threw one dump off to him, while all 3 of Woodheads catches were on designed plays

Allen will be the no 2 back and 3rd down back, but likely wont get many series to himself

All around good points. I was just speculating. I do agree with some before us that when the game was well in hand, they used Allen instead to downhill run and run out the clock instead to avoid west from any unnecessary hits. But I would personally stay away from the Arizona backfield. Up in the air and looks like a mess to me and I have no slots to test out those waters lol. 

4 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

Says who?

1 minute ago, Jimbalaya said:

All around good points. I was just speculating. I do agree with some before us that when the game was well in hand, they used Allen instead to downhill run and run out the clock instead to avoid west from any unnecessary hits. But I would personally stay away from the Arizona backfield. Up in the air and looks like a mess to me and I have no slots to test out those waters lol. 

yah I have zero interest in the AZ, and the only reason I am considering Allen is cause I have West as my Flex should something happen to him

I bid 82/200 budget on Cohen and 4/200 on Allen for what its worth

19 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

says history, Balt traditionally under Harbaugh is a single back offense

they clearly had a different mindset with the woodhead signing and i think with a week of practice under his belt, allen will get his share of dump offs.  maybe not the same as what woodhead would have received, but dont think they are just going to switch to a cowbell type system.

24 minutes ago, bhkim814 said:

Just throwing it out here, I'd claim Buck Allen over Kerwyn. 

I agree but not over Cohen 

8 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

I doubt anyone would argue in favor of Allen over Cohen in PPR or standard, whether dynasty, redraft or keeper. We know what Javorius Allen is. Cohen has unknown upside in an offense desperately seeking playmakers.

26 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

Lol thought that was obvious

2 minutes ago, bhkim814 said:

Lol thought that was obvious

Yeah I probably didn't even need to post that.