hard1

Dede Westbrook 2017 Season Outlook

6 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

That's an understatement.  Dontae Johnson and the slot corners are bad . . . really bad (while Witherspoon is looking like a very good CB).  The front 7, OTOH, are very good.  I would be surprised if JAX did much on the ground (Bears, Texans and Titans couldn't).

Not sure where you’re getting the idea that SF is bad against slot WRs. When healthy, K’waun Williams has been the best CB we have and has held guys like Baldwin to 26 yards.

Dontae Johnson is definitely the side of the field QBs should and will attack. I would personally downgrade whoever will be lining up in the slot for Jacksonville based on what I’ve seen this season.

This guy is a big risk this week. All Jax WRs are a big risk this week. They could literally put all 4 WRs in a rotation or just pound the ball with fournette. You guys gotta remember fournette also didn't play last week. Its a dart throw. Any of these guys can pop and no one knows who its going to be. But I dont think all of them will have big games.

Edited by StevenSC400

3 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

This guy is a big risk this week. All Jax WRs are a big risk this week. They could literally put all 4 WRs in a rotation or just pound the ball with fournette. You guys gotta remember fournette also didn't play last week. Its a dart throw. Any of these guys can pop and no one knows who its going to be. But I dont think all of them will have big games.

Pounding the rock with Fournette doesn't necessarily mean Bortles won't throw the ball. Bortles has thrown the ball of an average of 30 times a game since the game against Pittsburgh (and I removed the Arizona 51 attempts game from that calculation too).

Keelan Cole's role is the one in question with Hurns returning - not Dede's.

8 minutes ago, alexander1231 said:

Pounding the rock with Fournette doesn't necessarily mean Bortles won't throw the ball. Bortles has thrown the ball of an average of 30 times a game since the game against Pittsburgh (and I removed the Arizona 51 attempts game from that calculation too).

Keelan Cole's role is the one in question with Hurns returning - not Dede's.

Im not saying Bortles won't throw. But what Im saying is Hurns and Fournette playing are 2 extra people that weren't there last week. He also really likes Hurns in the red zone. I believe he's the biggest WR they have at 6'3 205. Just an extra mouth to feed. If Hurns sits I like this situation a lot more. I own both Dede and Cole and right now they are both on my bench. Have bryant and wallace going over them. If everyone plays I dont have a crystal ball to try to figure out whose going to have the big game and neither does anyone here.

Edited by StevenSC400

9 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

Which 4 are you referring to? It is just Westbrook Cole and Hurns this week. To top it off gamescript should not get to too out of control with a reinvigorated SF offense helmed by Garoppolo.

9 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Which 4 are you referring to? It is just Westbrook Cole and Hurns this week. To top it off gamescript should not get to too out of control with a reinvigorated SF offense helmed by Garoppolo.

Mickens had himself a nice game too. I dont think its going to go unnoticed. He looks like a shifty speedy WR. Hurns, Mickens, Dede, Cole. Then Fournette being back. These guys have playmakers. I dont think any one of these WRs is really running away with being the main guy.

Edited by StevenSC400

I have both Dede and cole on my team.. should I take the risk and play them both this week? My other bench receivers are Benjamin and Cobb which I don’t feel comfortable with at all... hmmm 

6 hours ago, StevenSC400 said:

Mickens had himself a nice game too. I dont think its going to go unnoticed. He looks like a shifty speedy WR. Hurns, Mickens, Dede, Cole. Then Fournette being back. These guys have playmakers. I dont think any one of these WRs is really running away with being the main guy.

The only reason Mickens was even relevant was because Lee left with injury, and even then he only played 44% of snaps. It was a total fluke game. Even their FB had 2 touchdowns against the Texans, is he some blossoming fantasy stud now as well?

With Hurns back Mickens goes back to being a non-factor. His previous snap count high before this last game was 12%

These WRs have been productive when. Fournette has been healthy too. SF is no longer a bottom barell team, it won't be a blow out like it was considered to be weeks ago.

Before this last game Westbrook was averaging about 9 targets / game.

I think you are over thinking it just my take though.

Edited by Dirtywater97

9 hours ago, 4th and 9ers said:

Not sure where you’re getting the idea that SF is bad against slot WRs. When healthy, K’waun Williams has been the best CB we have and has held guys like Baldwin to 26 yards.

Dontae Johnson is definitely the side of the field QBs should and will attack. I would personally downgrade whoever will be lining up in the slot for Jacksonville based on what I’ve seen this season.

I'll admit that I have not done a deep research dive into Williams. PFF, however, currently grades Williams out at 49.3, which is "poor."  They have him as the #91 rated CB, which is pretty bad:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/kwaun-williams/9332

I always take PFF grades with a grain of salt, but Williams must be doing something on film to earn a grade that bad.  At the same time, the Niners are no worse than middle-of-the pack in points against to WRs (15th), and we agree that Dontae Johnson is awful, so maybe Williams is holding up his end somewhat.

34 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

I'll admit that I have not done a deep research dive into Williams. PFF, however, currently grades Williams out at 49.3, which is "poor."  They have him as the #91 rated CB, which is pretty bad:

I always take PFF grades with a grain of salt, but Williams must be doing something on film to earn a grade that bad.  At the same time, the Niners are no worse than middle-of-the pack in points against to WRs (15th), and we agree that Dontae Johnson is awful, so maybe Williams is holding up his end somewhat.

Their analysis should be taken with a grain of salt (like any analysis) but their analysis of corners is generally spot-on.

13 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

The issue with PFF is that they don't pay much attention to where a player is taking snaps. When Williams is forced to play on the outside, he's generally less effective and he's been in that situation during the course of the year due to injuries and the trade of Rashard Robinson. Williams himself missed two games in week 8 and 9 from what I recall.

Looking back at the weeks where he did play and was primarily in the slot, the following were how good slot WRs performed:

Baldwin Week 2 - 6 for 44

Kupp Week 3 - 2 for 17

Fitzgerald Week 4 - 4 for 32 (where Palmer threw for 357 yards)

Crowder Week 6 - 3 for 15

Shepard Week 10 - 11 for 132

Baldwin Week 12 - 2 for 25

As you can see from the above, his worst performance by far came against Shepard in the slot, but aside from that, he's been generally solid. Of course, WRs can move across the entire formation and Williams played outside on some plays, but generally SF has been good against slot WRs. Not saying they aren't susceptible against WRs, just that the slot WR may not be as automatic of a start as you may initially think.

Edited by 4th and 9ers

50 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S said:

Who is manning the slot Sunday at WR?

ahh Cole or Hurns 

5 minutes ago, JSA2422 said:

ahh Cole or Hurns 

Thanks, but I was hoping for one name. Trying to find out who will be in the slot and who will be out wide between those two.

Edited by E-A-G-L-E-S

Does everyone have Westbrook above guys like Funchess and Tate this week in any type of PPR format?

What are your expectations for him this week vs. Witherspoon?

I got burned by Westbrook and I SO want tp play him over Agholor but I just cant bring myself to do it, with that said fire up your dedes my borderline start decision making  is atrocious