dboong

Nerlens Noel 2017-2018 Season Outlook

27 minutes ago, Tom Chambers said:

I can't really answer your question, but I have something to add with the Okafor comparison.  Okafor is a guy who works best with the ball in his hands.  Whether you think his "best work" is good or not is up to you, but his value is in being a backdown center who has some post moves.  Noel, in comparison, can be effective without taking up usage or anything.  His comparative portability make him a bit more attractive now than Okafor was then, imo.

I agree with everything you said. Just to be clear though, i didnt compare their games, i mentioned an example of a team failing to trade a player despite them willing to get literally nothing in return. Noel is way more useful to any team out there in compare to Okafor but Noel is having trouble to stay healthy (again) and the fact he is on an expiring contract reduce his trade appeal. If i was locked in the PO and had an IR  slot i would consider to stash as well. Although i believe there might be better stashes out there like Hernangomez, J Allen, Len...

3 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Just to piggyback off of this, everyone is looking for rim protectors...and Nerlens is cheap ($ wise). In terms of compensation in a trade, second round picks get sold these days. Also, there are a lot of players that could be traded straight up that have no use to the team they are on. In terms of why a team would trade for him....I would say 2 things. 1, you get to see how he fits in your culture before signing him to a longer term contract. 2, you get to evaluate him with your coaches before you sign him to a longer term contract. Trading for him would be a way to eliminate so much of the "bust potential" downside risk of signing him to a multi year deal in free agency. You get to test drive the car for a month before deciding if you want to buy it. 

Good point. Thats really possible. It makes sense for the Mavs to look for something like this. 

48 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Just to piggyback off of this, everyone is looking for rim protectors...and Nerlens is cheap ($ wise). In terms of compensation in a trade, second round picks get sold these days. Also, there are a lot of players that could be traded straight up that have no use to the team they are on. In terms of why a team would trade for him....I would say 2 things. 1, you get to see how he fits in your culture before signing him to a longer term contract. 2, you get to evaluate him with your coaches before you sign him to a longer term contract. Trading for him would be a way to eliminate so much of the "bust potential" downside risk of signing him to a multi year deal in free agency. You get to test drive the car for a month before deciding if you want to buy it. 

The test drive is useful to in terms of presenting the ideal team to land a potential free agent in the off season. Maybe a star is interested in bring the main scorer with the condition that Noel is brought back to protect the paint. Just guessing.

35 minutes ago, rob0403 said:

The test drive is useful to in terms of presenting the ideal team to land a potential free agent in the off season. Maybe a star is interested in bring the main scorer with the condition that Noel is brought back to protect the paint. Just guessing.

Remember, Nerlens doesn't have bird rights because he is playing on a 1 year QO, so he is truly an unrestricted free agent after the season. In your scenario, I do not believe the team can sign a free agent and then sign Nerlens and go above the cap, so it might not matter much. 

16 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Remember, Nerlens doesn't have bird rights because he is playing on a 1 year QO, so he is truly an unrestricted free agent after the season. In your scenario, I do not believe the team can sign a free agent and then sign Nerlens and go above the cap, so it might not matter much. 

Yeah I have Noel's contract situation offseason in mind but I am guessing that he won't be able to sign a max contract now. Maybe Noel goes short term affordable contract for another year to prove himself and save enough room to have a team like the Lakers bring in Lebron. Who really knows.

Noel is not getting paid much next year that's for sure.

1 hour ago, rob0403 said:

Yeah I have Noel's contract situation offseason in mind but I am guessing that he won't be able to sign a max contract now. Maybe Noel goes short term affordable contract for another year to prove himself and save enough room to have a team like the Lakers bring in Lebron. Who really knows.

Noel is not getting paid much next year that's for sure.

he messed up big time not taking the Mavs $70ish million offer. I agree it's easy to say in hindsight and he couldn't have known the Mavs would screw him like this but still he had no business trying to command a max salary with how little he has proven himself in the nba

• Like 1

2nd round pick for contender (50-60 pick - you can pick guy from G-league), and you have backup center for 15-20 min who can produce in one Playoff run more than some starters. 

And Dallas has some old guys, why not receive pick for nothing.

Why not? Or Cuban just destroy kid.

Anyone else here stashing in deep leagues without an IR? I am in first place and could afford to hold him until at least the trade deadline, I had dead weight to drop anyway. 

Not sure if there are other quality stashes I should be making... is Willie a better stash at this point? 

Im like you, I drip Willy yesterday for Nerlens but think about repick Willy... Really don't know. I saw Willy playing yesterday and hes so good...

4 hours ago, SicarioSanity said:

Anyone else here stashing in deep leagues without an IR? I am in first place and could afford to hold him until at least the trade deadline, I had dead weight to drop anyway. 

Not sure if there are other quality stashes I should be making... is Willie a better stash at this point? 

Willie? As in WCS? Not much of a stash lul. Big difference between Willy and Willie in the NBA.

I don't get the angle that Cuban hates Nerlens. Why would Cuban hate him? Cuban should be stoked with Nerlens on a daily basis because 1. Nerlens saved Cuban from tying up $70 million in a long term contract 2. Mavs are in lose now mode, and Nerlens has only been helping that 3. Cuban didn't give up much of anything to take a flyer on Nerlens so it isn't like he lost a lottery pick to have him "bust" on the Mavs 4. Cuban has at least 1,000 things in his life with more impact and of far more importance than wasting his limited time and energy on Nerlens.   Seriously, guys like Cuban don't fixate on a problem like Nerlens. They just don't. The only person of Cuban's stature that fixates on small issues is the current president. Everyone needs to move along on this angle. Nerlens has done nothing but save Cuban long term grief. 

Edited by thezing1
  • Haha 1

Wouldn't this guy make a ton of sense on the Cavs or Warriors? Give Dallas a second rounder and call it a Day. 

1 hour ago, Zippi said:

Wouldn't this guy make a ton of sense on the Cavs or Warriors? Give Dallas a second rounder and call it a Day. 

There is no report Cavs are chasing him and i cant remember the last time  Warriors had a mid season trade...

16 hours ago, Zippi said:

Right now he would be great for the Pelicans with Boogie out for the rest of the season.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, pdids911 said:

luxury stash. but one of the better ones because he is IR eligible. 

Ya'll are delusional. He hasn't played consistent minutes in 2 YEARS. It will take him a month or 2 to just to get used to playing big minutes again. He can't shoot and he's not a great rebounder. Best case scenario if he gets back to 100% and 25 mpg is 8/6/1/1.5/0.9 with maybe 55% fg and 65% ft. Someone explain how that is a "luxury stash"? He should be dropped in all <16 team leagues and shouldn't be thought about until he gives us at least 2 good games in a row. 

Luxury stash in IR league. luxury with small “L”. Conley got shut down. This guy’s my didn’t-get-Milsap consolation prize.

3 minutes ago, XOrad10 said:

When I see that you’ve posted last on a thread, I know it’s a good twitter update. I appreciate that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Xmantt said:

Its one thing to practice for Carlisle, another thing to play a game

I am assuming he could've done almost the same workouts as before the thumb surgery. He was getting dnp cd anyways.