Sign in to follow this  
jfazz23

Joe Mauer (lol) 2017 Outlook

i really didnt know where to post this but i couldnt find a thread for him, or any mention of him anywhere.

i was just looking at his stats, and i was just wondering what you guys think of his career?

his contract is one of, if not the worst, in baseball...id put ellsbury slightly behind him

do you guys think he roided up in 2009 and got away with it?  because without 2009 (28 homeruns) he avgs like 8 homeruns a year. his OPS was also 200 points about his career avg.

i assume next year will be his last year in baseball...

Some context, at least as I remember...

Grew up in the region and follow the Twins from about when i first started, etc, etc,...

So  ...Back when Mauer was having that big season, there was a lot of clamoring among Twins fans that the management had repeatedly been following the "go cheap" route in the recent past, resulting in losing all the "good" players to the big market teams.I''m probably off here, but I believe it was Big Papi, Scott Erickson, Chuck Knoblach, etc there are probably others, and I'm not even sure those players were worth keeping when you consider the contracts, but anyway, the point is the locals really wanted the GM Bill Smith to sign Mauer to prevent the big bad Yankees from poaching him.  Also around this time the Twins were sneaking into the playoffs and getting their teeth knocked out, usually by the Yanks, so that added to it all.  It was presented like a foregone conclusion and speculated that the Yanks were going to get Mauer to sign the big money contract if the Twins didn't "pony up". 

As far as being 'roided up, I have no clue, but its clear that catching was tough on him. I believe he ended up on the DL with lower back pain that eventually resulted in some sort of "spinal fusion" procedure. Its pretty clear this is a reason to explain the loss of power and the move to first base.

I would love someone to update the narrative on this part because I started to be occupied with other persuasions around this time ...

So in a way, there was a bit of local pressure on the GM to do something to keep Mauer, especially since he grew up in the region and was a "home town boy".

Summed up: I don't think he was on roids, I know there is a lot of disappointment in his performance, I have no idea if he will stick around once his contract ends...

Fantasy wise: I pick him up as a fill in/streamer in my 16 teamer on occasion, its a bummer to see players like him have their value plummet precipitously from that point you mention up above when he hit 28 HRs and was looking like a promising C eligible player with high OBP/AVG and Power. 

4 minutes ago, Pernil said:

Some context, at least as I remember...

Grew up in the region and follow the Twins from about when i first started, etc, etc,...

So  ...Back when Mauer was having that big season, there was a lot of clamoring among Twins fans that the management had repeatedly been following the "go cheap" route in the recent past, resulting in losing all the "good" players to the big market teams.I''m probably off here, but I believe it was Big Papi, Scott Erickson, Chuck Knoblach, etc there are probably others, and I'm not even sure those players were worth keeping when you consider the contracts, but anyway, the point is the locals really wanted the GM Bill Smith to sign Mauer to prevent the big bad Yankees from poaching him.  Also around this time the Twins were sneaking into the playoffs and getting their teeth knocked out, usually by the Yanks, so that added to it all.  It was presented like a foregone conclusion and speculated that the Yanks were going to get Mauer to sign the big money contract if the Twins didn't "pony up". 

As far as being 'roided up, I have no clue, but its clear that catching was tough on him. I believe he ended up on the DL with lower back pain that eventually resulted in some sort of "spinal fusion" procedure. Its pretty clear this is a reason to explain the loss of power and the move to first base.

I would love someone to update the narrative on this part because I started to be occupied with other persuasions around this time ...

So in a way, there was a bit of local pressure on the GM to do something to keep Mauer, especially since he grew up in the region and was a "home town boy".

Summed up: I don't think he was on roids, I know there is a lot of disappointment in his performance, I have no idea if he will stick around once his contract ends...

Fantasy wise: I pick him up as a fill in/streamer in my 16 teamer on occasion, its a bummer to see players like him have their value plummet precipitously from that point you mention up above when he hit 28 HRs and was looking like a promising C eligible player with high OBP/AVG and Power. 

thank you for this response!

It's crazy he is already 34.  He never really lived up to the hype outside of his one mammoth year.  But he provided pretty good fantasy value for a 6 or 7 year span outside of a couple of injuries.

definitly a career he should be proud of course

Around the time of his contract signing, the Twins were pushing for a new stadium. Keeping the hometown kid was good publicity. Losing Ortiz had some to do with money but again the context of PR the roids test (whether it was a false positive or not) wasn't going to fly. He also had a concussion, missed quite a bit of one year with it, and he admitted for a few years after that suffered from blurred vision. He was moved to first more because of the risk of repeat concussions playing catcher than the Twins actually wanting him at first. Reality is he doesn't profile as a prototypical first baseman. But the Twins at the time didn't have the monetary resources to just release him and eat the contract. Some teams can and some can't. Look how many poor contracts the Yankees got stuck with and just had to keep players at insane contracts for little production.

You are also judging him by power (HR) instead of what he could do. Judge him against players of his time and what he accomplished as a catcher.  As for that one year spike, it could be the biggest testament to what roids can do for a player. If memory serves me right he came back from an injury that year and I remember a lot of wall scrapers. But I am not saying he took them or not. Made a lot of money that year in fantasy as he was gold with a 28 HR catcher on my team.

He was on pace for a borderline HOF career before the injuries. He was the premier catcher of his prime.

1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

Around the time of his contract signing, the Twins were pushing for a new stadium. Keeping the hometown kid was good publicity. Losing Ortiz had some to do with money but again the context of PR the roids test (whether it was a false positive or not) wasn't going to fly. He also had a concussion, missed quite a bit of one year with it, and he admitted for a few years after that suffered from blurred vision. He was moved to first more because of the risk of repeat concussions playing catcher than the Twins actually wanting him at first. Reality is he doesn't profile as a prototypical first baseman. But the Twins at the time didn't have the monetary resources to just release him and eat the contract. Some teams can and some can't. Look how many poor contracts the Yankees got stuck with and just had to keep players at insane contracts for little production.

You are also judging him by power (HR) instead of what he could do. Judge him against players of his time and what he accomplished as a catcher.  As for that one year spike, it could be the biggest testament to what roids can do for a player. If memory serves me right he came back from an injury that year and I remember a lot of wall scrapers. But I am not saying he took them or not. Made a lot of money that year in fantasy as he was gold with a 28 HR catcher on my team.

i actually remember the GM being under pressure to sign him...

so do you think he was a roid user?  because out side of his AVG, nothing else was spectacular about him as a catcher (offensively)... low Ks and good walks i guess

its just an odd career IMO

at the end of 2010 Mauer was 27 years old and already had 3 AL Batting Titles to his resume.

He also had a career BAVG of approx .320 (+ or -) and had 4 Top 10 finishes in the AL MVP voting with 1 MVP award.

He as a STUD catcher!

But then the back injuries started and the blurry vision.

He still has a career BAVG of .308 and OPS of .833 ... what might have been ...

9 hours ago, Numark said:

It's crazy he is already 34.  He never really lived up to the hype outside of his one mammoth year.  But he provided pretty good fantasy value for a 6 or 7 year span outside of a couple of injuries.

definitly a career he should be proud of course

Basically a better version of Buster Posey during his prime.

30 minutes ago, jb_power said:

at the end of 2010 Mauer was 27 years old and already had 3 AL Batting Titles to his resume.

He also had a career BAVG of approx .320 (+ or -) and had 4 Top 10 finishes in the AL MVP voting with 1 MVP award.

He as a STUD catcher!

But then the back injuries started and the blurry vision.

He still has a career BAVG of .308 and OPS of .833 ... what might have been ...

It might have been circumstantial, but I thought the Twins' new stadium hurt Mauer too.

2010 was the year Target Field opened -- the year following Mauer's 28 HR breakout.

OK, Mauer in 2010 was still really good -- .327/.402/.469 in 584 plate appearances -- but he hit only 1 HR at home that year! The next year in an injury plagued 82-game season he hit exactly zero home HRs. In 2012 he hit four.

Edited by My Dinner With Andre

5 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

i actually remember the GM being under pressure to sign him...

so do you think he was a roid user?  because out side of his AVG, nothing else was spectacular about him as a catcher (offensively)... low Ks and good walks i guess

its just an odd career IMO

No if my memory is right I think the year he hit 28 he came back from an injury and who knows. But if he did for that one year it goes to show what PED use could do.  

Funny but if he was a rookie today with his walk rate/k rate with average people would be gaga except for the lack of power.

9 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

No if my memory is right I think the year he hit 28 he came back from an injury and who knows. But if he did for that one year it goes to show what PED use could do.  

Funny but if he was a rookie today with his walk rate/k rate with average people would be gaga except for the lack of power.

if he were a rookie today i dont think hed be a top 3 catcher even...its really only that one year that was fantasy relevant in most leagues.

well i guess i mean a fantasy stud.

After three or four years of struggles, he still has a career batting ave of .308.  He never was a rbi guy but was the table setter, so check the number of runs scored per year as a catcher.

The game has changed the last couple of years. HR drive fantasy again. With the number and increase in HR I have a hard time believing that en mass so many players changed their swing. The ball being different seems much more credible. But it has distorted appreciation of what baseball players accomplished.

Just now, Low and Away said:

After three or four years of struggles, he still has a career batting ave of .308.  He never was a rbi guy but was the table setter, so check the number of runs scored per year as a catcher.

The game has changed the last couple of years. HR drive fantasy again. With the number and increase in HR I have a hard time believing that en mass so many players changed their swing. The ball being different seems much more credible. But it has distorted appreciation of what baseball players accomplished.

eh, i still feel like mauer never lived up to his hype/or potential

and that one year makes me question him...it reminds me of Ellsbury's big year(2011 i think??)

On 8/27/2017 at 3:14 PM, jfazz23 said:

eh, i still feel like mauer never lived up to his hype/or potential

and that one year makes me question him...it reminds me of Ellsbury's big year(2011 i think??)

He was a freaking catcher. His numbers were elite for his position before the concussions.

Edited by elrey

It's actually great to see Mauer have a bounceback season while also staying healthy this year. Too bad he's no longer catcher eligible which keeps him marginally fantasy relevant at best. Hopefully he can get his first career playoff win.