Sign in to follow this  
wendellrott

Corey Clement 2017 Season Outlook

When I look at Clement's situation, there are several issues. First, Philly is a pass-first offense and Wendel took Sproles' role as the primary passing down back. Corey Clement is not really a passing down back in the way that Sproles/Wendel are. So far he has been giving Blount breathers, but he hasn't been worked into the offense's passing game in any meaningful way. He's also the primary back on special teams.

He has a bit of value if Wendel doesn't play, no doubt about it, but Wendel's injury doesn't appear to be serious enough to miss more than 1 game, if he even misses 1. That makes him a 1 week fill-in + bench stash at most right now. Unless Blount is injured or sees his production fall to the floor, I don't see fantasy relevance for Clement.

Edited by default_account

4 minutes ago, default_account said:

When I look at Clement's situation, there are several issues. First, Philly is a pass-first offense and Wendel took Sproles' role as the primary passing down back. Corey Clement is not really a passing down back in the way that Sproles/Wendel are. So far he has been giving Blount breathers, but he hasn't been worked into the offense's passing game in any meaningful way. He's also the primary back on special teams.

He has value if Wendel doesn't play, no doubt about it, but Wendel's injury doesn't appear to be serious enough to miss more than 1 game, if he even misses 1. That makes him a 1 week fill-in + bench stash at most right now. Unless Blount is injured or sees his production fall to the floor, I don't see fantasy relevance for Clement.

I agree to a certain extent, but we really don't know a lot about Smallwood's new injury most of it is very vague which isn't a good sign imo. All it takes is one blurb about new info and the outlook changes drastically. Not to mention if he has a monster game this weekend that could change his outlook as well. Lots of variables at play and I think there is plenty of upside here with a decent cheap stream this weekend. 

6 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

I agree to a certain extent, but we really don't know a lot about Smallwood's new injury most of it is very vague which isn't a good sign imo. All it takes is one blurb about new info and the outlook changes drastically. Not to mention if he has a monster game this weekend that could change his outlook as well. Lots of variables at play and I think there is plenty of upside here with a decent cheap stream this weekend. 

Yes, stream him if you have to, assuming Wendel doesn't play. Consider the better looking options out there like Gallman and possibly even Collins. I'd go with either of those 2 over Clement. I have all 3 rostered at this point in a very deep league. Right now Clement is the odd man out for me.

Same can be said for many back ups...Smallwood had only been good for 2 games hardly a lock to keep the job....not saying he shouldn't just saying he's had plenty of opportunities never capitalizing, until the last two weeks only to get hurt again in the process....will clement steal the job? Doubtful but to say Smallwood has a strangle hold on the job isn't accurate either....

13 minutes ago, hard1 said:

Same can be said for many back ups...Smallwood had only been good for 2 games hardly a lock to keep the job....not saying he shouldn't just saying he's had plenty of opportunities never capitalizing, until the last two weeks only to get hurt again in the process....will clement steal the job? Doubtful but to say Smallwood has a strangle hold on the job isn't accurate either....

Smallwood is a second year, unproven player. He has been injured more often than not as well. 

5 minutes ago, ohio#1eaglesfan said:

I think those brave enough to stream him this Sunday may be rewarded with a breakout game.

agreed. 

every bit of optimism about this kid was predicated on Smalls knee - we all know that if all three dress that Clement is (currently) odd man out - but, situation just shifted to CC's favor, and that's why folks were in here talking 'bout firing the kid up.  

yeah, even over Cooper.  

YWIA. 

?

First I had Corey Coleman, then I had Chris Carson, and now I'll have Corey Clement. You could do worse at flex this week.

Think it might be time a drop hot WW add of week 1, Buck Allen, and add hot waiver wire add of week 5, Corey Clement.

I watched this kid play in the preseason (Philly is my viewing area) and he looks good. Has great speed and agility, I was really impressed watching him run this summer. Also, nothing in fantasy makes sense so no reason why he won't pop off and go ape-spit this weekend.

Not to have Boos and Hisses thrown at me, but I don't see the appeal.  Blount is still smoking his touches and Smalls will probably return next week. 

Spanker uses the door as a shield as he quietly waits for the thread riot to break out.....

2 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

Not to have Boos and Hisses thrown at me, but I don't see the appeal.  Blount is still smoking his touches and Smalls will probably return next week. 

Spanker uses the door as a shield as he quietly waits for the thread riot to break out.....

Smallwood isn't playing this week. 

Just now, degendynamo said:

Smallwood isn't playing this week. 

Oh so your in this for a one week rental?  :)

'member when Sproles went down, and Smalls was the big "get" that week on the wire? 

we had plenty of folks up in the waiver thread saying Smalls wasn't worth #1 claim or huge FAAB coin - they said to bag CC on the cheap instead.  

and here we are.  

Considering the fact that Smallwood isn't playing, and the rental was given 3 of the most important carries in the 4th quarter last week, yes I'm ALL IN. For this week only.

8 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

Oh so your in this for a one week rental?  :)

One week rental with the possibility for more is worth a shot especially when you are getting him for free. It's not as if they weren't using him before Smallwood got hurt. I'm not sure if this article was shared in previous pages but this article is telling enough:

Edit: it was shared previously lol..still enjoy..

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/philadelphia-eagles/eagles-turn-corey-clement-not-blount-or-smallwood-run-out-clock%3Famp

Edited by nonstopfan

1 minute ago, nonstopfan said:

One week rental with the possibility for more is worth a shot especially when you are getting him for free. It's not as if they weren't using him before Smallwood got hurt. I'm not sure if this article was shared in previous pages but this article is telling enough:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/philadelphia-eagles/eagles-turn-corey-clement-not-blount-or-smallwood-run-out-clock%3Famp

I'm pretty sure Spanker is trolling Clement owner's w/ the "one week rental *smiley face*" comment.

8 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

'member when Sproles went down, and Smalls was the big "get" that week on the wire? 

we had plenty of folks up in the waiver thread saying Smalls wasn't worth #1 claim or huge FAAB coin - they said to bag CC on the cheap instead.  

and here we are.  

The difference is that Clement isn't a passing down back by trade like Wendel is. He's a threat to Blount come next week, not Smallwood, given what I've seen. Wendel was always the one spelling Sproles, so predicting his future role was less murky. If Blount tanks this weekend and Clement steps up, it's very possible that this becomes the Clement/Smallwood show, but I don't see any non-injury scenario where it is the Blount/Clement show after this game. Heck, we could be looking at an ugly situation for all 3 backs after this week, too.

3 minutes ago, default_account said:

The difference is that Clement isn't a passing down back by trade like Wendel is. He's a threat to Blount come next week, not Smallwood, given what I've seen. Wendel was always the one spelling Sproles, so predicting his future role was less murky. If Blount tanks this weekend and Clement steps up, it's very possible that this becomes the Clement/Smallwood show, but I don't see any non-injury scenario where it is the Blount/Clement show after this game. Heck, we could be looking at an ugly situation for all 3 backs after this week, too.

Smallwood went on IR last year and has already picked up his second injury this year(missed most of training camp with a hamstring). 

2 minutes ago, ohio#1eaglesfan said:

Smallwood went on IR last year and has already picked up his second injury this year(missed most of training camp with a hamstring). 

Hence the non-injury scenario remark. Injuries would certainly open the door. Stashing him for now, hope he does well this weekend.

3 minutes ago, default_account said:

Thats what Im thinking too. Clement kinda of has to kill it this weekend otherwise he's just a decent bye week fill in.

44 minutes ago, default_account said:

Clement has good hands actually. And he is a better pass blocker than Smallwood. If he gets the chance to show well for the next week or two Smallwood could easily lose his role. Smallwood is just as unproven as Clement.

As a fan I hope Clement turns into something realistic for the team, because Smallwood is not the future I want.