garlando

Nate Pearson - SP TOR

21 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

Almost every pitcher is

Yes, but I think this guy is a particularly huge injury risk.  I'm not an injury expert but his motion and his speed just make me think he is an injury just waiting to happen

3 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Yes, but I think this guy is a particularly huge injury risk.  I'm not an injury expert but his motion and his speed just make me think he is an injury just waiting to happen

No, I agree but the upside IMO is just too good to pass up

On 2/26/2020 at 9:17 PM, Fbaseballgod said:

That’s why he should be in big league rotation.  His stuff is ready.  No need to go to Syracuse or whatever bum nothing town the AAA affiliate is located in to waste bullets tossing to 33+ year old clingers.  Service time is irrelevant, his arm will fall off in under 7 years so who gives a crap.  Put him in and let’s get this show on the road for limited amount of time we got left before that wheel blows.

• Like 2

Any thoughts at the number of innings at the major league level this season?

10 minutes ago, burty1 said:

Any thoughts at the number of innings at the major league level this season?

No. I think if we had a full season I think 50-100. Don't see how anyone could predict now

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 6:31 PM, BCMarch10 said:

Nate Pearson is gonna be a stud. He's a young Max Scherzer.

Love Pearson, but don't forget that Scherzer was not very good his first 3 years, and didn't really turn into anything resembling an ace until his 5th full season

• Like 1

Very true about Scherzer taking him awhile to learn how to pitch and not just throw. Hopefully, it doesn't take Pearson as long. I think Pearson has the stuff to be an ace.

• Like 1

This is about the time he would have been up in a normal season right?

I could see the Jays taking it slow with 6 man rotations and a skipped start here or there but wouldn't be shocked if he is up in a week or two

tough to roster him when sp like rich hill and richards are locks for rotations spots as long as they hold up health wise. (i am and think with short season this will probably backfire)

2 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

tough to roster him when sp like rich hill and richards are locks for rotations spots as long as they hold up health wise. (i am and think with short season this will probably backfire)

Rich Hill is with Minnesota, not Toronto.  You mean Garrett Richards?  He is with San Diego.  Neither is going to block him.  I agree with mocha4131 that there will probably be a 6 man rotation just not on the Jays but most teams.  Or tandem two starting pitcher games which have also been mentioned.  One of both options have been mentioned by a lot of teams so far.  Perfect format for Pearson.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Rich Hill is with Minnesota, not Toronto.  You mean Garrett Richards?  He is with San Diego.  Neither is going to block him.  I agree with mocha4131 that there will probably be a 6 man rotation just not on the Jays but most teams.  Or tandem two starting pitcher games which have also been mentioned.  One of both options have been mentioned by a lot of teams so far.  Perfect format for Pearson.

i was talking f/a in standard 12 teamers right now. throw civale in there as well

Edited by colepenhagen

4 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

It's really league dependent, but Pearson's upside is pretty high.  If Richards/Hill are final roster spots/waiver wire guys, chances are you'll find someone else.

Seems like a no-brainer move for the Blue Jays and it would only equate to missing one start. 

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Bash Bros said:

Seems like a no-brainer move for the Blue Jays and it would only equate to missing one start. 

It's a no brianer for sure, but honestly they are still getting a raw deal because using him for the bulk of the season is still taking a year of control and they aren't really expected to compete.  I guess they spent on Ryu and it's a 60 game season so anything can happenn, but ultimately calling him up before a month into 2021 is probably going to end up being a waste.

Edited by brockpapersizer

Financially it makes sense to not waste a year of his service time on a mini-season, but they might not want him wasting a developmental year pitching to nothing but their 20 man taxi squad/simulated games/bullpen sessions. Unless the team is in serious contention for a title(talent wise) and they have a better option on the team, I'd want my prospects that are even semi-ready for the majors playing everyday. There's only one way to do that this year, hopefully. Then again, playing the entire 60 games is only 10-12 starts depending on how teams use their rotations. Going to be very interesting to see how each team handles their roster/prospects. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not implying that it applies with Pearson, but it's worth noting that only players on the 60 man lists are elig to trade.

Jays hitters had hard-ons after Pearson's 2 innings today. He was dominant. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

Will he start for the Jays or is he going to have a bullpen role?

He should start: here is the latest news I can find on him...Looks like they might hold him back for a  start or two due to service time

Ryan Borucki, Anthony Kay and Nate Pearson remain in competition for the No. 5 spot.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/blue-jays-trent-thornton-rotation-spot-secure/

Usually I try to stay away from Rookie SPs, because no matter how talented, they tend to have huge bumps in the road and inconsistency that hurts team ratios. I'm wondering if this kid will be the exception to the rule. If his breaking stuff is that nasty, as in the above video, and he also throws 102, that's insane. 

• Like 1