Chwf3rd

2017 RB Rankings

44 minutes ago, Flyers_28 said:

i dont see peterson so i guess you think he wont have much of an impact and tbh i dont know if he does or doesnt but since you don't i think ingram should be higher cook as well and i dont know about all the other guys in between but i think kelley outscores perkins 

I'm a little biased because most of my leagues are dynasty or 3+ keeper leagues; therefore I never have a high priority on older players ESPECIALLY at the RB position. Kelley has too much competition for me and I think Perkins will do a lot better than people think this year simply because of game scripts for NYG. I honestly am not too interested in drafting either unless the ADP at the time is +EV

I've noticed a lot of the threads of the second tier RB's have been a hot topic today.  The likes of McCoy, Freeman, Gordon, Howard, Murray and Gurley.  Here are the SOS (strength of schedules) for RB's according to fftoolbox.scout for those of us that look into this sort of thing.

McCoy  8

Freeman  20

Gordon  25

Howard  6

Murray  4

Gurley  24

heres another Ajayi  29

1 hour ago, Bugs bunny said:

I've noticed a lot of the threads of the second tier RB's have been a hot topic today.  The likes of McCoy, Freeman, Gordon, Howard, Murray and Gurley.  Here are the SOS (strength of schedules) for RB's according to fftoolbox.scout for those of us that look into this sort of thing.

McCoy  8

Freeman  20

Gordon  25

Howard  6

Murray  4

Gurley  24

heres another Ajayi  29

Seems to be different rankings - https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/strength-of-schedule.php?position=RB

McCoy at 10, Ajayi at 18 just to name a few. 

14 minutes ago, Danskeren said:

Seems to be different rankings - https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/strength-of-schedule.php?position=RB

McCoy at 10, Ajayi at 18 just to name a few. 

Looks like Fantasy Pros is based off how many fantasy points a team gives up where as Toolbox does it by position.

on further review I stand corrected.  Your right.

Edited by Bugs bunny

2 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

Looks like Fantasy Pros is based off how many fantasy points a team gives up where as Toolbox does it by position.

Doubt it as Fantasy Pros' rankings changes when you change position, e.g. QB - Saints is ranked 1 with the easiest schedule and for RB the Patriots are ranked 1st with the easiest schedule. 

On 8/22/2017 at 6:01 PM, dogfightgiggle said:

Are you taking a wait and see approach on all Patriots rb's?  I've just had a good feeling about Burkhead all summer.  I believe his versatility will earn him a nice role.

I'm not as down on Howard, he's a damn good runner and I'd put him up over Miller.  Foreman's potential as a TD vulture is somewhat concerning.  Cohen on the other hand should hopefully lead to more Howard scores.

Not sure what to think about Jamaal Charles.  Any insight into that situation you might want to share would be appreciated.

Patriots RBs are fairly simple for me.  Never draft the 1st one off the board, take your favorite lotto ticket later.  Gillislee is a DND for me, the other 3 are perfectly reasonable investments.

Howard looked great last year, but I rarely invest in 1 year wonders.  Maybe he repeats, that's not out of the question at all.  He's just a type of player I don't think I'll regret passing on.  If my opponent pays a 2nd round pick for him, and he repeats a top 12 back performance, then that's fine with me.  I don't feel as if it's a losing move to have skipped over him there.  On the other hand, the chance that he crashes back to earth, would cripple your team.  Basically, it's not about whether I think he'll bust or beast, it's just I don't see the potential reward for the potential risk.  Again, if my opponent gets Howard, and he's exactly what people hope he is, how badly does it hurt your team, assuming you land your 2nd round pick correctly?

I haven't seen Jamaal touch the ball yet, so while I'm extremely skeptical, in the 10th round his (once upon a time) health and talent, make him a tantalizing target, for the potential lead back of the Bronco's for pennies.  Even if he's a CoP back to CJA, Charles has never been a guy who depended on workload to be productive.  On top of that, CJA hasn't ever played a full season in his life.  Hopefully week 3 gives us a peek of him on the field, and his ranking could drastically change for me.  He very well could be done in the NFL and off the team before the season starts.  But when considering season winning lotto tickets... the 1% chance that JC is even 80% of the old JC, is worth the 10th round investment.

*From the Cooks thread, but far more relevant here, and in relation to the NE backfield question:

Once Lewis came back from injury, Bellicheck went right back to his shenanigans.  Most probably never noticed because it was a more subtle transition than usual, but just as a refresher for the masochists drafting Gillislee in the 4th/5th this year:

Blount had over 20 carries 5 times, in his first 9 games.  Once Lewis was active again in game 10 (week 11) Blount never carried the ball more than 20 times again.  The slowly the backfield became a committee whether people realize it or not. Over weeks 15,16,17&18, Blount and Lewis split carries down the middle (58 for Lewis, 59 for Blount)  Over the last 6 games the Pats played, Blount dropped down to averaging only 41 yards per game.  Exactly half of what he averaged (82) over the first 13 weeks.  Then comes the most important game of the year and what happens?  Blount totals 31 yards and no TDs, Lewis totals 29 yards and no TDs, but who's that?  James White scores 46 points.

Despite popular belief, this is the same Bill Bellichick, this backfield is just as daunting as it's ever been, and your evaluation of this team's RB usage should not have ended just because the fantasy season did.  And just for reference/perspective, this is coming from the guy who drafted L.Blount last year for pennies.  I have not been jaded by this backfield, in fact quite the opposite, I've profited off of it more than once, by simply drafting the exact opposite of the general consensus.  I'll have no issue doing it again this year.  Gillislee(4th) is a DND for me, but I'll gladly take a swing on Burkhead(12th), White(13th), or Lewis(15th).

On 8/22/2017 at 2:09 PM, FFCollusion said:

Updated PPR Ranks after the first 2 weeks of preseason:

Week2_Pre_Ranks.png

Biggest RB changes:

Zeke down to 9th, I'm assuming 6 games for the time being.

In related news, DMC up to 26.  6 Games of hopeful RB1 production, for WR early people is arguably worth even more than I ranked.

Mark Ingram up to 19th.  I've posted plenty of math in the Ingram and AP threads to support this logic.  The NO backfield has plenty to go around.

Other moves are just balance factors based on the eye test, camp reports, preseason production, health etc.

Week 3 is still to come and will be the largest factor thus far.

Curious what your newest ranks are? 

On 8/24/2017 at 2:32 PM, FFCollusion said:

Howard looked great last year, but I rarely invest in 1 year wonders.  Maybe he repeats, that's not out of the question at all.  He's just a type of player I don't think I'll regret passing on.  If my opponent pays a 2nd round pick for him, and he repeats a top 12 back performance, then that's fine with me.  I don't feel as if it's a losing move to have skipped over him there.  On the other hand, the chance that he crashes back to earth, would cripple your team.  Basically, it's not about whether I think he'll bust or beast, it's just I don't see the potential reward for the potential risk.  Again, if my opponent gets Howard, and he's exactly what people hope he is, how badly does it hurt your team, assuming you land your 2nd round pick correctly?

One year wonder? He's only been in the league for one year.  This isn't Justin Forsett... By this logic you'd never draft a 2nd year RB. I guess Zeke is off the table for you too.  Good thing you didn't draft David Johnson last year... total team killer.

Knock Howard for the team he's on and the talent around him, fine, but don't knock him for the longevity of his production.  All this guy has shown in the NFL is that he's a stud RB.

This position can have a huge impact on your fantasy team, and players who are waiver wire JAGs, can become fantasy stars overnight.

This thread should be a consolidation of up-to-the-minute news regarding how teams are divvying up carries/touches, injury news, big performances, dud performances, and anything else remarkable/fantasy relevant at the running back position.

Post news/observations/quotes/and anything else fantasy relevant regarding the RB position from around the league. No "cool story bro" type posts about your fantasy team, or questions/comments about who you should add/drop at the position.

This is the time if you have room on your roster to pick up a backup RB sleeper who has major potential if an injury happened. I'm not talking about Derrick Henry who is already rostered, but the Matt Breida type. Keep in mind that in most leagues, all free agents go on waivers once their game is kicked off.

Kareem Hunt had the greatest first game performance of all time for a rookie.  He is on pace to break significant NFL records.  You should pick him up.

I'm probably dropping Burkhead for a backup RB before the games today. I don't think Burkhead is completely done yet but I also think his outlook is not great without an injury and I agree with cousinal I'd rather have someone who hasn't played yet and could still see his stock soar from an injury today

10 minutes ago, TTo34 said:

Kareem Hunt had the greatest first game performance of all time for a rookie.  He is on pace to break significant NFL records.  You should pick him up.

No brainer, but keep in mind it's only one game. I drafted him in 2 dynasty leagues, in the one redraft league (12 teamer),

that I play in,he was drafted as well.

3 minutes ago, owenmills said:

I'm probably dropping Burkhead for a backup RB before the games today. I don't think Burkhead is completely done yet but I also think his outlook is not great without an injury and I agree with cousinal I'd rather have someone who hasn't played yet and could still see his stock soar from an injury today

Can you drop Burkhead since he's already played this week?

1 minute ago, cousinal111 said:

Can you drop Burkhead since he's already played this week?

At yahoo and nfl.com you can as long as he wasn't started. At espn and cbs you cannot.

I picked up Smallwood just to see what happens since that Eagles backfield is still wide open

Edited by nk3323

I should have added another footnote in the OP: 

Post news/observations/quotes/and anything else fantasy relevant regarding the RB position from around the league. No "cool story bro" type posts about your fantasy team, or questions/comments about who you should add/drop at the position.

Looking out for Alvin Kamara.  Being compared to Reggie Bush in Saints offense. Crowded house with Ingram and AP.  He needs 5 touches a game to be useful for flex.  Let's see how he gets used today.

Same vane Marlon Mack or Turbin need to pass Ol Man River.

Zenner.  Should be the GL guy.  Situation is murky.  If everyone in the Cincy backfield is rostered, I don't see why a guy like Zenner isn't in the DET backfield.  Plus, doesn't cost anything.

1 minute ago, Sternes said:

Zenner.  Should be the GL guy.  Situation is murky.  If everyone in the Cincy backfield is rostered, I don't see why a guy like Zenner isn't in the DET backfield.  Plus, doesn't cost anything.

I dunno about that. Abdullah and Riddick should see majority of touches. 

Even if one goes down we all saw last year what zenner is in a bigger role , a poor man's matt asiata. 

Id rather stash a high upside cuff like conner or foreman

Tarik Cohen, Alvin Kamara, and Smallwood are most intriguing for me. Two potential Sproles-like players and one potential starter if Blount carries over his preseason slumber. 

49ers thunder and lightning hyde/breida. Tbd how much of the usage during week 1