South Jersey Bombers

Head 2 head playoff updates.

Yahoo pro league playoffs just started for me. Have a bye this week as the 2 seed but my team is pretty banged up. Lost Fulmer Nelson and I have Paxton coming off the DL. After some questionable transactions the 6 seed picked up Rhys Hoskins off the waivers which makes them a pretty dangerous 6 seed to go up against should they advance to next week. 

We'll see how it goes. ?

^I guess it must be nice to have that luxury. I mean if you've been starting Greinke at home all this time, I don't know why the Rockies' garbage lineup would suddenly scare you out of it.

4 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

^I guess it must be nice to have that luxury. I mean if you've been starting Greinke at home all this time, I don't know why the Rockies' garbage lineup would suddenly scare you out of it.

I don't have the luxury....I am still using him just usual playoff overthinking BS

29 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

I don't have the luxury....I am still using him just usual playoff overthinking BS

Playoff overthinking is definitely a real thing.  Glad you realize that.

I fell way behind on one team last week because my three starting pitchers all blew up on the first day (Monday).  ERA of over 20.  Great way to start off the playoffs, heh.

So I spent the rest of the week trying to get K's and Wins to balance out my ERA/WHIP fiasco.   Only 10 categories so it was a deep hole.

I'd stare at all the possibilities with only 6 moves to use for the week and feel like my brain was the squirrel running round and round the wheel in the cage.  Spent so long thinking that someone nabbed Edwin Jackson out from under me so I was stuck with Josh Tomlin instead.  But Jackson went kaboom and Tomlin won his game.  Sometimes it is good not to know what to do and let the other guy make the mistake.

Turns out I picked well and my hitters didn't go into a massive team slump like in some past years but were red hot all week long.  So I won this past week on Sunday and even managed to get my ERA down far enough that, with the help of my opponent's pitchers tanking badly the last half of the week, caused me to squeak by in that category too.  A 5.+ ERA won that category this past week, haha!  That was a first.

So this was a long way of saying never underestimate your ability to come back from the brink of disaster or your opponent's ability to seek out disaster.  Good luck to you all.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Snuck past this guy in the standings yesterday to finish the reg. season 1st in my H2H league. Got a bye this week, probably gonna strategically use all 6 of my moves at the end of the week to make sure I can smash my upcoming opponent.  GL everyone this week!

2 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

mine starts tonight and I can't believe the number of times I gone back and forth if I want to use Grienke tonight or use him against just SF

Isnt it a home game for him? Think you gotta start him bro, pretty sure his home split is dazzling

Just now, BigUnit said:

Isnt it a home game for him? Think you gotta start him bro, pretty sure his home split is dazzling

oh I am....just rox have good lineup...but what is up with Zack? Last start I saw him hitting 95 on the gun I was like holy s***

I finished 1st in my league, but i faded down the stretch because i have J Turner, C Seager, Alex Wood and Kershaw, i had to pickup Woodruff because Ryu isn't pitching this week, i'm pretty sure i'm going to lose

Edited by azeri98
spelling

Did Castillo (Baltimore catcher) really get injured prior to his first at bat? I literally burned a transaction yesterday and picked him up in place of Grandal who's been slumping. Geez.

In the semis in both leagues.  CBS team has ben too quiet lately..

17 minutes ago, quietj said:

Did Castillo (Baltimore catcher) really get injured prior to his first at bat? I literally burned a transaction yesterday and picked him up in place of Grandal who's been slumping. Geez.

Unfortunate foul tip into the huevos. Should be ok. DTD at this point.

Just now, MrBrett said:

Unfortunate foul tip into the huevos. Should be ok. DTD at this point.

I swear what are the odds, hopefully he plays tomorrow.

39 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

I finished 1st in my league, but i faded down the stretch because i have J Turner, C Seager, Alex Wood and Kershaw, i had to pickup Woodruff because Ryu isn't pitching this week, i'm pretty sure i'm going to lose

Hope not. In my Roto picked up both him and Stratton but lagging behind in starts, innings, and k for the year. Also picked him in a couple of semis so enough with the negative vibes. ?

Anyone with Bye this week start lookin into next week's possible 2 starters/streamers?

I think Leake will play 2 games at home vs TEX and CLE, but both teams have been hot recently.

Found some streamers for myself and could be available in your leagues too since pitching is thin in my league (12 team h2h daily lineup)

Bettis @ SF

Leiter Jr vs LAD

Cashner @ SEA

Lively @ ATL

Conley v NYM

3 hours ago, fingy said:

Anyone with Bye this week start lookin into next week's possible 2 starters/streamers?

I think Leake will play 2 games at home vs TEX and CLE, but both teams have been hot recently.

Found some streamers for myself and could be available in your leagues too since pitching is thin in my league (12 team h2h daily lineup)

Bettis @ SF

Leiter Jr vs LAD

Cashner @ SEA

Lively @ ATL

Conley v NYM

That's a nice rotation to destroy your ERA and WHIP with.  Leiter was one the unholy trinity I mentioned in my first post above that destroyed my ERA and WHIP last Monday.  I thought he would be a good streamer too ... until that happened.  I see he had a good game later last week against the Nats after I dropped him (go figure) but that 21.60 ERA against the freaking Mets left scars on me, man.

Well Lively hasn't been too bad recently but the rest, yuck.  And really?  Mike Leake?  Boy did he fall off the cliff after the first month or so of the season.  Sometimes less is best.  Now if the Mariners let Albers pitch again soon that would be nice.  But I wouldn't touch Leake myself.

PS: Kind of glad this is morphing into a strategy thread as well.  We need something like this thread for the rest of the season.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

9 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

bye weeks 

movie tired bored cricket fight club GIF

For some people.

Others use it to be better prepared for next week.

You have more time to analyze.

You are not forced to make a move, that could put you in a disadvantage next week.

Others are.

In add limit leagues you can pick up the players you would have to next week otherwise, and still have the weekly limit intact.

Or, you can keep an activated player on DL a week longer, while keeping a valuable player to others on your roster.

etc...

I'm in the 2nd week of a first round matchup, JD put me in a huge hole in the hitting categories, and my pitching isn't killing it either. Streaming Woodruff didn't help matters so I'm hoping Peters + Stephenson are solid streamers today. I'm down to 3 moves left, probably going to have to use them all on streamers to try to catch him in Ks and QS.

Nice couple of starts from Carrasco and Reynaldo with a save from Greg Holland on the first day of my semifinal matchup. I only had two hitters going, he had 8 and could only muster two RBI. Feeling pretty good so far... I was 28.5 games up on second place so it'd be a shame if I didnt at least make it to the championship matchup. 

I have Cueto going today and thinking of streaming Robert Stephenson but not feeling great about it. Good luck to the rest of you all this week. 

Edited by lbjames6