Pirate

Joel Embiid 2017-2018 Season Outlook

17 hours ago, HarmStrong said:

It's also about managing risk. Which sometimes means putting your team in risky situations.

One of the money leagues I won last year was because people were too afraid to touch Wall and Gobert and I got them on the cheap. No different than what's happening now with Embiid.

It's very doubtful that the owners who initially passed up on Embiid are now going to give up their first round pick up for him. They passed on him because of the risk and there isn't enough evidence yet to suggest that risk should no longer be a concern.

Embiid owners probably picked him late enough in the draft to where they can still survive without him. Having lost my fourth round player last season and still won my league is what gave me the confidence  to accept a trade of Embiid for Oladipo. I had to ask myself 'can I survive losing Oladipo on this team?' and the answer was yes. It was a no-brainer to then take the medium-risk with high-reward situation offered to me. I call it a medium-risk because there is no way Embiid would be getting these minutes if Philly wasn't confident in his health.

You missed or overlooked the part where I prefaced that by saying flipping Embiid for a top 10 asset should be an instant accept for a trade. You kind of missed my point. But I do agree with a bit of what you are saying. What you highlighted are market inefficiencies and attractive risk/rewards in your last draft. Obviously those are key to identify. In terms of trading Embiid for a first/top 10 player, just look at this thread and see how much emotion it contains. I wouldn't assume any trade is off limits until I offered it and it was rejected. Emotion makes people do a lot of irrational things. 

5 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

You missed or overlooked the part where I prefaced that by saying flipping Embiid for a top 10 asset should be an instant accept for a trade. You kind of missed my point. But I do agree with a bit of what you are saying. What you highlighted are market inefficiencies and attractive risk/rewards in your last draft. Obviously those are key to identify. In terms of trading Embiid for a first/top 10 player, just look at this thread and see how much emotion it contains. I wouldn't assume any trade is off limits until I offered it and it was rejected. Emotion makes people do a lot of irrational things. 

Problem is (as @HarmStrong already pointed out) is at this point not many (if any) owners are willing to trade a top 10 player for Embiid.  Especially not in the dynasty league.  He needs to show ability to stay healthy and stay on the floor.

That said, there was a time where people were hesitant or better yet stayed away from Curry because of his ankles.  That is when I pounced on him and got him cheap. Since then he has been pretty healthy (knock on wood).  Anthony Davis we all thought was made of glass.  Now he has also shown the ability to stay relatively healthy.

Winning a fantasy league is about being smart no doubt but it is also about taking risks.  Scared money makes no money.

I don't own Embiid in any of my leagues, but there are certain late first round players that I'd consider shipping away for him. One being Kawhi given his injury situation but no smart Embiid owner is gonna take that. I'd argue that Embiid will make the jump Jokic did last year, and if he stays healthy he's going to go top 5-8 for years to come. 

The guy who owns Davis sold me Embiid in week 1 and has been desperate to get him back. At this point I'd only take Davis and he said he's considering it, but I don't think he'll pull the trigger. If he does I'm fine with that :)

The Embiid owner in our league offered Embiid for my Lillard and I rejected it. I punt blocks, so it doesn't make sense for me, but whenever I think of Embiid, I know theres a potential for him to be a first round player but that always comes at a high risk because he is injury prone. 

Man, right after his best game of the season, he gets injured.

Rough week with both AD and Embiid getting injured :(

10 minutes ago, Apollo_87 said:

He's fine, you are going to give owners a heart attack

1 hour ago, Apollo_87 said:

Come on now. you even watch the game?

10 hours ago, Deathrow said:

Come on now. you even watch the game?

I did. It was an injury scare. Don't tell me you didn't go 'oh s---' when he slammed head first into that padding and then grabbed his head immediately.

1 minute ago, Apollo_87 said:

I did. It was an injury scare. Don't tell me you didn't go 'oh s---' when he slammed head first into that padding and then grabbed his head immediately.

**** yeah I did but I did not come on here right away scaring people lol.  You cannot imagine my relief once he checked back in.

That was a totally unnecessary block attempt btw.

1 minute ago, Deathrow said:

**** yeah I did but I did not come on here right away scaring people lol.  You cannot imagine my relief once he checked back in.

That was a totally unnecessary block attempt btw.

Um, the point of this forum is to share the feeling of living in fear at all times while being an Embiid owner with all other owners. That's like Rule #1 of this thread.

And yea, that was really bad judgement. Think it was just frustration from the double-team barrage that GSW was piling on him in that quarter.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Apollo_87 said:

Um, the point of this forum is to share the feeling of living in fear at all times while being an Embiid owner with all other owners. That's like Rule #1 of this thread.

And yea, that was really bad judgement. Think it was just frustration from the double-team barrage that GSW was piling on him in that quarter.

LOL true i guess.

He is gonna have to get used to plenty of double teams and fouls, especially ones that won't be called always.

Y'all gotta be creative in selling the highest Embiid will ever be valued. Will you get a top-10 straight up? No. However, I was able to get Steph Curry and Draymond Green for Joel Embiid and Kyrie Irving in an extremely competitive league from a smart owner.

Now's the time to sell. There's just no reason not to sell high on Embiid and let someone else do the worrying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve9347 said:

Y'all gotta be creative in selling the highest Embiid will ever be valued. Will you get a top-10 straight up? No. However, I was able to get Steph Curry and Draymond Green for Joel Embiid and Kyrie Irving in an extremely competitive league from a smart owner.

Now's the time to sell. There's just no reason not to sell high on Embiid and let someone else do the worrying.

I got KD for him.

• Haha 2

Is the Embiid thread scarier or Davis thread scarier? I am thinking of a swap but I cannot trade myself out of living every day in fear.

• Haha 2

Just got this guy through a big trade.

Westbrook+Fournier <> Embiid+Chris Paul+Thaddeus Young

I agree with the 'scared money makes no money' comment. just going for the gamble. If he stays healthy and plays at least 50 games from now on, I'm sure this beast will break the top 10 barrier. well, need to keep my finger crossed.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2017 at 2:45 PM, rob0403 said:

Is the Embiid thread scarier or Davis thread scarier? I am thinking of a swap but I cannot trade myself out of living every day in fear.

Imagine having both on the same team. 

5 hours ago, igotbakingsoda said:

Imagine having both on the same team. 

Tell me about it. I picked up AD by trading my 2nd and 5th rounders (Porz+Dipo), and now I live in fear, but it's amazing when they're both playing on the same night and they blow up.

Though, I have Curry on the team as well, so that makes me feel a bit cozy.

28 minutes ago, Apollo_87 said:

Tell me about it. I picked up AD by trading my 2nd and 5th rounders (Porz+Dipo), and now I live in fear, but it's amazing when they're both playing on the same night and they blow up.

Though, I have Curry on the team as well, so that makes me feel a bit cozy.

Damn I didn't have to give up that much for AD. I got him for Dame and Kuz and Embiid for Ben Simmons. Hopefully we stay lucky and have them for a whole season.