PuzzBeterson

Tim Hardaway jr 2017-2018 Outlook

The minutes are there as are the attempts, so he should bounce back sooner than later . . . right? Dude is just having out in one of my 10 team waiver wires. The 3s and points would be a nice addition if he could just drain a shot.

Just took a look at dude's preseason, and it was decent in terms of points and 3s. What the hell happened besides playing with scrubs?

10 minutes ago, mcflywalker said:

Just took a look at dude's preseason, and it was decent in terms of points and 3s. What the hell happened besides playing with scrubs?

Nothing, really.  He's a shooter that only provides value in other things when his shot is falling.  And it's not much reb/ast/stl/blk value even then.   Check out this game log from last year.  I more or less randomly chose only games where he attempted more than 10 shots, and shot 46%+ on them.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=game&year_min=2017&year_max=2018&is_playoffs=N&age_min=0&age_max=99&season_start=1&season_end=-1&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&player_id=hardati02&c1stat=fg_pct&c1comp=gt&c1val=.46&c2stat=fga&c2comp=gt&c2val=10&order_by=pts

This is what good Tim Hardaway is giving you.  The threes are good and the points are great for where you drafted him, but everything is else is just "fine".  When his shot isn't falling, you're not even getting those peripheral numbers.

The thing is that this cold streak is coinciding with the start of the season, so it's freaking people out.  But he had stretches of like this even last year, and he finished 107 in totals.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tom Chambers said:

Nothing, really.  He's a shooter that only provides value in other things when his shot is falling.  And it's not much reb/ast/stl/blk value even then.   Check out this game log from last year.  I more or less randomly chose only games where he attempted more than 10 shots, and shot 46%+ on them.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=game&year_min=2017&year_max=2018&is_playoffs=N&age_min=0&age_max=99&season_start=1&season_end=-1&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&player_id=hardati02&c1stat=fg_pct&c1comp=gt&c1val=.46&c2stat=fga&c2comp=gt&c2val=10&order_by=pts

This is what good Tim Hardaway is giving you.  The threes are good and the points are great for where you drafted him, but everything is else is just "fine".  When his shot isn't falling, you're not even getting those peripheral numbers.

The thing is that this cold streak is coinciding with the start of the season, so it's freaking people out.  But he had stretches of like this even last year, and he finished 107 in totals.

Thanks for the info. The value is there, I'll probably drop a weak BK guy for him (2 games next week).

4 games for Timmy this coming week, could be when he breaks out of this slump.

1 hour ago, Tom Chambers said:

Love that query, I took the liberty of averaging his numbers, so we can see what he averages when he's shooting well:

pts/3pm/reb/ast/stl/blk/to

22/3/3/2.6/.76/.23/1.7

22 pts and 3 3pm, great! But the rest of that line is trash. I'm dropping when the right guy pops up. 

3's is the easiest thing to find off of a waiver wire.

Hell, you can easily pick up CJ Miles or Marco Belinelli for a 3 point streamer and they'll do a better job at that than Hardaway Jr.

• Thanks 2

But you can't get those points. If you don't need them, cool. But I'd trade him, not drop. 

The only league I have him in, he's a last round keeper. So I'm not really frustrated like most owners are.  I can understand not needing him for your build and thus trading him away. .  Can't understand dropping him, though. 

18 hours ago, rage2021 said:

Lool what happened to this guy. Fell off a cliff.

Fell off the monkey bars is more like it. 

21 hours ago, Tom Chambers said:

But you can't get those points. If you don't need them, cool. But I'd trade him, not drop. 

The only league I have him in, he's a last round keeper. So I'm not really frustrated like most owners are.  I can understand not needing him for your build and thus trading him away. .  Can't understand dropping him, though. 

Nobody is trading for him...he'd have to be a throw in player. I'd just wait for someone to drop him before taking him in a deal. Would you trade for him? Of so what would you offer?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IkeDola510 said:

Nobody is trading for him...he'd have to be a throw in player. I'd just wait for someone to drop him before taking him in a deal. Would you trade for him? Of so what would you offer?

Yeah I would.

Again it depends on what your team already has and what you need, which gets complicated.  But like if I had Jordan Clarkson and wanted more of the same but better, I'd dangle him.   Someone's excited about Donovan Mitchell and I have him?  I'd give him up for THJ.  JJ Redick. For other types of players, move Sabonis for him before Turner comes back, for example.  Trevor Booker, maybe/

But again, if you're punting points, he's worthless.  If you're not punting FG%, he's almost worthless.  It's all about your build.

2 minutes ago, Tom Chambers said:

Yeah I would.

Again it depends on what your team already has and what you need, which gets complicated.  But like if I had Jordan Clarkson and wanted more of the same but better, I'd dangle him.   Someone's excited about Donovan Mitchell and I have him?  I'd give him up for THJ.  JJ Redick. For other types of players, move Sabonis for him before Turner comes back, for example.  Trevor Booker, maybe/

But again, if you're punting points, he's worthless.  If you're not punting FG%, he's almost worthless.  It's all about your build.

That's fair and understandable. I don't own him but I was targeting him this year. I see him struggling...I guess now would be the perfect time to grab him low though. I think the rookie Frank N will be the guy I want though. 

5 hours ago, IkeDola510 said:

That's fair and understandable. I don't own him but I was targeting him this year. I see him struggling...I guess now would be the perfect time to grab him low though. I think the rookie Frank N will be the guy I want though. 

Whats his value currently in 9cat? Who would you offer to for him?

The guy was just dropped in my 11team league.

Sometimes it takes a push start, shooting wise.  I didn't watch much of the previous games, but in this game a couple of his first shots were the result of an offensive rebound and an alley oop.  He just now was cutting to the basket and got an easy lay up. 

Just a few easy makes can get shooters' confidence up and then their shooting comes around.

Huge mistake for anyone that dropped. #2 option on the Knicks, only problem was his shot wasn’t falling.

run back to pick him up if it’s not too late.