Sign in to follow this  
herschel

Jalen Richard 2017 Outlook

Nothing on this guy?  Looked pretty explosive yesterday with limited touches.  I can see him working his way into more playing time so they can try and preserve Lynch.  Thoughts?

2 hours ago, herschel said:

Nothing on this guy?  Looked pretty explosive yesterday with limited touches.  I can see him working his way into more playing time so they can try and preserve Lynch.  Thoughts?

He looked like he was shot out of a cannon on that touchdown.  Clear handcuff for beastmode

Anyone putting down FAAB money for this guy (deeper leagues)?  Looking at 2016 numbers he has a history of breaking off long plays in limited usage:  75 yard run Week 17, other runs throughout the season of 28, 23, 21, 19 yards, and 29 and 22 yard receptions, all coming in 83 carries and 29 receptions.  5.9 YPC.  Why isn't OAK giving this guy more play??

The only thing not to like is the situation.  Beast Mode is the obvious lead back and won't be giving that job up anytime soon, unless it's by injury.  OAK also has Washington, who is a carbon copy of Richard size-wise, who also averaged 5.4 YPC last season while breaking off some bigger gains, and who they seem to like to give roughly equal snaps to as Richard.  This really limits Richard's upside, as it's not like Washington stinks and is an easy bench either.  

I just don't see why OAK would change the usage patterns, which is to run it 15-20 times with their lead back (Lynch, formerly Murray), and then sprinkle in 5-6 touches for each of Richard and Washington.  It's been working for them, they put up points, Richard and Washington both regularly go for long gains, and everyone is happy except fantasy owners.

On 9/20/2017 at 7:29 AM, handyandy86 said:

Anyone putting down FAAB money for this guy (deeper leagues)?  Looking at 2016 numbers he has a history of breaking off long plays in limited usage:  75 yard run Week 17, other runs throughout the season of 28, 23, 21, 19 yards, and 29 and 22 yard receptions, all coming in 83 carries and 29 receptions.  5.9 YPC.  Why isn't OAK giving this guy more play??

The only thing not to like is the situation.  Beast Mode is the obvious lead back and won't be giving that job up anytime soon, unless it's by injury.  OAK also has Washington, who is a carbon copy of Richard size-wise, who also averaged 5.4 YPC last season while breaking off some bigger gains, and who they seem to like to give roughly equal snaps to as Richard.  This really limits Richard's upside, as it's not like Washington stinks and is an easy bench either.  

I just don't see why OAK would change the usage patterns, which is to run it 15-20 times with their lead back (Lynch, formerly Murray), and then sprinkle in 5-6 touches for each of Richard and Washington.  It's been working for them, they put up points, Richard and Washington both regularly go for long gains, and everyone is happy except fantasy owners.

Everything you said here is spot on. Richard has consistently proven that he's a big play waiting to happen when given opportunities and looks like the most complete back in Oakland. I got him for free after waivers cleared in a 16-teamer yesterday and will hold ROS. There are so many RBs injured and under-performing this season. Richard is one of the best end-of-bench options right now even if Lynch plays all season healthy. Washington hasn't been near as effective in 2017 as he was in 2016, which may lead to Richard getting more touches.

He's a great emergency start even with 6-8 touches because all he needs is one for a big fantasy day.

36 minutes ago, Poohdini said:

Is this guy worth the stash for non marshawn lynch owners?

Same question

Moving forward, I expect Richard to be more involved. With Carr out weeks, Richard will be leaned on more as a safety net for Manuel. Oakland has one of the better offensive lines in the league and Lynch has been ineffective. Richard has had a great ypc average his first 2 years in the league and I fully expect the coaching staff to change their playcalling with Carr out. He's also the best pass catching back on the team and is dangerous in space. I wouldn't  be surprised if Richard gets the majority of touches later in the season even with Carr back. Definitely a bench stash for me.

Edited by Skins33

Playing the Chargers this week.  Lynch has been ineffective and Washington is nursing a hammy.  Richard has been by far the most impressive runner in this backfield so far. 

Richard might be a sneaky bye week play.  

Definitely a sleeper that not many have been talking about. I’d pick him up ASAP. Play him at flex or if you have space stash him. I don’t see lynch lasting a whole season 

If Washington returns would that have any impact at all or does this guy have a clear path to first team reps?

3 minutes ago, munygon2 said:

If Washington returns would that have any impact at all or does this guy have a clear path to first team reps?

His reps would definitely take a hit. But I believe Washington won’t be playing this week. Facing the chargers will be a great opportunity to show he’s relevant. I think both him and lynch will eat. They’ll definitely run the ball more if Carr is out. If he does come back I’d see a lot of dump offs. 

Stashed for TNF. I like his upside especially in PPR if old man Lynch goes down although Washington will hang around and be annoying

Well I scooped before the game and I'm not going to drop him before Sunday but I wish I was more excited. After Lynch went out he was out touched by Washington. That may be attributed to the first drive of the 2nd half which was a long drive and Washington racked up touches. It looks like they might be essentially alternating series. Richard probably has more value in PPR than standard. 

2nd half touches:

Richard - 5

Washington - 9

26 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Any opinions which one (Richard or Washington) for the sneaky play with Lynch out?

It's a tough call, but I'd say Richard, especially in any sort of PPR league. Washington might siphon some goal line carries, but Richard is the more explosive player and was generally the COP back for Lynch this year. I think there's a good chance that Oakland is playing from behind and that Richard gets some good opportunities on checkdowns and passes to the flat if the Bills D line can put pressure on the QB.

Decent PPR flex play this week, but when Lynch comes back next week it's likely back to the WW. 

If he really killed it this week I could see him gaining a bigger share even when Lynch comes back, but likely him and Washington split today 50/50 and it goes back to status quo next week.