GmGodine

Gorgui Dieng 2017-2018 Season Outlook

2 minutes ago, Cbridge617 said:

He had a pretty good game last game, anything to see here?

I don't think he'll have much value barring a KAT or Gibson injury.

I'm still going to hold him for another few weeks though. Mostly because I'm stubborn and drafted him with a late mid round pick..

I am astouded people used a mid round pick on this guy (someone did in my league too) after the Taj signing. Did people think Taj would only be playing 18-20 minutes off the bench or was it thought Dieng could be a 1-1-1 guy on a handful of field goal attempts and rebounds per game?

6 hours ago, JStyles said:

I am astouded people used a mid round pick on this guy (someone did in my league too) after the Taj signing. Did people think Taj would only be playing 18-20 minutes off the bench or was it thought Dieng could be a 1-1-1 guy on a handful of field goal attempts and rebounds per game?

I'm in dynasty, so I can't speak to draft position specifically, but I think the idea was that even Tom Thibodeau couldn't be loyal/stubborn enough to play Taj Gibson big minutes over someone who is four years younger, has nowhere near the injury history, and is better at scoring, rebounding, getting and making free throws, and not turning the ball over--or, in other words, the things that win basketball games.

People just misjudged Thibs.

7 hours ago, JStyles said:

I was higher on him than most and I wouldn’t say I spent a midround pick on him.  More like $5-10 in auctions and 9th round in snake.  Meadowlark is exactly correct.  I’ve seen a lot Dieng clips and unlike most people I actually think he’s a good real life player.  He has good range on offense, good post moves, and can hit a free throw.  On defense he has quick feet, good timing, good reach to get swats without gambling.  He’s young and has pretty much never missed a game in his entire NBA career.  Yes, I overestimated Thibs.  I thought he would play Gibson more than he should but still be reasonable enough to play Dieng 20+ minutes.  Given that he had played 27 MPG in previous seasons and hit top 50 value I reasoned he had top 75 potential because even if he played slightly fewer minutes he would be rosterable in 9 cat based on efficiency and stocks.  So I took a flyer on him for a few bucks just to see if Thibs would play him.  Unfortunately, he didn’t play enough minutes to be viable. However, he was hardly the biggest bust this season given he only cost a few dollars, and there have been several players this season who cost a lot more than Dieng and whose value has fallen well short of their cost. 

Edited by StifleTower2

Worth picking up in a 12 team (using #6 waiver spot) or nah?

Edit: Oops is this the wrong place to ask?

Edited by hardyharhar

14 minutes ago, hardyharhar said:

Worth picking up in a 12 team (using #6 waiver spot) or nah?

Edit: Oops is this the wrong place to ask?

It is. You'll wanna go to the AC forum. 

3 minutes ago, theantishere said:

It is. You'll wanna go to the AC forum. 

Got it. So let me rephrase...You guys see think his production in limited can be maintained? ;)

He's been doing pretty well in November.

5 minutes ago, hardyharhar said:

Got it. So let me rephrase...You guys see think his production in limited can be maintained? ;)

He's been doing pretty well in November.

No, he's going to be putrid unless Towns or Gibson gets injured or Thibodeau dies. Dieng played unusually high minutes in two games this month because of Towns's foul trouble in one and garbage time in the other. You can't rely on those kinds of situations for production, and now he has been out for the last two games.

KAT foul trouble but is there anything to see here?

Belly also out so prob not hey?

36 minutes ago, Kamura said:

KAT foul trouble but is there anything to see here?

Belly also out so prob not hey?

Cut off taj's legs and then you can add him