dekciw_1

Kawhi Leonard 2017-2018 Season Outlook

3 hours ago, Born_Slippy said:

So Kawhi would have played all of 5 games in the Western Conference finals if it wasn't for the ankle, he played 74 out of 82 games of the reg season last year.

He's had 5-6 months to recover from an injury that is 'due to overuse' although it's been the off season.

Does this sound strange to you?

Who's his coach? 

Dr Kal is on the money 

He has tendinopathy. It's a chronic muscle issue that can reoccur due to overuse. It is not something you "recover" from. Does this sound unusual to you? Do you think someone that has had this issue in the past is lying? 

Edited by lbjames6

CSB incoming, but as a gauge of his value - I picked 6th in a snake draft 12 team league last night and he fell to me in the second round at pick 19. Needless to say I was ecstatic and scooped him immediately there.

People are wary about the quad issue but supposedly he was dealing with it last season and was perfectly fine from a fantasy perspective. If you can get him in the mid-2nd I don't see how you can pass - the upside is just too great. He's a top 5 asset in 9 cat when he's right. 

To piggyback the who-to-pair him with questions above, my first 3 picks were Curry, Leonard, Blake if anyone is wondering

• Like 2

4 hours ago, atlantadynasty said:

If I have the 8-10th pick in my draft and he falls there, then I'll be super happy

I have #8 and I am more than sure he falls there, but I still can't be happy. As I remember I drafted 3 years ago George Hill who supposed to be ready for opener, but he missed entire month. Recent information has been insufficient, I can't risk. Hill was 5th round pick at deep league, but Kawhi is 1st round pick...

I would be super happy with him at 8 if he was fully healthy, however now I'm not sure if I should risk passing up on him and hope he comes back on the wrap around in a 12 team. 

He just slipped to 11 and I nabbed him. Would be nice to know the timetable though. Im kind of scared of Pop

35 minutes ago, a-rob said:

what is his status? there is no update whatsoever on kawhi.

Yeah my draft is tomorrow. 

Im worried too. 

38 minutes ago, Born_Slippy said:

Take Jokic or LBJ if you are worried. You'll be sorry 

Here is the problem that you just say it. I know very well that Kawhi is better than LBJ or Jokic. But if he plays 65 matches and LBJ plays 75, Jokic 80, he is not better anymore. Maybe it means that you know he is ready for opener? If you don't know, you can't say it.

On 30/09/2017 at 7:00 PM, El_Chingon said:

It is preseason.  Hopefully in leagues where I don't own him, I can get him at a discount from owners who overreact like the RW blurbs.

Overreact? What are you talking about?

The blurbs and the fact hes not playing or training is directly connected with the injury that sidelined him in the playoffs. Its not like he has an ankle sprain or a jammed finger.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dekciw_1 said:

The blurbs and the fact hes not playing or training is directly connected with the injury that sidelined him in the playoffs. Its not like he has an ankle sprain or a jammed finger.

I dont understand with the lack of news and timetable how people are still so confident in drafting him with conviction in the first round. I just dont get it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

I dont understand with the lack of news and timetable how people are still so confident in drafting him with conviction in the first round. I just dont get it. 

Yeah I don't get it either. I'm chomping at the bit for any sort of news. I've been scouring Twitter for any and all updates and I've seen nothing. No videos or reports of him practicing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

Yeah I don't get it either. I'm chomping at the bit for any sort of news. I've been scouring Twitter for any and all updates and I've seen nothing. No videos or reports of him practicing.

Just found this

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

Just found this

Doesnt look like hes doing much

54 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

Just found this

i saw guys in the wheelchair league with more movement than this....not optimistic with this vid lol

• Haha 1

My two cents. I passed up on him for Boogie in the 2nd round.  I think he could be back week 1 or could be out a month or more. I think they have no reason to rush him at all and he could also miss games throughout the season. He's hard to pass up but I just didn't want to deal with the drama. 

More with regards to real for Spurs fans  than fantasy but it's typical Wanker move by popovic. They obviously know if it's a day to day or a multiple week thing. In saying that, if it he was gonna miss first couple weeks of start of season i think even they would've announce it by now. 

I really wanted him this year but I'm not sure I can stomach spending big money on a player with an injury playing for pop.

17 hours ago, dekciw_1 said:

the playoffs WAS the ankle though ...... isnt this a quad?

1 hour ago, Quazza said:

the playoffs WAS the ankle though ...... isnt this a quad?

Correct, it was his ankle when he landed on Zaza.

The last time anything was mentioned about his Quad was Feb 2016

I continue to advocate avoiding this situation with the potential risk possibility. Just doesnt sound good. 

kawhi Leonard (quad) is still without a clear timetable for his return.

Back in late September, the Spurs announced Leonard would miss the entire preseason while continuing a rehab program for right quadriceps tendinopathy. Friday is the Spurs preseason finale; however, we still are unsure if Kawhi is on pace to play in San Antonio's regular-season opener on October 18th. "We’ve seen him in the gym and in rehab, but he hasn’t scrimmaged, so it’s hard to tell what stage he is in," Manu Ginobili said after practice Thursday. "It’s a question mark."

11 minutes ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

I continue to advocate avoiding this situation with the potential risk possibility. Just doesnt sound good. 

Back in late September, the Spurs announced Leonard would miss the entire preseason while continuing a rehab program for right quadriceps tendinopathy. Friday is the Spurs preseason finale; however, we still are unsure if Kawhi is on pace to play in San Antonio's regular-season opener on October 18th. "We’ve seen him in the gym and in rehab, but he hasn’t scrimmaged, so it’s hard to tell what stage he is in," Manu Ginobili said after practice Thursday. "It’s a question mark."

I got a draft in 24 hours. Don’t know my draft position yet but I’ll let it be someone else’s problem even if it lands on me at the last pick at 14. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

Unless Manu Ginobili is just flat out lying, I'm completely avoiding now unless something changes in the next 72 hours.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

I agree with caution, but I think we should be trying to figure out this puzzle a little more because the reward (Kawhi) is worth a lot.

So what do we know for sure....nothing. Literally nothing. 

So what can we learn from the past.

One, the Spurs don't really care about playoff seeding as much as they care about health and momentum into the playoffs. 

Two, the league has some anti-rest measures. I don't think this impacts Pop too much. But they will be watching. 

Three, the Spurs just don't care about the regular season. They are the team equivalent of Lebron.

Four, Kawhi doesn't have a bone break or ligament tear. Technically, how would the league know when tendinitis hits a player and they need to take a rest? 

We don't know much. Even speculating on the past, we don't know much. Personally, I think this is a way to shorten the season for Kawhi. So the question is how short do they make the season for him? I would tie this to winning. So I looked at their schedule. Here are the early games.

Minn, @ Chi, Tor, @ Mia, @ Orl, @ Ind, @ Bost, GS, Char, Phx, LAC, Milw, Chi, @ Dal, @ Minn, OKC, Atl, @ NOP, @ Char, Dal, Mem, @ Mem, @ OKC, Det, Mia, Bost, Phx, @ Dal.....and that gets you to mid-December. Their schedule is very tough in March and April, but it is soft to start the year. Even without Kawhi I think they win 60% of those games. 28 games and 9 are against bad teams with no chance of the playoffs. Then you have the Charlottes, Memphis, Miami, NOP of the league and I am putting them at 50/50 at least vs. them even without Kawhi. 

The more I look at this the more I think Pop shortens his season. How long is based on how long the team is competitive without him. The first 14 games seem like low priorities to get Kawhi active. 

But, he could be active opening day. I am worried enough by the soft schedule to push him well into the second round at this point. 

• Like 1

The Spurs won't win games without Kawhi, it's that simple.

Murray (no comment)

Green (can't shoot to save himself)

Gay (coming off serious injury)

LMA (has never fit at the Spurs)

Gasol (DNP - OLD)

I can't see how anyone let alone a organization like the Spurs thinks that is a competitive team especially in the Western Conference.